E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Bake

My Ride: AW F10 535 M-Sport
ZHP Sedan still feels loose

I picked up a ZHP sedan last year with 74k miles and immediately noticed the suspension felt unstable. I changed the FCAB with heavy duty units purchased from Bavarian Autosport and swapped the RTAB with OEM units. These two changes made a huge difference in the handling, but I still feel like the car is not as solid as it should be. I had a 325ci with sports package prior to this ZHP sedan and I know it felt tighter than this does. My question is what other suspension tidbits are likley worn and are the culprits for this feeling? I want to inspect them and make knowledgeable replacements. This is my daily driver and I drive the terrible roads in NYC with my two young children in the car on a daily basis, so I am not really interested in going with any urethane bushings or lowered suspension. I just like my car to feel tight on the highway.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
ChiMaster

My Ride: 01 330ci, 14 Explore
unstable is subjective - What exactly are the symptoms?
ChiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
FamilyTruckster

My Ride: 05 ZHP
My ZHP felt like the front end was loose, especially when I went over railroad tracks or such. I figured it was the FCAB's as I experienced a similar issue with my E36 at about the same mileage (100k). My mechanic said it was the front sway bar links, I was skeptical but had them replaced. Sure enough, that fixed the problem. Might want to check into replacing those, they are cheap.
FamilyTruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
At 74k and considering that you've replaced CABs and RTABs, I would seriously start to suspect the dampers. Mine were blown before 70k.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
At 74k and considering that you've replaced CABs and RTABs, I would seriously start to suspect the dampers. Mine were blown before 70k.
Are there specific symptoms that would confirm I need dampers? I don't disagree that at my mileage (82K now) I should replace them, but would hate to replace them and still have this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTruckster View Post
My ZHP felt like the front end was loose, especially when I went over railroad tracks or such. I figured it was the FCAB's as I experienced a similar issue with my E36 at about the same mileage (100k). My mechanic said it was the front sway bar links, I was skeptical but had them replaced. Sure enough, that fixed the problem. Might want to check into replacing those, they are cheap.
Thanks. I assume, I could get my car on a lift and do a visual inspection of these and see if they are worn. I think I will bring my car in to our local E46fanatic sponsored shop and have them take a look for me so I can finally get to the bottom of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMaster View Post
unstable is subjective - What exactly are the symptoms?
During lane changes car still seems a bit squirrely. Before replacing the RTAB's I could barely keep the car in a lane.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
pgj

My Ride: 2004 325i, 2007 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
I picked up a ZHP sedan last year with 74k miles and immediately noticed the suspension felt unstable. I changed the FCAB with heavy duty units purchased from Bavarian Autosport and swapped the RTAB with OEM units. These two changes made a huge difference in the handling, but I still feel like the car is not as solid as it should be. I had a 325ci with sports package prior to this ZHP sedan and I know it felt tighter than this does. My question is what other suspension tidbits are likley worn and are the culprits for this feeling? I want to inspect them and make knowledgeable replacements. This is my daily driver and I drive the terrible roads in NYC with my two young children in the car on a daily basis, so I am not really interested in going with any urethane bushings or lowered suspension. I just like my car to feel tight on the highway.
Is this maybe a steering issue?

I just stumbled over this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470103
pgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
pgj

nice car, BTW.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgj View Post
Is this maybe a steering issue?

I just stumbled over this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470103
Interesting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgj View Post
nice car, BTW.
Thanks bud.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
jeremykrak

My Ride: n/a
Send a message via AIM to jeremykrak
You might wanna add a strut bar to the mix... I drove my ZHP with and without a strut bar and it's night and day in terms of how stiff it feels... like crazy! will never drive without a strut bar (the ACS that came with mine is SIIICK)
jeremykrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
pgj

I'd really like to hear how this turns out?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
wrecklessfool

My Ride: is paid off
You might check your tie rods for play in the ball joints. I am having the same feeling you are about how it should feel more "solid." I have replaced the front control arms, FCABs, Turner rear control arms, Rogue RTABs, new rear diff bushing, M3 motor mounts, Rogue transmission mounts, new tie rods (inner and outer), new wheels and tires, and a proper alignment with hand gauges the old school way. I am waiting on my sway bars to arrive so I can put on the new adjustable front endlinks. I'm hoping the guy above was right and maybe this will solve our issues.

No doubt that the car feels exponentially better than it did before all the work, but I feel like it's still not quite where it could be.