E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Cool BMW OEM Integrated Sirius XM Radio on 16:9 Navigation BM53 Alpine CD Monitor Review

Reviewing the BMW Sirius XM OEM integrated kit on a 16:9 Navigation Monitor.

Rated by me 4 stars out of 5 stars

POSITIVES:
- quick signalling
- great sound quality with BM53
- works seemlessly with other I.C.E and navigation features
- lots of ways to search thru stations (steering wheel button, arrow buttons or selection knob)
- allows for CATERGORIES when it comes to organizing and selecting what you want to hear.
- easy to understand and use

NEGATIVES:- poor use of 16:9 screen real estate to display song information.
- the BMW E46 Sirius Receiver is rather expensive
- allows for ONLY 6 presets (the CD53 radio gives 18 presets)
- no scrolling and text display is limited to 16 per line

Below is the previous review I did on the basic version of BMW Sirius on the CD53 Alpine Business Radio.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=bmw+sirius

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
For those of you thinking of spending loads of money buying one of the remaining used OEM BMW E46/E39/E53/E85 Sirius Receiver Units of eBay and other online auction sites.

Watch the video:

PART 1:

PART 2:

Positives:

-Fully Integrated with CD53
-18 Presets available
-Sound Quality is Amazing
-Pretty fast in picking up channels and acquiring a signal-provided the antenna is mounted properly
-Reception is stellar even with a low budget aftermarket antenna
-Easy to set up in car
-Sirius does not count these older receivers as "factory installed" or "oem car radio" so the limitations and rules do not apply this receiver that prohibits subscription transfers between in car factory installed Sirius radios.
-Works with USA-Spec, DICE, and any other iPod Integration kits.
-Most units can work with both the CD53 and/or OEM Navigation so you have the flexibility of upgrading to nav and not losing Sirius
-Resale value at this time is out of this world. Expect to sell your used units for either what you paid for them or more when you are ready to sell them.
Negatives:
-Scroll features suck
-These Sirius units may not get XM Only packages and channels
-Scarcity and absence of production have drove up the prices of used units. I was ready to pay close to $500 for a receiver last fall and most 2nd/3rd gen receivers on eBay can bid all the way up to the $900s if the come with subscriptions.
-BMW either does not warranty or service these units at all or you have limited service/warranties on them if you buy a CPO with a receiver installed.
-Fahkra Antennas that this unit uses tend to be more expensive and rarer than the normal-connection Sirius antenna

Using the print out to channel surf :-(

Here is Sirius on the OEM BMW Navigation Screen as shown in SNA77's 2004 325xi:

This is how Sirius works on a Mercedes Benz 2010 with the Media Package Display Screen. I used this as something to compare my BMW Sirius to.

link to picture album:
ImageShack Album - 17 images

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 10-16-2010 at 04:25 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
link to new review:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=800262

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote