E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
Collegefour

My Ride: 2001 Tpz Blue 330Ci
Installed new head unit - weirdness ensues

First of all, thank you to Delmarco and whoever runs my330i.com for your excellent DIY's.
So, I have an 01 330Ci. I decided to upgrade the stereo, and bought a HU from an 06 M3. I fabricated an AUX cable, as I want to integrate my MP3 player as well. I bought the antenna adapter cables from ebay, and I also got an upgraded antenna amplifier, per instructions. I DO NOT yet have the antenna amplifier in hand.
I pulled the old HU out no problem. The new antenna cables plugged right in to both the car and the new (to me) HU. I also plugged in the fabricated AUX cable. Result:No AUX (Ok fine, I probably screwed up the fabrication on my cable) AND PERFECT RADIO RECEPTION!!!! Now, my understanding is that newer HU's don't work with old antenna amplifiers, hence the reason I have a new one on the way. But I expected to have NO AM/FM radio reception, and instead I have excellent radio reception! How is this possible? I checked the amplifier and verified that it is the old type prior to ordering the new one! Just to make sure I didn't get baited and switched on the new HU, I burned an MP3 disk with over 200 songs, and it plays perfectly!
Now, I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I spent $50 bucks for the new antenna amplifier, and it looks like I don't need it. I would be very interested to hear an explanation of how the hell the old antenna amplifier is working with the new HU, because my understanding is that it wouldn't.

There is no Civilization without the "Civil" part.
Collegefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Aux In only functions when something is plugged into the cable. It detect the MP3 player as a load and enable the Aux In. As for the FM amp, it may beproviding a signal but not at its best. Drive to an area of weak coverage or in a built up area and you may see the FM start to struggle. I am surprised a 330i has the ld FM amp. I thought the switch to NG came with the switch to the M54 engine in 09/99. You definitely have the two coax cables, and needed to leave one unplugged behind the HU?
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Collegefour

Correct. Two co ax cables behind the HU, one left unplugged. I just finished remaking the AUX cable. And when it was tested the first time, it was with the MP3 player attached and playing, as it will be when tested again.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Collegefour

Hmmm. Interesting. The fabricated AUX cable didn't work again. So I re-fabricated it AGAIN, this time removing all resistors/capacitors, and went with just straight line wires. It worked. I hope it continues to work after I hard wire it in and then provide power to recharge it. *crosses fingers*

Old 01-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Very interesting but I think the head unit you bought may have come out from an 06 M3 but I'm sure it did not originally come in the 06 M3.

The lack of a working AUX-IN and the fact that you state both antenna cables in your 01 car fit perfectly onto "both" antenna inputs on the new radio says that the new radio is the old style radio. The new style head unit ONLY have one antenna input and it is the fakra style antenna input.

I would like to see a picture of the new radio? Does it have a CD button or does it have a MODE button on the front?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
Collegefour

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Very interesting but I think the head unit you bought may have come out from an 06 M3 but I'm sure it did not originally come in the 06 M3.

The lack of a working AUX-IN and the fact that you state both antenna cables in your 01 car fit perfectly onto "both" antenna inputs on the new radio says that the new radio is the old style radio. The new style head unit ONLY have one antenna input and it is the fakra style antenna input.

I would like to see a picture of the new radio? Does it have a CD button or does it have a MODE button on the front?
I searched ebay until I found a HU that corresponded EXACTLY with the part number you listed in your upgrade thread (65.12-6-961-215). The AUX in DOES work now that I did a good job on the fabrication of the cable. (What a PITA that thing was! My sautering skills must suck )

When I said "both" antenna inputs, I meant one at the car side, and the other at the radio side (the Metra adapter cables you described from ebay). I did remove the antenna lead for the diversity antenna on the old HU that looked exactly like the one in your pictures, and did not connect it to anything with the new HU, but I still have great reception! As good if not better than I ever had with the old HU!

I also got the new antenna amplifier today, but I think I'm just going to leave it in the glove box uninstalled until such time as I think I need it, then maybe I'll swap it out.

Edit: Oh, the new HU has a mode button if I didn't make that clear.

Last edited by Collegefour; 01-11-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefour View Post
Hmmm. Interesting. The fabricated AUX cable didn't work again. So I re-fabricated it AGAIN, this time removing all resistors/capacitors, and went with just straight line wires. It worked. I hope it continues to work after I hard wire it in and then provide power to recharge it. *crosses fingers*
The power may be an issue. Ground loops reside between the HU and the cig lighter socket, causing certain fruit based MP3 players to stop charging or outputting audio or display the "accesory not compatible" message or something.

I'd pick up my power and GND at the HU to do a good job.

As to the amp, you may find it's not as good as expected once you get out into area of poor coverage.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote