E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #1201
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by piers View Post
trbovnm, after playing with the ipod interface, I agree, makes sense to go with the a/v cable solution. one more basic question, can you describe the type of a/v cable i need to purchase... thanks for your help.
Piers, you want an ipod composite video cord....there are zillions of them out there. It is just an ipod plug on one end and a AV RCA plugs on the other, like you would use to hook up to any TV.

I should point out that if you are a "shuffler" on your ipod, or if you are a heavy podcast or audiobook user, going the AUX in route is almost surely going to make you happier than trying to use the dynavins ipod interface.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #1202
Avet4

My Ride: 2004 330i 6spd
Ok I just installed mine this morning. Thanks to Jeff it went really easy. I do have a few questions and comments though.

My screen is not matte like the first post in this thread says..at all.. it's actually very shiny. Am I misunderstanding the term?

Secondly... I am left very hopeless with many aspects of it's functionality.

While watching a DVD the volume will mute itself randomly. I don't have anything else going on while this happens. I'm simply sitting in the car, parked, with the movie playing. Also along with the volume muting, the zoom function activates on it's own as well. By zoom function I mean it displays the word "zoom" on the screen. Nothing actually changes with the image other than the word appearing. It stays there unless I stop playback and resume again.

Lastly somehow all the settings went haywire after I had already adjusted them. The text changed to chinese, but I was able to fix it. Also it asked me multiple times to calibrate the screen.

The problem I'm stuck with now is that the navigation won't work because "navigation software not found". I used it earlier, but now it doesn't work. I'm not sure how this all happened.

Anybody else experience these issues? Any suggestions?

Last edited by Avet4; 01-09-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Avet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #1203
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
You need to let the memory battery charge up overnight and it wont loose your settings anymore.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #1204
dcr33313

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
dcr33313,
It sounds like connection issues. I would pull the unit out and check connections. It fits so tightly that its very easy to pull a speaker connection apart while fitting it all in.

Back light doesnt seem to adjust on V5. I have heard the earlier versions did.

The sound quality should not be worse. Do you have DSP?
I was thinking it might be the connections. I haven't had any time yet to remove the system and check the connections though. I don't think that's the problem with the iPod though since I can access the iPod menus fine, it just the audio that isn't working.

I do have DSP, and on further review (using a CD this time), I think the audio is actually on par.

Thanks Flybot.
dcr33313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #1205
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet4 View Post
Ok I just installed mine this morning. Thanks to Jeff it went really easy. I do have a few questions and comments though.

My screen is not matte like the first post in this thread says..at all.. it's actually very shiny. Am I misunderstanding the term?

Secondly... I am left very hopeless with many aspects of it's functionality.

While watching a DVD the volume will mute itself randomly. I don't have anything else going on while this happens. I'm simply sitting in the car, parked, with the movie playing. Also along with the volume muting, the zoom function activates on it's own as well. By zoom function I mean it displays the word "zoom" on the screen. Nothing actually changes with the image other than the word appearing. It stays there unless I stop playback and resume again.

Lastly somehow all the settings went haywire after I had already adjusted them. The text changed to chinese, but I was able to fix it. Also it asked me multiple times to calibrate the screen.

The problem I'm stuck with now is that the navigation won't work because "navigation software not found". I used it earlier, but now it doesn't work. I'm not sure how this all happened.

Anybody else experience these issues? Any suggestions?
Losing the settings, Its in the FAQ #29

same with the nav not found...its the same thing, not a problem, it will stop doing that after a day or two.

The other issue with the dvd....are you using a screen protector? It sounds like something is putting pressure on the screen??? Or maybe you need to set some of the settings on the nav side of the unit....it might be interrupting (also see the FAQ)

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-09-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #1206
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piers View Post
trbovnm, after playing with the ipod interface, I agree, makes sense to go with the a/v cable solution. one more basic question, can you describe the type of a/v cable i need to purchase... thanks for your help.
I would recommend getting the one that Jeff sells. I have that one and it works fine. I thought I had a problem with it, but turned out to be something else. So I had purchased an apple cable that has A/V connections and a USB connection. The USB was supposed to be for charging, but I could never get it to charge no matter which USB I connected it to. So I have an apple cable here I need to sell or use with my TV's in the house.

Conclusion, get the cable from Jeff.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #1207
Avet4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Losing the settings, Its in the FAQ #29

same with the nav not found...its the same thing, not a problem, it will stop doing that after a day or two.

The other issue with the dvd....are you using a screen protector? It sounds like something is putting pressure on the screen??? Or maybe you need to set some of the settings on the nav side of the unit....it might be interrupting (also see the FAQ)
Thanks, I'll just wait a couple days.

No, no screen protector. I took the plastic protector off that came with the unit.

