E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
The Brightest White H7 Halogen Bulb?

Right now, my low beam doesn't match with my AE. I have Silverstar Ultra installed.
I also have a pair of Khoalty's halogen bulb, but they are not bright enough.

What is the brightest H7 halogen bulb to match my AE (6000k)?
Thanks
Apple4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
If you are looking for max light output, then go with a standard (non-colored) 55w halogen bulb. If you go with a hyperwhite bulb, you will sacrifice some light output in the name of color which sounds like what happened here.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
HEAVYLIFT

My Ride: 323 ci cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarkdragonx01 View Post
Right now, my low beam doesn't match with my AE. I have Silverstar Ultra installed.
I also have a pair of Khoalty's halogen bulb, but they are not bright enough.

What is the brightest H7 halogen bulb to match my AE (6000k)?
Thanks
brightest and whitest are two diferent things, to IMO, no bulb ever will match a 6000 k AE.
you got to go xenon, here´s a quick pic of my car,

before in my sig, I use the depo AE with some philips white bulbs, when I put the ccfl AE, as soon as I look at it all light up, I knew there was no way in hell a halogen bulb ever match them. them I went xenon.

Last edited by HEAVYLIFT; 12-26-2010 at 07:38 PM.
HEAVYLIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
JG4

My Ride: 2002 325i
I am using the Philips x-treme that replaced my stock halogens. More white than the stock yellow and quite a bit brighter (I would say +40% maybe more...). I bought them from here (free shipping).
JG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
projectors and hids 55w.

dont waste ur time with colored halogen. believe me....
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
CoconutPete

My Ride: E90 330i
Sorry to burst your bubble, but none of those "xenon look" or "xenon type" or "Xenon gas filled" or "Xenon wanna-B" bulbs actually put out a light that will match your AE's, no matter what the box says.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
Extra Credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3"
not "I'm looking for a M3".
-----------
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
mark_12345

My Ride: Yugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by omhl View Post
projectors and hids 55w.

dont waste ur time with colored halogen. believe me....
Do you have HID's for foglight? If so, what wattage and bulb are you using for the fogs? I bought the ProLumen HID fogkit from Umnitza about 4 years ago and it came with the 35w bulb. I'm looking to upgrade to 55w but not sure where and what to buy. Thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG4 View Post
I am using the Philips x-treme that replaced my stock halogens. More white than the stock yellow and quite a bit brighter (I would say +40% maybe more...). I bought them from here (free shipping).
do you know the color temperature for those bulbs?
rizwan1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:30 AM   #9
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
Halogen so-called temperature colors are achieved via coatings on the bulb. These coatings vary in thickness and longevity by the manufacture batches. The color temp rating of the halogen bulb is an approximate color temp rating (ie., the color the bulb was designed to most closely resemble). The shape of your headlight housing will also affect the color of the bulb as seen in the housing although the projected light can be very different.

Now there are some bulbs where the glass is colored in an attempt to adjust the color to resemble a specific temp rating. These bulbs operate at a significant reduced lumen level at comparable wattages. Which is why most places recommend getting the higher wattage halogen bulb when purchasing HID / XENON type look-a-like halogen bulbs.

If you want HID / XENON, just upgrade your head light assemblies. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC

Last edited by turbo_f22_pilot; 01-09-2011 at 03:31 AM.
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
TitaniumSedan

My Ride: is my portfolio
Aren't aftermarket HID's and xenons illegal? I'm about to purchase khoalty AE's and I'm worried about them matching my halogens as well.

TiAg, Grey/Black Interior, HK, ZSP/ZPP/ZCW, 5MT
Carbon Fiber Trim (DIY), M68 Wheels, LED AE's, Interior LED's
Smoked Depo's all around w/ stealth bulbs, Black Grill,
35% Tint, BMW Perf CF Strut Bar

My 3D Design Portfolio: briansteere.carbonmade.com

My YouTube channel - Cars and Guns
TitaniumSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
Agent Chev007

My Ride: 2000 323i
way cheaper and they work fantastically

i got these h7 bulbs from ebay and i was super skeptical but i tried them out anyway. i got 4 bulbs, two for low beams and two for brights for only 25 bucks shipped. they are hipro power h7 bulbs at 5900K. They are perfect for you trust me, its what i have on my car and i always get compliments and visibility is incredible.

hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1701
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	389369  
Agent Chev007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Chev007 View Post
i got these h7 bulbs from ebay and i was super skeptical but i tried them out anyway. i got 4 bulbs, two for low beams and two for brights for only 25 bucks shipped. they are hipro power h7 bulbs at 5900K. They are perfect for you trust me, its what i have on my car and i always get compliments and visibility is incredible.

hope this helps!
Thanks, are they 55w or 100w?
Apple4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #13
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
notice how he is from class of 2011.

basically dont trust what hes saying because he has no idea what hes doing.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #14
Agent Chev007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarkdragonx01 View Post
Thanks, are they 55w or 100w?
h7 12V 100watts

i thought they would be too high of wattage but ive had them for 6 months now and they have never given me troubles
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Quote:
h7 12V 100watts

i thought they would be too high of wattage but ive had them for 6 months now and they have never given me troubles
100w is a lot of current to pull through the stock wiring. I would isolate those with relays and dedicated power wiring or you will likely melt your factory wiring harness.

I bought a pair of xenon match highbeam bulbs from khoalty because they were only $8 and they are absolute garbage. The light output is probably half of what a factory clear bulb is.

Do a HID projector retrofit if you want the xenon look. It will be the safest way to go.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
Agent Chev007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousMind View Post
100w is a lot of current to pull through the stock wiring. I would isolate those with relays and dedicated power wiring or you will likely melt your factory wiring harness.

I bought a pair of xenon match highbeam bulbs from khoalty because they were only $8 and they are absolute garbage. The light output is probably half of what a factory clear bulb is.

Do a HID projector retrofit if you want the xenon look. It will be the safest way to go.
How hard is it to install those hid kits?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
how many watts?

Quote:

hope this helps!
How many watts are those bulbs? In the box i could see that those bulbs are clear, are those really clear or blue. i am not talking about the light output color, i am asking for how those bulbs look?
rizwan1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #18
exobrute

My Ride: 325i
So the verdict was? Which are the brightest and whitest halogens?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
http://store.candlepower.com/h7bulbs.html

Apparently the Osram Rallye 65w Ultra High Output H7 Special-Service Bulb is the brightest bulb, although certainly not the whitest. It's also within a fairly safe margin to use a +10W bulb on stock wiring harness.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote