E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #101
jbost002

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Cancel that...I just ran the wire to the back. It was easier.
jbost002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #102
95seriesbmw

My Ride: BMW X5, BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbost002 View Post
Cancel that...I just ran the wire to the back. It was easier.
I tried to say that a few posts back. I mean you're gona be running the video RCA back anyway so theres no more effort envolved to go ahead and run a extra wire back with it and save the time messing with the glove box.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #103
jbost002

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Yeah, the problem was that I had already ran the video wires and unhooked the glovebox and really, really, REALLY didn't want to do it all over again. But in the end it only took about an extra 20 minutes, which I had spent at least that trying to figure out the "black box" thing.

And I don't have a garage so I was doing it all outside, in the cold. Man it was windy last night!
jbost002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #104
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95seriesbmw View Post
I tried to say that a few posts back. I mean you're gona be running the video RCA back anyway so theres no more effort envolved to go ahead and run a extra wire back with it and save the time messing with the glove box.
Anything that keeps me from having to mess with the glove box is a huge plus.

2007 750Li (Sold)
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
2012 X3
2012 750Li
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #105
nedined

My Ride: 04 330Xi & 06 ML350
Send a message via MSN to nedined Send a message via Yahoo to nedined Send a message via Skype™ to nedined
I have an OEM navigation and was wondering where should I plug the RCA connector from the camera into? I do not see any available input on the back of the dash Nav unit and how can I tell if it is with TV function or without TV function?

Last edited by nedined; 01-24-2011 at 11:50 AM.
nedined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #106
inta

My Ride: 325xi
I need some help here.

I passed the RCA cable for the reverse camera to the trunk, and got someone to power the reverse camera for me. Having got it up and running (hooked up to my Dynavin v5), I noticed that the camera has horizontal 'lines' that go down the screen, but I only noticed this happening at night. This evening, I tried turning the headlights off and putting the car in reverse, and no lines. I turned the headlights back on and looked at the back of the car and noticed that the little LICENSE PLATE LED that comes on the camera housing flickers like mad. I'm trying to figure out why this would happen. The license plate LED was hooked up using the 4 wires that the old (OEM) license plate lights got power from, and the wires were soldered together (i.e. the reds with each other, and the grounds with each other), and then both 'sets' to the black and red on the license plate LED light respectively. Any idea what could be going wrong? Has anyone had this happen to them before? I bought the camera off Ebay (auction 260668395227) -- which BTW I wouldn't recommend alone because of the DEPTH and how much modification was required to get it to FIT!
inta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #107
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
i just read up on the flickering problem on another thread in the "lighting" forum. Go check that out.

I just received that same squarish looking replacement camera from hong kong and i was wondering what you folks are using for the other license plate bulb? Anyone have good suggestions? I'm going to head down to radioshack and fry's to try to find one with similar brightness.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #108
fadeaway

FYI, for anyone wanting to do a backup camera...

If you have a facelift coupe, DO NOT get that lame camera from china that replaces the license plate light bulb housing. At least not the square shaped one that needs "a bit of modification" as other people have stated here.

There are two wires coming off of this thing as someone stated. One splits into video and power, the other is for the LED license plate light. The "modification" was pretty straight forward with a dremel. You pretty much cut off half of the housing and shave to fit. The problem comes when you are trying to run the wires. None of the RCA cables fit through the opening for factory wires. I did not want to modify the housing just to fit RCAs, so I cut the wires. Starting from the camera, there is one wire that runs to a rubber thing from which a power connector and the video connector come from. I cut the power connector and the RCA and tried to fit the rubber thing through the factory hole. Still doesn't fit and there is no room inside the trunk lid lip to keep the rubber thing. So I cut before the rubber thing... now there are only three wires where there once was four. Turns out there is circuitry inside the rubber thing that does some type of simple conversion. I thought the camera circuitry looked kinda crappy. In the trash...

So, if you don't want to modify the stock holes DO NOT buy this stupid chinese camera that says it fits M3 and E46 coupes. At least, don't buy it if you have a facelift coupe. I am not sure if this works on pre-facelift since the lid lip has slightly different dimensions. Now I'm gonna go pick up a different camera to just double-sided tape next to my license plate lights. And I was so looking forward to having something that looked stock. Sigh...

