E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
Forester
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 184
My Ride: vintage JDM
Bi-xenon Headlight Level Adjuster Question

I was told by my mechanic that my headlight leveling sensor was broken for some time and it had became rusty when he was installing my suspension today. I was browsing through realoem.com but then I couldn't find the corresponding part. Just wondering if anyone here knows where the part is on the site, and how much would it approximately cost?

I realized my headlights are pointed towards the ground instead of pointing forward, I guess it's because of the damaged leveling sensor. Is there any way that I can adjust them before having the adjuster replaced in the panel? I drive a 2003 325i with bi-xenon headlights.

Thanks for helping!
__________________
Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:15 AM   #2
m3m3me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mild Mediteranean Breezes
Posts: 270
My Ride: 2002 M3
hmmmm. I've modified my E46 to have quad xenons and am very familiar withh the internal workings of our headlamps. I know of nothing that can rust. There is a plastic threaded rod which captures a plastic threaded bolt, but nothing subject to oxidation. The thumb knobs you use to adjust pitch and yaw have a pinion gear which drive the threaded bolt gear. They can be past their functional range and have come out of a captive sleeve. That is repairable, but you must be brave first to remove headlamps from te car and begin dissecting them. Just look before you leap. This description sounds confusing to me and I know what it looks like. Sorry. I have a couple extra motor drives. I don't know if they're sold separate or not.
__________________
m3m3me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:09 AM   #3
Painterdude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ca
Posts: 1,109
My Ride: 330Ci
The mechanic sounds like he is talking about the arm that is mounted to the lower control arm.

I've never seen one that is rusty, but I have seen them broken when someone works on the suspension and doesn't remove it first.

Did you notice your lights pointed downward the last time you drove it at night before the mechanic worked on it.

My guess and it's just a guess is that the mechanic broke the arm when he was working on the suspension.
Painterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
Forester
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 184
My Ride: vintage JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterdude View Post
The mechanic sounds like he is talking about the arm that is mounted to the lower control arm.

I've never seen one that is rusty, but I have seen them broken when someone works on the suspension and doesn't remove it first.

Did you notice your lights pointed downward the last time you drove it at night before the mechanic worked on it.

My guess and it's just a guess is that the mechanic broke the arm when he was working on the suspension.
Thanks for the reply.
So what does the arm look like? Is it shown in the parts diagram? And do I need to replace the arm itself or the entire system?
__________________
Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:38 AM   #5
eneka
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,799
My Ride: 2003 325i
when you start your car does the headlights tilt up and down?
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
Forester
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 184
My Ride: vintage JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
when you start your car does the headlights tilt up and down?
Yes it does
__________________
Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
Nolimit124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bristol, RI
Posts: 18
My Ride: 330 XI
i have the same problem with my car its defiantly the sensor. However i dont even know what to do about the problem any help for us????????????????????????????????
Nolimit124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
e.barr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Glasgow Scotland UK
Posts: 221
My Ride: 320ci
Hi, the part you are looking for is called an "angle joint.
Its part number in the UK is 37 14 6 766 778 and costs 7.38GBP before tax.

Its made up of two plastic/metal ball joints that are connected by a small metal rod that is bent so that it will bolt to the sensor and the lower control arm.
The joint is secured by two selflocking nuts making this an easy diy once the front wheel has been removed.
e.barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
sillieidiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the OC
Posts: 44,093
My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZ325 View Post
I was told by my mechanic that my headlight leveling sensor was broken for some time and it had became rusty when he was installing my suspension today. I was browsing through realoem.com but then I couldn't find the corresponding part. Just wondering if anyone here knows where the part is on the site, and how much would it approximately cost?

I realized my headlights are pointed towards the ground instead of pointing forward, I guess it's because of the damaged leveling sensor. Is there any way that I can adjust them before having the adjuster replaced in the panel? I drive a 2003 325i with bi-xenon headlights.

Thanks for helping!
your mechanic is lying. he broke it while he was installing your suspension. the arm to that is plastic, so how car it rust? if you want to know what we're talking about. jack up your car and take off the front wheel. you should see it near the sway bar end link.

here's a picture of it, it's far so you can't see the details, but that's just where it's located:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/pic...g&directory=12
__________________
I like to reply to threads with 0 posts




Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
phamine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,226
My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.barr View Post
Hi, the part you are looking for is called an "angle joint.
Its part number in the UK is 37 14 6 766 778 and costs 7.38GBP before tax.

Its made up of two plastic/metal ball joints that are connected by a small metal rod that is bent so that it will bolt to the sensor and the lower control arm.
The joint is secured by two selflocking nuts making this an easy diy once the front wheel has been removed.
This part is not the part that breaks. It's the plastic part that breaks #4. You have to replace the entire sensor. That's a ~60 USD

phamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
alwaysbored786
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 5,785
My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
damn i think i broke mine too, is there a way i can replace it? do zhp control arms have a place for this thing?
__________________

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #12
daonlydann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: garden grove
Posts: 159
My Ride: 05 330i
I broke the front angle joint, #5 in the diagram. I forgot to remove it while replacing my struts and it came off in 2 pieces. I put them back together (shoved the black bushing back into the metal tube, but it didnt fit perfectly) My headlights point downward too much. If I replace the #5, you think it would solve the problem? It doesnt seem like it's a sensor or does anything.
daonlydann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #13
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Top
Posts: 5,918
My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
damn i think i broke mine too, is there a way i can replace it? do zhp control arms have a place for this thing?
Yep, they all have the hole to mount the sensor
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
Orangeathlete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 8
My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Most responses touch on broken parts of xenon adjustments. Since your headlights tilt up and down when you turned the car on, did you try turning the small black hand-adjust located near the back and top of the headlight?

My 2004 E46 xenon bulbs looked fine but over 6-years tilted downwards. So I left the headlights on, focussed at my garage wall, and opened the hood. I then turned the hand adjust until each one raised a little and were at the same level. Later that evening I stopped my car in a relatively dark parking lot and did the adjustment again to tweak the projection distance.

Easy fix in my case. Hope it works for you.
Orangeathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use