E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #121
Washburn

My Ride: 2005 AW 330Ci ZHP
Thanks a lot for checking the mini compatibility...

OK somehow pushing the RND button does not random mix songs...
wonder if it has to do anything with the fact that i created my playlists using GTKpod, and not itunes, and that i manage the ipod with Ubuntu, (linux), for which Itunes doesn't have a version (only windows and mac)...

I need to play with my ipod more and see why it wouldn't play random tracks...
do the DIP settings affect this at all?

EDIT: must have been a glitch - RND works well.
the old ipod has been tired lately, and today the screen locked on me too...must have been a glitch with the RND setting...all works well now.

Last edited by Washburn; 11-21-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Washburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #122
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
RND works well.
Cool - I made sure that the RND worked ok when I tested the mini since you mentioned it in your previous post.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #123
Low Level

My Ride: '88 M3
I know a standard E46 does not REQUIRE the DSP option...

... but if I can get a deal on a DSP version of the PA-12, should I get it? Or will I have an issue with it?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #124
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Level View Post
I know a standard E46 does not REQUIRE the DSP option...

... but if I can get a deal on a DSP version of the PA-12, should I get it? Or will I have an issue with it?
you don't need it. my kit came with a DSP cable that I didn't use. I may be wrong but the DSP kits just come with the extra cable and my not be only exclusive to DSP cars.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #125
Low Level

My Ride: '88 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
you don't need it. my kit came with a DSP cable that I didn't use. I may be wrong but the DSP kits just come with the extra cable and my not be only exclusive to DSP cars.
Cool - so it's OK to buy a DSP kit for a non-DSP car, and just exclude the DSP cable?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #126
delmarco

I guess.

I don't know what the seller told you but if you are getting a great deal on it the you can't go wrong.

My kit "only" came with the DSP cable (shown below) and by not using it I had no issues. I'm assuming the cable is what makes it DSP and not some internal software or hardware inherent to the USA-Spec ECU that makes it DSP.

Last edited by delmarco; 12-05-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #127
rpl

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Where do you guys suggest purchasing the USA-Spec?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #128
delmarco

eBay and Amazon have the best prices.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #129
yousefmuharib

My Ride: 2006 325ci m-packge
hey delmarco
very useful diy, u have alot of those
i dont have a cd changer, and my car dosnt have the tabs saying its prewired
so all i need to add usa spec 12 is a data cable from bmw?? its 2006 btw
yousefmuharib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #130
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefmuharib View Post
hey delmarco
very useful diy, u have alot of those
i dont have a cd changer, and my car dosnt have the tabs saying its prewired
so all i need to add usa spec 12 is a data cable from bmw?? its 2006 btw
USA Spec does not have a solution for 2006 & newer models ...
Old 01-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #131
trale

My Ride: 325Ci
Options for leaving it in trunk but have Ipod in cabin?

I'm looking for installation options for the PA12. I'd like to avoid messing around with the glove box if at all possible. Is there any other place inside the cabin to stash the unit and still have it be out of the way? Ideally I'd like to keep it in the trunk.

However, I also must have access to my ipod inside the cabin, like where delmarco had it.

It seems this can easily be solved if the Ipod cable was simply longer. So then... is there a way to extend this cable? It seems the connector is similar to a PS2 connector (on older computer mouse/keyboards), but not exactly. Does anyone know if the connector is some industry standard so I can just get an extension cord for it?

If I can get that, then I can just leave the unit in the trunk, and simply route the Ipod cable to the cabin.
trale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #132
joe_323

My Ride: 323iT + MKII MR2
Wow - some things never change

I have had one of these things for many years now. I got a Dice, it didn't work, and got the USA-SPEC. Now 5 years or more go by and Dice still is a PITA and these things still work fine. I use the other input for XM radio.
joe_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #133
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by trale View Post
I'm looking for installation options for the PA12. I'd like to avoid messing around with the glove box if at all possible. Is there any other place inside the cabin to stash the unit and still have it be out of the way? Ideally I'd like to keep it in the trunk.

