E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
jonedge@aol.com

My Ride: 02 M3/00 M Roadster
Atlanta BMW Experienced Audio Installer?

Hey all, I need to get my M3 with the BSW system looked at by an experienced installer. I have an issue where if I go over a stout bump, my right front speakers come in and out. When they're out, I get heinous alternator whine. I've had the thing looked at by the guys at 2point5, and they suggested a new amp, but that didn't fix the issue. They are knowledgable, butdon't do installs all the time so I want to try another shop to get it troubleshot.

Jason from BSW told me on their Facebook page the following:

<
If hitting a bump is causing the issues, I might actually look at the front passenger speakers themselves. A crossover may have had an internal component come loose, or one of the speakers may have some sort of a structural issue. The ...easiest thing to do would be to disconnect the passenger front speaker from the amplifier (at the amplifier) and see if the issue persists. If not, the issue was the speaker (or crossover). If it does persist, it could be the amplifier, or possibly the head unit.

-Jason>>

Problem is that I'm a complete retard when it comes to this stuff so I really need to take it somewhere. I tried Cartunes but they ignored me completely when I tried to book an appointment. Any other reputable shops that are good with high end cars? Would appreciate any help.....

www.halcyonway.com - the band
www.theperpetual.com - the day job

\M/
jonedge@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I think BSW is located in Atlanta...can't they help you out?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
jonedge@aol.com

They are, they actually did the install back in about 2004 for me, but they don't do installs any longer. They did a great job, wish they did, this is the first issue I've had and it's like 6 years in.

\M/
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I would check any connections first. Especially if a connection is crimped. If you are getting an alternator whine, I would suspect that you either have a bad ground somewhere or a bad RCA. I think a bad RCA would top my list.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
jonedge@aol.com

I'm thinking it's got to be something pretty simple like that, but I need someone to do it for me because I really have no idea what I'm doing...

\M/