E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: arizona
Posts: 1,173
My Ride: 05 M3
Turbo Build with ProEFI Pro128

I thought you guys might like to see what we have done with my 2005 M3 SMG.

We installed a Gt40 turbo and front mount intercooler
Stock Catback Exhaust
Installed a Pro128 ProEFI computer
Flex fuel Sensor so I can run any mix of pump gas to 100% Ethanol.
Differential wheel speed traction control (all through the factory CAN bus system)
I-Boost 5 boost curve switch controlled through the factory Cruise control buttons when the cruise control isn't active.
Scramble boost through the cruise set button
FIC 1100cc injectors
Fuel Pressure sensor - Monitors fuel pressure and adjusts accordingly (you'll see in the video). Allows for failsafes with loss of pressure.
Exhaust Backpressure sensor
Stock Pump (for now)
Stock Intake manifold
Stock Clutch (for now)
Stock Engine (for now )
Stock Ignition

Made 573RWHP at 9psi of boost.

Here is the video

Last edited by Jason@proefi; 02-15-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Jason@proefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
02black330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ^^ E46FANATICS ^^
Posts: 1,814
My Ride: spaceship
Very nice set up. I am liking the user end control, definitely helps in troubleshooting issues. Let me beat everyone to it, can you please post a dyno graph for us?
__________________







Last edited by 02black330ci; 02-15-2011 at 11:21 AM.
02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
SPDu4ea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,118
My Ride: .
Congrats. I suppose that means S. = Siebels?


Edit: From the "we've done some things to prevent check engine light" I assume that this too is piggybacked/paralleled with the DME. Do you have complete control of throttle, redline, etc?

Last edited by SPDu4ea; 02-15-2011 at 11:39 AM.
SPDu4ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Gheybe
Registered User
 
Gheybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego/Santa Barbara
Posts: 10,189
My Ride: C6 Z06
Wow. Talk about control over your boost.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
E46_330i_Stud
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,888
My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
Very nice. Price wise, how does this kit compare to say an HPF Stage 1 or 2 kit? I love the way the boost is controlled.
__________________


1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Forcefed M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,418
My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Very cool.
__________________
Forcefed M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: arizona
Posts: 1,173
My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02black330ci View Post
Very nice set up. I am liking the user end control, definitely helps in troubleshooting issues. Let me beat everyone to it, can you please post a dyno graph for us?
Here is a link to the graph. http://www.proefi.com/M3__SMG_.html
Jason@proefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: arizona
Posts: 1,173
My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDu4ea View Post
Congrats. I suppose that means S. = Siebels?


Edit: From the "we've done some things to prevent check engine light" I assume that this too is piggybacked/paralleled with the DME. Do you have complete control of throttle, redline, etc?
Yes! Siebels

The stock computer remains in the vehicle to keep the rest of the controllers happy. We are in complete control of the ignition/fuel rev limiting, that isn't to say that the stock ecu can't shut the throttle (we haven't seen this yet, but we haven't pushed our test car past 8200rpm's as of yet). We can take control of the ETC if we choose to, but on the SMG, it gets much more involved very quickly. So for now, we haven't found any reason to remove the stock computers control of the ETC. We are looking at writing strategy to take complet control over the SMG trans. I'm not completely happy with how they do their shift strategy, and I think it can be improved upon. This is a long process to get it right, so I can't give a time frame on it. If you have a 6spd car and have found good reason to take over the Throttle, it definately can be done, we do it on the Nissan's and the corvettes.
Jason@proefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: arizona
Posts: 1,173
My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_330i_Stud View Post
Very nice. Price wise, how does this kit compare to say an HPF Stage 1 or 2 kit? I love the way the boost is controlled.
I don't want to get into trouble with the Admins. This is just a thread to show what I have done so far. ProEFI is developing an Engine controller kit, not a turbo kit, so I don't think it is really comparable.
Jason@proefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
SPDu4ea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,118
My Ride: .
Awesome. Do you have a complete list of the things the proEFI controls? Aside from what's been mentioned I'm thinking of Vanos... And does the proEFI affect obd2 emissions-readiness status? Do you have a time frame for release?

Last edited by SPDu4ea; 02-15-2011 at 12:12 PM.
SPDu4ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,991
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason S. View Post
I don't want to get into trouble with the Admins. This is just a thread to show what I have done so far. ProEFI is developing an Engine controller kit, not a turbo kit, so I don't think it is really comparable.
Keep the focus on your car and you'll do just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason S. View Post
Yes! Siebels

The stock computer remains in the vehicle to keep the rest of the controllers happy. We are in complete control of the ignition/fuel rev limiting, that isn't to say that the stock ecu can't shut the throttle (we haven't seen this yet, but we haven't pushed our test car past 8200rpm's as of yet). We can take control of the ETC if we choose to, but on the SMG, it gets much more involved very quickly. So for now, we haven't found any reason to remove the stock computers control of the ETC. We are looking at writing strategy to take complet control over the SMG trans. I'm not completely happy with how they do their shift strategy, and I think it can be improved upon. This is a long process to get it right, so I can't give a time frame on it. If you have a 6spd car and have found good reason to take over the Throttle, it definately can be done, we do it on the Nissan's and the corvettes.
I've downloaded the GUI, and right away dug into the transmission screens. Wow! This stuff is really nice. You might be familiar with dedicated gear shift control boxes from Pectel and Motec...but none of them delve into automatic transmission control, just sequentials with air shifting or electric shifting. Very intriguing.
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,991
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDu4ea View Post
Awesome. Do you have a complete list of the things the proEFI controls? Aside from what's been mentioned I'm thinking of Vanos... And does the proEFI affect obd2 emissions-readiness status? Do you have a time frame for release?
It's pretty comprehensive. I'm seeing stuff in the control menus I haven't seen with Motec for example. It also has a really well written help menu for each screen.

The only question I have right now...because I'm on my netbook....is can we stack multiple setup screens on multiple displays? For example run the boost control screen on one display, and the nitrous screen on another?
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: arizona
Posts: 1,173
My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDu4ea View Post
Awesome. Do you have a complete list of the things the proEFI controls? Aside from what's been mentioned I'm thinking of Vanos... And does the proEFI affect obd2 emissions-readiness status? Do you have a time frame for release?
Currently, we have found no reason to control the variable cams, and that is one reason we don't get any lights, so they are related. Yes, it can be done...again we control the v-cam on multiple platforms. But if it aint broke.....

Please PM questions about the kit.

Thanks.
Jason@proefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: arizona
Posts: 1,173
My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
It's pretty comprehensive. I'm seeing stuff in the control menus I haven't seen with Motec for example. It also has a really well written help menu for each screen.

The only question I have right now...because I'm on my netbook....is can we stack multiple setup screens on multiple displays? For example run the boost control screen on one display, and the nitrous screen on another?
The software is VERY overhead intensive because it is so graphical. So when you open one screen, it closes the other.

It is very comprehensive. On that dyno run, I started to notice the clutch slipping in the log (you can log clutch slip), so I am in process of tracking down a good clutch to put in, and I will add some fuel pump fix that issue as well. Then I can run straight E85 in the car and turn it up!

Anyone got any good clutch recomendations for an SMG at just over 800WHP?

Last edited by Jason@proefi; 02-15-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Jason@proefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,991
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason S. View Post
The software is VERY overhead intensive because it is so graphical. So when you open one screen, it closes the other.

It is very comprehensive. On that dyno run, I started to notice the clutch slipping in the log (you can log clutch slip), so I am in process of tracking down a good clutch to put in, and I will add some fuel pump fix that issue as well. Then I can run straight E85 in the car and turn it up!

Anyone got any good clutch recomendations for an SMG at just over 800WHP?
Yeah, I noticed it's pretty heavy on the graphics...and that's not a complaint. I've worked with a lot of GUIs, and this one is really nice.

Only thing so far I don't like is that you can't assign load (For example pick TPS instead of MAP) on maps. And also you can't re-label inputs...or at least I can't seem to figure that out. If you want to run 12 pressure sensor inputs, can you assign names to those?

Sorry to be so focused on the GUI....but it's really nice.
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #16
cnotesdip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bx
Posts: 817
My Ride: 330ci
how reliable is this set up? any safe guards ??? is it dummy proof???? I mean sure the hpf kits are expensive but its very reliable and its basically dummy proof i haven't heard of any hpf kit owner with a damage engine due to a bad tune...

Last edited by cnotesdip; 02-15-2011 at 02:26 PM.
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: arizona
Posts: 1,173
My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Yeah, I noticed it's pretty heavy on the graphics...and that's not a complaint. I've worked with a lot of GUIs, and this one is really nice.

Only thing so far I don't like is that you can't assign load (For example pick TPS instead of MAP) on maps. And also you can't re-label inputs...or at least I can't seem to figure that out. If you want to run 12 pressure sensor inputs, can you assign names to those?

Sorry to be so focused on the GUI....but it's really nice.
If you set it up to be from TPS or ALpha N (which is how I run my car) You just scale the 'Y' axis for 0 to 100% Throttle.
Jason@proefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
supersickbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,088
My Ride: 617rwhp M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason S. View Post
The software is VERY overhead intensive because it is so graphical. So when you open one screen, it closes the other.

It is very comprehensive. On that dyno run, I started to notice the clutch slipping in the log (you can log clutch slip), so I am in process of tracking down a good clutch to put in, and I will add some fuel pump fix that issue as well. Then I can run straight E85 in the car and turn it up!

Anyone got any good clutch recomendations for an SMG at just over 800WHP?
Try the HPF clutches. Only ones to handle 800rwhp. Drivability is great too.

Great job BTW. Can't wait to see more.
__________________
supersickbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #19
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: arizona
Posts: 1,173
My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnotesdip View Post
how reliable is this set up? any safe guards ??? is it dummy proof???? I mean sure the hpf kits are expensive but its very reliable and its basically dummy proof i haven't heard of any hpf kit owner with a damage engine due to a bad tune...
Here are the failsafes I have on my M3.

Overboost - Drop to base boost, and engage a limiter

Fuel pressure variance - This will detect any fuel system problem, then Drop to base boost, and trigger warning light (which we just need to install).

Injector max duty reached - drop to base boost, and trigger Warning light.

Lean condition under power - drop to base boost, and trigger Warning light.

Low Oil pressure - Drop to base boost, activate limiter, and trigger warning light.

Low Ethanol Content - Limit boost to safe pump fuel level, and trigger warning light.

Overtemp condition - Drop to base boost, and trigger Warning light

Radiator Pressure - If the cooling system exceeds 'x' value drop boost, and trigger a light.

True Knock control - This is frequency and window based (like the stock ecu).

Differential Wheel Speed - Programmed allowed slip against non driven wheel speed. This allows me to launch the car under power, but control the slip for maximum acceleration.

There is more in there, but this gives you a pretty good idea on the safety features.
Jason@proefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
darkapollo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2000 328i ZSP
Wow! very impressive!
darkapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use