E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
celluloidheros

My Ride: 2001 330 xi
Broken Rear Spring-again 2001 330xi 82k orig owner

Hello,

I have owned my car since 1/2001. it was built in 12/00. I live in rochester ny, so we have lots of salt/snow. The rear springs break on the bottom of the spring in the small diameter of the spring. I think that the metal is not stress relived properly and that the salt /rust doesn't help things any. The height of the car drops a small amount (1/2 inch or so). The dealers in this area always check the springs when they have your car because it's an easy install . I have broken 4 springs so far and do not beat on the car at all.

I run stock size 17 inch wheels/tires in the summer and BMW 17/7 steel rims/225/45/17 Hakkapelliita's in the winter

Anyway, I need a rear spring or set of springs. My one thought is to install some H & R's and only replace the stock shocks (w/Bilsteins) when they blow out in a year or so. Another thought is to buy 1 or 2 from Bavarian AUTO RECYCLERS.

http://www.data.bmrparts.com/bmwpart...42695356U.html

Pelican and Tischer sell OEM rear springs for $ 120 or so

I can get H and R's for $265 shipped. (that's a set of 4 springs too) CAN I JUST USE THE REAR H & R SPRINGS and leave the front alone for now ?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ppingZip=14580

I just hate to put OEM springs in when i know they are semi defective. This really should be a recall item.

I think I have green stripe color coding on the springs but I have to check. does anyone have a spring or two they would like to sell ?

Any recommendations ? I wonder if the eibachs or h & r's will break like the oem's. Thanks in advance, CH

Last edited by celluloidheros; 02-06-2011 at 06:30 AM.
celluloidheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
colo330xi

My Ride: 01 330xi
I think the only issue you'd run into is the H&R or Eibach springs will lower the rear, and the front will stay stock height. In addition to just looking weird, it might make the front end feel loose. (purely speculation on my part)

It looks like new springs will have a 1 year warranty, so they do have that much going for them. If you keep breaking the oem ones, might as well try something different right?
colo330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
you shouldn't mix springs. i would go with eibach if you live in Rochester. I have H&R and dont mind them at all but they can be a bit harsh on terrible roads.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
The_Don

My Ride: 2001, 325Ci
I have stock rear sport springs that I just took off this summer. They are in pretty good condition, and the only reason I took them out is because I upgraded to coilovers. I believe that these are the green striped ones as well. Crazy that you've already been through two sets of rear springs. I can only guess that it's the weather and salt you guys have to deal with up north. Mine's a socal car, so it doesn't get nearly the punishment from the weather. Shoot me a PM If you're interested in the springs. Good luck!

For Sale
The_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
We should start a class action suit against BMW for defective springs and for not updating the part.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
celluloidheros

here's the p/n of the springs that i have in there 33-53-6-775-573 . thanks for the offer "the don". Let me pull the rear wheel and verify what color that i have in there. BMW used different springs on each car depending on the options installed.

"the don" did you say yours were sport springs off a 325ci ?

Does anyone know how to cross reference BMW color coding on springs with mfg p/n's ? I'd like to find out what color 33-53-6-775-573 is ?

I can say this, that car with aggressive Hakkapelliita snow tires is hard to beat in the snow.

Thanks again, Don C.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
celluloidheros

OK Ok i gto off my butt and pulled the rear wheel. We got 6 inches of lake effect snow so it was slushy out there but at least i have a garage. My springs have the white stripes. I loooked at my last dealer bill and these correspond to bmw p/n 33-53-6-775-573. "the don", can you check your color for me ?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
The_Don

My Ride: 2001, 325Ci
My rear springs are the green striped ones and my fronts were, I think I remember correctly, double white stripes. It's the color code for sport suspension for '01. I don't know what other year(s) this color corresponds with, but i looked it up on a reference chart on this forum. I will see if I can't find that reference link for you. My car is a coupe, so it has the sport suspension standard anyway.

For Sale
The_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
celluloidheros

Thanks Don, that's too funny, my name is "Don" and i like the group "The White stripes" there's some humor in there somewhere. OK, so now where do I buy some used whitestripe springs from ? At least i have the BMW p/n 33-53-6-775-573 thanks again, dc

Last edited by celluloidheros; 02-06-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
chsu74

My Ride: 550XI,993TT,GL320
If you are doing the install yourself, it makes sense to buy used springs. I would buy a new set if I am paying an Indy and save the install cost when the used set craps out again.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
srm5161

My Ride: 325xi
Something similar happened to me over the summer...I was tight on time and only had a few days when I broke a rear spring...so i ended up buying the H&Rs from tirerack. I only put the rears on as those saved a lot of time..

I didnt notice any difference what so ever after running this setup for about 5 months. the front end felt no different then before. Im also from the snowy northeast and get pounded quite frequently. The lower rear didnt affect anything at all..

Overall i didnt notice that the rear was lower...i only began to notice when i finally got around to putting the front springs on...good luck op
srm5161 is offline   Reply With Quote