E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
Yellowmann
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?

My Ride: AA SC Y2K 323i
Send a message via AIM to Yellowmann
Question Aftermarket head unit with OEM speakers

Does all E46 have separate amps for our speakers even if we dont have HK system? If I was to hook up aftermarket unit and use my OEM speaker for the time being will the aftermaket unit amp mess up with the OEM amp? Im guessing it will amplify the OEM and that is not good. Is my speaker system a common ground system? I dont want to over heat anything...Has anyone done this?

Later this wont matter since the new speakers will run directly from the aftermarket unit.

TIA,
Charlie

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Yellowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
egyptnads
Banned

My Ride: 2000 silver 323i
Send a message via AIM to egyptnads
i believe non hk systems arent pre amplified. you wont have any trouble hooking up an aftermarket headunit
egyptnads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 05:29 PM   #3
Yellowmann

Quote:
Originally posted by egyptnads
i believe non hk systems arent pre amplified. you wont have any trouble hooking up an aftermarket headunit
It must be cus I had to hook up the remote wire to the OEM harness in order to hear my OEM speakers. I just dont want it to amplify an amplify, might cause over heating...

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Old 01-01-2004, 07:05 PM   #4
PM "Corrupted"
Clem's Padawan

My Ride: 2004 X3
Non HK = 1 amp
HK = 2 amps (except tourings)

AFAIK no head unit power drives speakers, amp for all systems.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #5
Yellowmann

Quote:
Originally posted by PM "Corrupted"
Non HK = 1 amp
HK = 2 amps (except tourings)

AFAIK no head unit power drives speakers, amp for all systems.
Thanks for that info but wont it still be amplified twice... since the aftermarket unit is amplified. The only way that I got the OEM speaker to work was to hook the remote from the aftermarket unit to the OEM harness. I just want to make sure I wont damage something till I get new speakers.

Old 01-01-2004, 09:11 PM   #6
PM "Corrupted"
Clem's Padawan

My Ride: 2004 X3
Quote:
Originally posted by Yellowmann

Thanks for that info but wont it still be amplified twice... since the aftermarket unit is amplified. The only way that I got the OEM speaker to work was to hook the remote from the aftermarket unit to the OEM harness. I just want to make sure I wont damage something till I get new speakers.
Try a VEN 4.5 from Peripheral , it allows you to run factory speakers from new head unit. From their site....
Quote:
Use any aftermarket radio with speaker level outputs and the VEN4.5 does the rest. Add the appropriate wire harness from "Best HarnessesTM” to simplify the installation
Old 01-03-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
FlyingDutchMan

My Ride: Built 02 M3
You can run the high output speaker outputs from the aftermarket headunit into the stock amps, the stock amps are high input and it works fine. The system will sound much better, I just added a Pioneer Premier to the stock HK system and it was well worth it.
FlyingDutchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:00 PM   #8
Yellowmann

I got it working but just wanted to know if the OEM harness goes to the amp to power the OEM speaker or does it just turn on and bypass the OEM amp. If I take the remote wire off the OEM harness nothing works. I just dont want to over heat the OEM amp with my aftermarket unit. This is only a temp setup for now.

Thanks all for you input.
Charlie