E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
timored

My Ride: 2007 335I e92 JB
Help Radiator

Hello I need very urgent help. I need to replace my radiator. I have a 2004 325i Automatic and I want to replace the radiator because its leaking.

My first and most important question.

1. Do i need to take off the bumper to do that?

2. I already took off the expansion tank. What goes next?

3. I saw the DIY here but i guess its not very detailing so i would like someone to just show me pics of what i need to take off next. Any help would be AWSOME.

Thank you, TIM
timored is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Don't take off the bumper. You will, however, need to remove the mechanical fan from the water pump if you have an auto or the electric fan if you have a manual.

Probably too late for this job but you might want to invest in a Bentley manual for the next emergency.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
blucaller

My Ride: 323ci
Yeah, definitely no need to remove the bumper.
I just did my manual radiator a couple weeks ago.
So from what I know (remember)...

Make sure all your hoses are disconnected... including the one for the mounting plate for the expansion tank if the auto has one.

After that, pull off the plastic piece lining the entire bottom of the radiator.

Then, all you need to do is remove the screw and plug holding the topside of the radiator.

Then you should be able to pull it out. Good luck.
Oh and use OEM L&R/MODINE radiator. I had a problem with the mounting plate and the Behr radiator and didn't want to modify the plate.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
TxZHP04

Interesting, I used the Behr radiator with no problems.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 04-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
blucaller

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Interesting, I used the Behr radiator with no problems.
Did your mounting plate fit immediately the first time with the Behr?
I used my old mounting plate and couldn't get it to sit flush on the Behr. BMW parts told me that the part number hasn't changed, but I could never tell if the part itself was updated. The build date on my car is 07/99.

This hole in the Behr radiator was too shallow for "my" mounting plate.
Behr:

The OEM one is deeper. When I got the new OEM radiator, my old plate fit perfectly the first time.
Old oem:
Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
TxZHP04

It's been about a year but I don't recall any fitment problems whatsoever.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
tommersyip

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci
Hi - did you ever get this working? I had the exact same problem, the fitment on the mounting plate was a little off and the plug from the plate would not fit into the hole of the Behr. I am guessing the plate expanded or something, who knows. Luckily I was doing pre-emptive maintainence on the radiator along with the cooling system so I just popped the old one in. Sucks, since I now have a new Behr radiator, that looks fine, just sitting there.