Also I don't quiet understand what I'm supposed to do to pair the bluetooth with my phone. I have an Evo 4g and I enable the bluetooth on it but I don't know what I'm supposed to do on the dynavin to pair them. Is it supposed to recognize it automatically?

Last edited by Avet4; 01-09-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #1208
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
go to bluetooth on the dynavin. and on your cell it should find it or force it to search and again, should find it and connect or authorize your phone to connect to it. It should say connect on the dynavin when they are connected.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #1209
Avet4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOVNM View Post
go to bluetooth on the dynavin. and on your cell it should find it or force it to search and again, should find it and connect or authorize your phone to connect to it. It should say connect on the dynavin when they are connected.
ah ok so I connect from the phone, not from the dynavin?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #1210
juslookin

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
while im listening to a cd and change a track i can slightly hear the radio in the background. also the radio on volume 20 is WAYYY louder than the cd on volume 20.
juslookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #1211
Avet4

Quote:
Originally Posted by juslookin View Post
while im listening to a cd and change a track i can slightly hear the radio in the background. also the radio on volume 20 is WAYYY louder than the cd on volume 20.
Nothing can be done at the moment about the volume difference from what I've read.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #1212
J&T Distributing

the volume difference has been discussed at length, part of it is the dynavin and part of it is the radio market you are in. it is worse in some markets than others. It is just the way it is.

Avet4, connect from your phone, it is called carkit....0000 if you need a pin number

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-10-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #1213
juslookin

Quote:
the volume difference has been discussed at length, part of it is the dynavin and part of it is the radio market you are in. it is worse in some markets than others. It is just the way it is.
What about y I can slightly hear the radio when changing a cd track? Is it related to your previous answer?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #1214
AtodahK

My Ride: M 1.5
still no ipod resume update? really dont want to take this thing back out to put in a aux cable

anybody in the tri-state area need installation done pm me!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #1215
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by juslookin View Post
What about y I can slightly hear the radio when changing a cd track? Is it related to your previous answer?
Thats kind of an odd one...I havent heard a report of radio bleed in months....forgive me if you already answered this but you ARE using the LOCs right? Thats what they are for. If it becomes an issue you could always use an inexpensive adjustable LOC to reduce the head unit volume further (and the noise along with it) That is what we used to do before dynavin started including the LOCs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtodahK View Post
still no ipod resume update? really dont want to take this thing back out to put in a aux cable
Nope. I find myself using the AUX in cable or the bluetooth audio more and more these days.....

Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #1216
juslookin

Quote:
Thats kind of an odd one...I havent heard a report of radio bleed in months....forgive me if you already answered this but you ARE using the LOCs right? Thats what they are for. If it becomes an issue you could always use an inexpensive adjustable LOC to reduce the head unit volume further (and the noise along with it) That is what we used to do before dynavin started including the LOCs....
I'm only using the LOC with the dark colored wires. I removed the green and purple one because there was minimal sound from the rear. There is an LOC hooked up in the trunk for my BSW sub tho.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #1217
Tho///a5

My Ride: 2k M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet4 View Post
Thanks, I'll just wait a couple days.

No, no screen protector. I took the plastic protector off that came with the unit.

Also I don't quiet understand what I'm supposed to do to pair the bluetooth with my phone. I have an Evo 4g and I enable the bluetooth on it but I don't know what I'm supposed to do on the dynavin to pair them. Is it supposed to recognize it automatically?
On the evo go to settings > Bluetooth> scan for devices
Car kit will be a found device. Use 0000 as the pin code to pair. Your phone is now paired make a test call to try it out. By default it should allow audio and voice. Try playing music while in telephone mode from the evo's music app to test it out.
Tho///a5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #1218
Tho///a5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtodahK View Post

anybody in the tri-state area need installation done pm me!
seriously no ipod resume is bullshit! Anytime u get a phone call or turn off the car it cuts.... talk about design flaw. How many of u have gotten time out errors? I've been getting those back to back lately. Why god?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #1219
Avet4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tho///a5 View Post
On the evo go to settings > Bluetooth> scan for devices
Car kit will be a found device. Use 0000 as the pin code to pair. Your phone is now paired make a test call to try it out. By default it should allow audio and voice. Try playing music while in telephone mode from the evo's music app to test it out.
Thanks I got it to work but its glitchy as hell. It makes calls on it's own and keeps mutng and unmuting itself.

I eventually unpaired it but the muting continued in ipod mode. I made sure the nav was exited incase that was causing the muting, and even took out the dcs disc. Turning off and restarting didn't help.

Finally restarted the car and now its fine again.

Anybody else experience the random bluetooth dialing or random muting?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #1220
Tho///a5

I had glitchy phone calls but it fixed after a phone restart, not a headunit restart.