E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
330iZHPftw

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP, SV650
20 hp and 27 ft.lbs gain from aFe intake

According to the ECS Tuning website, they indicate that the aFe Pro Intake System [assumed by itself] will produce "dyno proven" power increases of 20 hp and 27 ft.lbs of torque gain on an M54 engine over stock!?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...take/ES264138/

If they're going to claim that sort of increase from an intake [only] and say it's dyno proven, please show me that dyno sheet. Does anybody have dyno results of aFe intake mod only vs stock?

*nothing against ECS Tuning as they are easily my favorite place to buy parts/maintenance items from for their great service and prices, but this might be a bit misleading

**not to beat a dead horse, intake debates are a dime a dozen

***seriously..20 hp for <$400 on an M54 would be the holy grail

Last edited by 330iZHPftw; 01-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.
330iZHPftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
nope sorry. you wont get those kinds of improvements. at least not with just the intake. intake plus headers and you might see 15 rwhp.

however you would see about 20 at the crank i imagine.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
if I got 20hp and 27ft tq...my DYNO would be much higher...

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
RAFF112

My Ride: 325ci M3 cbr 600rr
LOL at this thread.

VCSL Front 18/13 Spacers Full Borla V2 K&N drop-in w/custom tube LED Interior air horn BMW performance shift Knob Seibon Hood LED DRL Dynavin Depo corners RE rear camber arms and Vogtland Springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
I used to think love exists. Turns out it's a manifestation of insecurities and boredom.
RAFF112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
I8UrCat

My Ride: 06 325CI M-Sport
You'd get those gains if your stock filter is clogged with dirt and dust, beyond that rots of ruck.
I8UrCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
B33MER

My Ride: 330i SMG M-Sport
Buy it and do a dyno then post your findings!
CF Roundels all around, Black grillz, 7000k Angel eyes,6300k HID fog lights, Hamman Lip reps, ACS roof spoiler reps, Alutech front and rear struts, BMC CDA with DIY heatshield, Pro RS braided brake line, ///M Billet Oil Cap, OEM ///M mats, ///M aluminium pedals,

B33MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
BadBoostedBmwM3

My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
Those numbers are probably the most gains throughout the entire power band. NOT the peak gains.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
zmainiac

My Ride: 2000 323ci
My 2000 323 ci did 154/150 with one of those intakes and a cat back so it's not too far off. Not the best design in my opinion though. What's the percent drivetrain loss for our cars.
zmainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
A few things I don't like about the aFe systems

They are so heavy - Why not make it out of aluminum and glue a thermal barrier on the outside? If you want to make it a true Cold Air Intake, you have to minimize the radiant heat. Black steel gets hot, thus does a great job at radiating heat. Aluminum does it too but with a thermal barrier, it's better (plus the whole package is lighter).

They don't seal off very well around the body - Get a better fit and a seal against the body. Why allow more heat with air gaps?

The power gains are similar for other competing products - You can get a K&N and throw it on the MAF and get similar results. Actually, you could wrap up your stock intake with a thermal barrier and throw in a K&N drop in filter. That way, you have a really good sealed system and you are insulating it.

Remember, running a car on a chassis dyno is one thing but driving down the road at 80 mph is another. Also, I'd like to see what the dyno pulls are like after about 50 of them in a row. On the track, we are running multiple dyno pulls each lap. If you don't minimize the heat transfer, the DME just starts backing the engine down, thus a loss of power.

Tags
afe intake