Edit: On second thought, if you are willing to rewire this thing, have at it. The only reason I found out there is circuitry in the rubber piece is because I cut into it to find out what is in it. Thus, destroying it. It can definitely serve it's purpose, but I think it is more hassle than necessary.

Last edited by fadeaway; 02-14-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #109
DutchPlayer

My Ride: Bmw e46 328i
Stupid question, but how does the keyhole camera stays in place? Still doubt about to get a keyhole camera or the that's located at the license plate...
DutchPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #110
MitchSF

My Ride: 11 M3 DCT
Send a message via Skype™ to MitchSF
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
FYI, for anyone wanting to do a backup camera...

If you have a facelift coupe, DO NOT get that lame camera from china that replaces the license plate light bulb housing. At least not the square shaped one that needs "a bit of modification" as other people have stated here.

There are two wires coming off of this thing as someone stated. One splits into video and power, the other is for the LED license plate light. The "modification" was pretty straight forward with a dremel. You pretty much cut off half of the housing and shave to fit. The problem comes when you are trying to run the wires. None of the RCA cables fit through the opening for factory wires. I did not want to modify the housing just to fit RCAs, so I cut the wires. Starting from the camera, there is one wire that runs to a rubber thing from which a power connector and the video connector come from. I cut the power connector and the RCA and tried to fit the rubber thing through the factory hole. Still doesn't fit and there is no room inside the trunk lid lip to keep the rubber thing. So I cut before the rubber thing... now there are only three wires where there once was four. Turns out there is circuitry inside the rubber thing that does some type of simple conversion. I thought the camera circuitry looked kinda crappy. In the trash...

So, if you don't want to modify the stock holes DO NOT buy this stupid chinese camera that says it fits M3 and E46 coupes. At least, don't buy it if you have a facelift coupe. I am not sure if this works on pre-facelift since the lid lip has slightly different dimensions. Now I'm gonna go pick up a different camera to just double-sided tape next to my license plate lights. And I was so looking forward to having something that looked stock. Sigh...

Edit: On second thought, if you are willing to rewire this thing, have at it. The only reason I found out there is circuitry in the rubber piece is because I cut into it to find out what is in it. Thus, destroying it. It can definitely serve it's purpose, but I think it is more hassle than necessary.
I'm not sure I understand. I bought both the square camera version from HK that has to be cut down, and the round version from Australia, that fits without cutting. I did cut the RCA connector off both so that I could run the wire out of the trunk along with the factory wiring, but I had no trouble running all of the wires from the license plate light area into the trunk.

Not to get sidetracked, but I did try out both cameras. I decided to keep the round camera version. It has a better license plate light, the wiring is of better quality, and it appears that the camera is more sensitive. The picture is slightly more washed out during the day, but it's better at night. Both display distance marks.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #111
fadeaway

This is the camera I am talking about.

There is one wire coming off of the camera which goes to that black rubber thing. From the rubber thing, the power and video lines split off. When I took my trunk lid lip apart, the factory hole does not fit either of the RCA connectors or the black rubber thing. So I chopped before the black rubber thing exposing only three wires instead of a total of four coming from the two RCA connectors. My curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to make sure the black rubber thing had just a splitter with common ground, but it turns out that there is circuitry in there. I cut through the circuitry on accident thinking that no self-respecting idiot of a company would put in-line components in something like this.

My conclusion is that if you want to do this mod using one of these chinese cameras, cut between the camera and that black rubber thing and extend the three wires which are like 36AWG. Fit a connector between to make the entire process easily reversible (if you care), and close it all up. Oh, and get a LED license plate light that matches the nit rating of this tiny light.

Does the round, Aussie version have a connector for this part? Are the distance marks in meters or feet? I would love to have meters...

Last edited by fadeaway; 02-14-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #112
MitchSF

I had no trouble running the connectors and that plastic part into the trunk lid area between the liner and the trunk lid. Is that the problem you're having? Did you remove the plastic piece the license plate lights mount to?

