E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Glissco27

My Ride: is a smoked Xi
Send a message via AIM to Glissco27
wheels or suspension upgrade

so ive been racking my brain for the last few weeks on what to blow some money on...currently have those 16" style 46's with the stock suspension on my Xi....what do you guys think in terms of purchasing first....should i go with a new sporty suspension and then purchase wheels or should i just buy wheels?

sidenote: consider the fact that i also want an mtechII bumper haha. whats the general consensus of the Xi community
Khoalty Black Matte Grill | Khoalty Smoked Turn Sig w/ LEDs | Khoalty Smoked Side Markers w/LEDs | Silver CF Vinyl Interior Trim | Khoalty LED Interior Kit | CF/White Roundels | Khoalty Smoked Tail Lights | Khoalty Angel Eyes | Aftermarket Pioneer sound system

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag

Last edited by Glissco27; 01-10-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Glissco27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
tb330

My Ride: 2006 Acura TL
I did suspension first and come spring I'll install the wheels and bumpers that I got. I would probably say that order just because the drop and wheels make the biggest difference IMO.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Glissco27

what kind of suspension did you go with? i was in between the fk silverline coilover only cuz its 900 bucks and the kw v1 coilover which was around 1200
Khoalty Black Matte Grill | Khoalty Smoked Turn Sig w/ LEDs | Khoalty Smoked Side Markers w/LEDs | Silver CF Vinyl Interior Trim | Khoalty LED Interior Kit | CF/White Roundels | Khoalty Smoked Tail Lights | Khoalty Angel Eyes | Aftermarket Pioneer sound system

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
tb330

My Ride: 2006 Acura TL
I just went with H&R Sport Springs on my stock shocks at the time. I'll be upgrading to coils this summer, but I haven't heard a bad thing about either one of those setups so I'm sure either one you go with will work great for you.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Glissco27

yea and if i decide not to do a coilover kit i was thinking maybe the h&r sports with eibach konis

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
theviking

My Ride: 330XI R1200C
First thing I did was finding a good deal on H&R's and once I installed them and got the 1" drop, the car handled like it should have with the "sport" package and factory rims... I would also look for a deal on a strutbrace, since I noticed how much it flexes when installing one... (BMW OEM is really nice...)

I didn't buy my XI to have a car to go offroad, and neither to have a car that would scrape every bump. I got my XI, because I like to drive it hard and still not worry about the few snowy days we get here. (If I wanted a track car, I would have gotten a Lotus.) So the 1" drop is perfect for me. Still good for everyday driving, just being a bit more careful with bumps etc.
I would keep my eyes open and look for a deal on wheels and get them after you have the suspension figured out.
theviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
Glissco27

viking thanks for the input...did that one inch drop give it that "slanted downward look" cuz thats what i want: that sportier/stiffer ride but not slammed to the ground.

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Old 01-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
cardsfan007

My Ride: 2002 330xi
ive been debating the same thing, i believe i have stock 17's and have debated getting 18's when i have to get new tires in a couple thousand miles. i know i also need new suspension in the near future and have thought about konis with h&r springs or eibachs. any thoughts???
(not trying to hijack your thread)
cardsfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #9
Captainbiceps

My Ride: e46 330xi
First coils you will have the benefits and satisfaction immediately, wait the springbreak for the wheels
Captainbiceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
Glissco27

if i do go with the kw v1 or and coil over kit for that matter wont i be putting to much stress on the cv joints/axles?....i JUST had the passenger side replaced

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
Captainbiceps

My Ride: e46 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glissco27 View Post
if i do go with the kw v1 or and coil over kit for that matter wont i be putting to much stress on the cv joints/axles?....i JUST had the passenger side replaced
I have the KW V1 inox on my 330xi with brand new axles and control arms.

I just lowered my car to eliminate the wheel gap typical of xi models but i can bring it down even more.
Captainbiceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
cincinnati

My Ride: bmw 325xi
Subscribed

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
cincinnati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Glissco27

so first things first, i guess we can all agree that my next mod should be the suspension (based on those 3 options) only thing left to figure out is which one to choose....so many good ones

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Old 01-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Tires are the biggest performance aspect of any car.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
cardsfan007

My Ride: 2002 330xi
In terms of tires, how would everyone rate the continental extreme contact dws? And would it be better to go with coilovers or a complete new system with springs (my suspension i dont think has ever been replaced and i have about 75k miles on the car)? And would it be advantageous to switch to 18s or not worth the extra money? Thanks
cardsfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #16
theviking

My Ride: 330XI R1200C
Quote:
viking thanks for the input...did that one inch drop give it that "slanted downward look" cuz thats what i want: that sportier/stiffer ride but not slammed to the ground.
I got a bit of the slanted look, but in my case I'm considering changing out the rear spring pads, to make it more level...

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow, on the street... the pictures I have were taken in my "slanted" driveway and it exaggerated the look...

I would not go with coilovers unless you have money to burn. Don't get me wrong, they are better than just getting lowering springs and shocks/struts.

But is it worth it on an "old" car like ours? Unless you plan to track her, I would personally rather spend that extra money on good tires; see Kubica's comment.
theviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
Glissco27

good point, yeah i really dont wanna burn too much money on the suspension, im thinking maybe i could get the struts/springs for around 850 and looking forward to the pics.

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #18
Glissco27

....would like a couple more opinions just to see which you guys did first

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #19
eschantra

My Ride: 2008 X5, 2001 Z06
Send a message via Yahoo to eschantra
I did wheels/tires first, brakes, wheels/tires again, H&R/Bilsteins, brakes again and ended up with this:

The wheels/tires made the biggest difference, espeially coming from the stock 205/55-16 Contis, so that's usually what I do first.

2008 X5 4.8i - H&R, Rotiform, Dunlop, Umnitza, BMW Performance
2001 Z06 - Pfadt, Hawk, CCW or OEM, Hoosier or Nitto
1996 328is - super cheap street and track project
2012 328i Sport (wifemobile) - it's here!

Contributing blogger at RacingReady.com......wannabe to real racer!
Read my latest Corvette Forum article here

Last edited by eschantra; 01-13-2011 at 09:56 AM.
eschantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #20
Ivanhoe

My Ride: BMW 330 xi 2005
Quote:
....would like a couple more opinions just to see which you guys did first
Glissco, can you put a picture of your car