E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
bvz

My Ride: 2000 e46 Touring
2000 Touring. Some small questions re: headlights, floormats, rattles, etc...

I have a 2000 323i Touring. I want to get a couple of things/fix a couple of things before I hand this car over to my parents. Parents who are in their 70's mind you... so this isn't going to be a thread about performance mods

Headlights:
First, the original headlight lenses on this car are in terrible shape. I tried buffing them out and after several hours it is better, but still not great. To that end I think I need to get new lights. Searching on these forums, it seems that umnitza is one of the more respected names in lights (there were some others as well and I am open to options). My questions are as follows:

1) Are sedan lights compatible with the touring?

2) How cheap can I go The boy in me really really wants Xenons and Angel Eyes but the bill paying adult is doing his best to smack that boy down. Do AE look stupid with halogens? Are there any more or less "stock" replacements that are cheaper? (obviously without the AE) If I do go nuts and decide to get Xenons, are they a plug in replacement for the current lamps or do I have to worry about error codes and the like? I have, like, 30 seconds of spare time per week and can't really be doing anything that takes more than a screwdriver to implement. - Basically I am cheap, but not cheap enough to try my luck with no-name lights from eBay. So what is the next best option?

Floormats:
Same basic idea here. The floormats that came with the car are the original BMW mats, but they slide all over the place and I hate the color (I want black ones). I'd like to get some cheap but decent mats that are specifically designed for this car and have some means by which they are fastened down. Any suggestions where to go, or can I just get some off of Amazon? I assume the touring uses the same mats as a sedan, correct?

Rear mat for cargo area:
The previous owner had no respect for the carpets in this car. They are a mess, including the rear cargo area. I was thinking of getting a big custom mat for that area. Any ones that people like?

Rattles and squeaks:
It's an old car so it will rattle. I know that. Still, I think *some* of the noise is coming from the windows against the window seals (they are sticking slightly) and from the doors against the door seals (same thing). If I open and close all of the doors and all of the windows I seem to break the "seal" which has bonded everything together a tiny bit. Then the car feels a bit tighter. Is there any product that will sort of "re-lube" the rubber a bit so that the doors and windows don't stick themselves to the rubber over a period of a day or two?

I know that was a lot of questions, and I thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read through this!
bvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
1. No

2. www.ddmtuning.com

3. Go OEM...www.getbmwparts.com

4. Get it shampooed.

5. Use some Gummi Pflege on the seals...or just replace them ($$$)
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
beef1020

My Ride: 00 323i
For headlights, you can buy just the plastic lenses for a cheaper option: http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/light...placement-(oem)

Floor mats: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Rear cargo liner they make a nice rubber peice for it: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
beef1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
jerseyfresh

My Ride: is schwartzed out
Headlight lenses;
Use Bavarian Autosport for finding most of the stuff I'm about to suggest...
On there, you'll find new headlight lenses are $40-a-piece and $22-each for the gaskets...

1) Are sedan lights compatible with the touring? That's a Negative Ghostrider...

2) How cheap can I go Dirty cheap on eBay, but that's mostly garbage, so you get what you pay for...
The boy in me really really wants Xenons and Angel Eyes but the bill paying adult is doing his best to smack that boy down. Xenon's are a plus, cheap AE's are boy racer ghey in most circumstances
Do AE look stupid with halogens? Yes
Are there any more or less "stock" replacements that are cheaper?(obviously without the AE) P46's
If I do go nuts and decide to get Xenons, are they a plug in replacement for the current lamps or do I have to worry about error codes and the like?Bimmian has plug-n-play kits for $179 >>> but definitely don't even consider them in a non-projector headlight assembly, because it'll just scatter light everywhere... plus, we'll all hate you for blinding us.
I have, like, 30 seconds of spare time per week and can't really be doing anything that takes more than a screwdriver to implement. - Basically I am cheap, but not cheap enough to try my luck with no-name lights from eBay. So what is the next best option? P46's are going to run about $500 with halo's... that's the cheapest non-OEM option... as it won't require a new LCM or reflash

Floormats:
Bavarian has new mat sets for between $60-150 >>> lots of choices... too many to list.
I assume the touring uses the same mats as a sedan, correct? yup

Rear mat for cargo area:
I'd get one of the weather tech ones so you don't have to worry about sh*t permanently destroying the back carpet

Rattles and squeaks with windows:
If the seals are totally dried out and cracked, just replace them... they're pretty cheap...
If they aren't that torn up, just use some diluted Simply Green to clean any residual gunk that's built up on them, then use some rubber/vinyl conditioner from Meguire's... It's like $15 a bottle.
^^^Directed @Kpeng^^^

Last edited by jerseyfresh; 01-22-2011 at 07:23 AM.
jerseyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
How are they not compatible? Aren't they both prefacelifted?