I'm not sure if it's meters or feet. I haven't measured yet.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #113
fadeaway

I couldn't fit the rubber thing in the trunk lid lip. Anyways, I'm going to try once more probably once I get bored and decide to order another camera.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #114
MitchSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
I couldn't fit the rubber thing in the trunk lid lip. Anyways, I'm going to try once more probably once I get bored and decide to order another camera.
You have to remove the trunk lid liner and the part that holds the license plate lights (4 torx screws). There is a lot of room to run the wires, connectors, and plastic piece through that hole, so I'm not sure why you're having trouble.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #115
fadeaway

I did do all of that. I broke all of the plastic tabs holding in the assembly when taking apart the lid lip. That pissed me off too. Then I realized that it still stays together without those plastic tabs. Overengineered piece of

There is not enough room to fit a connector in there without modifying things. At least not on mine. There is the plastic outer shell, inner casing, and a big piece of plastic that holds all the wiring in place.

Do you have the same car? I specifically said "if you have a facelift coupe" since the pre-facelift look to have a different shape and length lip. Also, it is definitely a different shape for sedans.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #116
MitchSF

I have an 02 coupe, pre-facelift. I don't believe that there is any difference in the trunk between facelift and pre-facelift cars. I have no idea at this point. Can you post a picture of the area where you are running the wires into the trunk lid?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #117
johnt1436

My Ride: M3
Does anyone on here have a convertible and has successfully installed a license plate light reverse camera?

I have read all the posts on here about removing the trunk handle (4 torx screws) and pulling it off, but I can't get mine off. Besides the four screws, it seems to be attached behind the Roundel (which on a 'vert is integrated into the handle). I can't get the darned thing off even with all four screws completely out.

Are there any convertible owners out there with some tips?

Thanks in advance!
John

2001 M3 Convertible, Carbon Black - Daily Driver
2007 328i Convertible, Atlantic Blue - Wife's car
2003 X5 4.4i - Grocery-getter
johnt1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #118
fadeaway

Talking about.

Pictures of.

Those two threads talk about and show the difference, respectively. There is a difference. I don't know about the interior dimensions of the two, but I definitely could not fit stuff in there. The plastic piece holding all of the wiring in place took up too much room.

I would take a picture, but I don't feel like taking apart my trunk lid lining and breaking more of those plastic parts holding in the lining just to take a picture.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #119
fadeaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt1436 View Post
Does anyone on here have a convertible and has successfully installed a license plate light reverse camera?

I have read all the posts on here about removing the trunk handle (4 torx screws) and pulling it off, but I can't get mine off. Besides the four screws, it seems to be attached behind the Roundel (which on a 'vert is integrated into the handle). I can't get the darned thing off even with all four screws completely out.

Are there any convertible owners out there with some tips?

Thanks in advance!
John

You have to take apart the trunk lid lining. The switch to open the trunk as well as the wiring for the lights goes through the middle.

1) Open the trunk
2) Remove the glow in the dark emergency handle.
3) Remove all of the round plastic pieces along the lining being careful not to break them. Use a trim removal tool.
4) There are two camouflaged screws holding in the tool tray. Unscrew those and the entire lining falls out.
5) Find the wires coming out from directly behind the trunk lid grip. Disconnect this connector.
6) After taking out the four torx screws, there are two plastic pieces on the ends of the grip that just pop out with a bit of force.
7) Everything comes out.

Once the grip is off, be VERY careful how you disassemble this lip. The entire assembly is plastic and is fit together strangely. Here's a link to ECS showing the three parts taken apart. I broke every plastic tab in here, but thankfully the assembly still holds without the tabs. You'll see when you break them or even when you are putting the grip assembly back together.

LINK

There are two screws holding the cover for the wiring.

That's it and good luck!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #120
MitchSF

I didn't know the trim pieces were different on facelift coupes. Maybe that's why it was so easy for me, and difficult for you. Other than the size, there must differences in the construction. I only had to remove it and take the light out from the bottom, I did not have to disassemble it.

Tags
location, reverse camera, zhp