However, I also must have access to my ipod inside the cabin, like where delmarco had it.

It seems this can easily be solved if the Ipod cable was simply longer. So then... is there a way to extend this cable? It seems the connector is similar to a PS2 connector (on older computer mouse/keyboards), but not exactly. Does anyone know if the connector is some industry standard so I can just get an extension cord for it?

If I can get that, then I can just leave the unit in the trunk, and simply route the Ipod cable to the cabin.

I don't think so. All these cables are specific brand propriety cables. So you can't really get a general extension adapter.

Why are you scared of the glovebox? Did you own a previous model BMW?

I used to have a 1995 318i (E36) and those cars like all the older BMWs were a nightmare when it came to removing or working around the glovebox. The E46 is different. The glove box comes off easily with 6 basic easy to get to starpoint screws.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #134
dhart_70

My Ride: 2006 330ci
Send a message via MSN to dhart_70
You can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trale View Post

I did it when I installed the USA Spec in the trunk of my Taurus, I ordered a special cable from someone online, what I noticed though is because the cable is so long, I tend to get a lot of whine, where as the one on my BMW, mounted in the Glove box has no such issues. I will try to figure out where I ordered the cable.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #135
steve.325i

Hey, just to chime in, I agree with Olaf. I would not extend the iPod side of the interface if you can avoid it. That cable is simple 5v0 logic & will be the most supsceptable to interference.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #136
trale

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I don't think so. All these cables are specific brand propriety cables. So you can't really get a general extension adapter.

Why are you scared of the glovebox? Did you own a previous model BMW?

I used to have a 1995 318i (E36) and those cars like all the older BMWs were a nightmare when it came to removing or working around the glovebox. The E46 is different. The glove box comes off easily with 6 basic easy to get to starpoint screws.
Thanks for the responses guys, I will rethink the extension idea. I have a 2004 325Ci coupe, so that's not the issue. I'd just prefer to have a more "versatile" installation if possible - one that lets me easily uninstall the unit in the future. Seems like once I get it in the glove box, I'll never want to mess with it again.

Actually since I have a coupe, I might be able to take the advantage of the shorter car length. Can you confirm that the iPod cable is 4 ft? That ~might~ be long enough for the cable to reach from the trunk to say... somewhere near the bottom left side of the driver seat.

What do you think? Would there be a way for me to position the unit in a spot in the trunk that's as close as possible to the cabin, and route the iPod cable into the cabin (without having to drill holes or do any permanent damage)?
trale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #137
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
I have my USA Spec white box hidden underneath my passenger seat. The cables are run through the rear firewall, across from the drivers side to passengers side rear bench (underneath, of course), slid into the kickpanels. I just pulled the wire that connects to the white box underneath the passenger seat and fed the ipod cable from below the passenger seat rail to the center console. My ipod is now underneath my cupholders, although that required a bit of hacking off of the coin holder.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #138
steve.325i

My opinion - leave the complete setup in the trunk.
The only time I touch my iPod is when I pull it to update the playlists ... every couple of months or so.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #139
NerdCore

My Ride: 02 325i
I don't want to read this whole thing but can you use the pelican Bluetooth and connects2 and this at the same time? I have an iPhone and this would be a simple solution for charging, music, and bluetooth calling.

(OO=(||||) (||||)=OO)

Click4Facebook
NerdCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #140
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdCore View Post
I don't want to read this whole thing but can you use the pelican Bluetooth and connects2 and this at the same time? I have an iPhone and this would be a simple solution for charging, music, and bluetooth calling.

(OO=(||||) (||||)=OO)
I don't wuite understand your question. You can setup more than one handsfree device in your iPhone (ie the Pelican or the Parrot w/ connect2) and then have it connect to one or the other, but your phone will not connect to two handsfree devices at the same time.

Did I answer the question?

I like your asci art