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
For the headlights... yes, they are compatible.

The OE parts are identical on realoem.com

...and for future reference, the touring and sedan are essentially the same car up until the B pillar anything past that and the parts are different.

Also, the Khoalty link seems broken; but I bought some new covers for mine from Pelicanparts for $33.50 each.

Parts 63-12-8-380-189 & 63-12-8-380-190 are what you'd need.

As for the mats, I've been looking at some of the ones that beef1020 linked to myself.

Last edited by rbalazsi; 01-22-2011 at 12:21 PM.
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
bvz

Thanks for all the info!

I just saw this DIY for replacing lenses:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...highlight=lens

is it really that simple? If so, that's the way I'm gonna go.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
yup replacing lenses is a 20 minute job.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
1. No

2. www.ddmtuning.com

3. Go OEM...www.getbmwparts.com

4. Get it shampooed.

5. Use some Gummi Pflege on the seals...or just replace them ($$$)

Yes, Kpeng wins again!

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
bvz

Brilliant!

And thanks for all the links on the floormats and the Gummi Phlege. I'm gonna order all of this tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
I bought the originals from BavAuto. Mine came with the new hook and loop pads that insert into the carpet. The cargo area mat is also available from BavAuto. My 2000 Touring is rattle free. I don't think I've ever heard a noise from the car.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
Replacing the lenses are one of the first things I did for my wagon when I bought it - the difference is remarkable and worth the $$$. Thought about trying to polish them, but the old ones were pretty haggled and I'm lazy.

Although my cargo area carpet is in good shape, I'm planning on buying a WeatherTech mat to keep it that way when I'm toting fertilizer or such. BMW makes an OEM mat, but I've been pleased with the fitment and durability of WeatherTech mats in other vehicles.
Jaundiced Outlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvz View Post
1) Are sedan lights compatible with the touring?
Yes, they are compatible, since you are in Oakland, and we're in Concord, please drive on over so we can show you the various options, we even have just covers for you.

2) How cheap can I go The boy in me really really wants Xenons and Angel Eyes but the bill paying adult is doing his best to smack that boy down. Do AE look stupid with halogens? Are there any more or less "stock" replacements that are cheaper? (obviously without the AE) If I do go nuts and decide to get Xenons, are they a plug in replacement for the current lamps or do I have to worry about error codes and the like? I have, like, 30 seconds of spare time per week and can't really be doing anything that takes more than a screwdriver to implement. - Basically I am cheap, but not cheap enough to try my luck with no-name lights from eBay. So what is the next best option?

See response to #1 about driving over Because you are giving it to folks that are a little older, you really should consider the xenons as an option, better light output especially as your eyes age and become a little less capable, is a great way to increase their safety for minimal $.

Floormats:
Same basic idea here. The floormats that came with the car are the original BMW mats, but they slide all over the place and I hate the color (I want black ones). I'd like to get some cheap but decent mats that are specifically designed for this car and have some means by which they are fastened down. Any suggestions where to go, or can I just get some off of Amazon? I assume the touring uses the same mats as a sedan, correct?
Get all weather mats if you can help it.

Rear mat for cargo area:
The previous owner had no respect for the carpets in this car. They are a mess, including the rear cargo area. I was thinking of getting a big custom mat for that area. Any ones that people like?

My wife purchased the OE one from BMW, it works well and is designed to fit exactly, it may be more costly, so look at Tischer to get a good deal on one.

Rattles and squeaks:
It's an old car so it will rattle. I know that. Still, I think *some* of the noise is coming from the windows against the window seals (they are sticking slightly) and from the doors against the door seals (same thing). If I open and close all of the doors and all of the windows I seem to break the "seal" which has bonded everything together a tiny bit. Then the car feels a bit tighter. Is there any product that will sort of "re-lube" the rubber a bit so that the doors and windows don't stick themselves to the rubber over a period of a day or two?
Already covered by others, it's a good choice.

I know that was a lot of questions, and I thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read through this!
Quote:
Thanks for all the info!

I just saw this DIY for replacing lenses:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...highlight=lens

is it really that simple? If so, that's the way I'm gonna go.
It's a 5 minute job if you have done it before, and 20 minutes if you haven't.

Quote:
Brilliant!

And thanks for all the links on the floormats and the Gummi Phlege. I'm gonna order all of this tonight or tomorrow.
Give us a call on Monday or if you have time, drop on in 10am-5pm.
Address is easily found on google maps by typing umnitza in the search.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
bvz

Hey there umnitza,

I'll be giving you a call this week. I like the idea that you are local plus you seem to get pretty decent press here. I would love to swing by if I can but that will depend on my work schedule.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Tags
floormats, headlights, rattles, touring