E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Question Oil Sludge?

When I went to add some oil the other day I noticed what appeared to be a layer of built up oil. I ran my finger inside the valve cover and came back with a small amount of what I would call built up sludge.
I am getting ready to change my oil, so I am wondering if there is a product(not snake oil) that you all use to reduce/eliminate the build up of oil film/sludge just before changing the oil?
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
if its like this:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=oil

Than you have nothing to worry about.

If its yellow gunk stuff that almost looks like mayo, than you have something to worry about.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Mclovin1458

My Ride: 2005 325ci, zsp/zpp
...no

"yellow gunk stuff" on your oil cap is normal if you do alot of short trips. Few nice 20-30 min hwy runs will get rid of that. This happens on all cars.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
VECTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
if its like this:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=oil

Than you have nothing to worry about.

If its yellow gunk stuff that almost looks like mayo, than you have something to worry about.
It was on the internal engine metal I could reach with my finger, not the cap itself. It came off like a paste more than a lite film of oil. I cannot say it looked like mayo, but lets assume for the moment it is. What do you guys use(if anything) to loosen or break it down right before an oil change?

What is there to worry about as you put it if it is more like mayo, and what is typically done to get rid of it?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
antonmn

My Ride: 02 325Ci
Sounds like standard gunk. I'd change the oil more often, consider running a cycle of AutoRX, but that's about it. I'd run a synthetic that is a little more detergent heavy. BMW's oil is not... it likes to leave red staining behind, or worse.

If you're really concerned, pop the valve cover off and post pics. Some of us really get off on valvetrain pohrn
Old 02-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclovin1458 View Post
...no

"yellow gunk stuff" on your oil cap is normal if you do alot of short trips. Few nice 20-30 min hwy runs will get rid of that. This happens on all cars.
no, its not normal in the sense of what normal is. Its just a sort of common issue, normal would be if there was gunk crap.

If its just that redish/brownish paste, thats "normal". Thats regular deposits that have built up, not an issue at all....unless its some damn thick layers. Get a pic.

If its the yellow gunk crap, its most likely due to condensation; can also be a variety of other issues such as a bad/clogged ccv (crank case vent valve), cold temperatures are the main issue of this yellow gunk, you have nothing to worry abt since you're in FL

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonmn View Post
If you're really concerned, pop the valve cover off and post pics. Some of us really get off on valvetrain pohrn

Ditto.

Nothing like a few pairs of sexy rocker arms to ogle!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
many on the E38 boards have reported luck with this stuff:

http://www.auto-rx.com/

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
many on the E38 boards have reported luck with this stuff:

http://www.auto-rx.com/
Reading through their site a little... One thing that jumped out at me is that they do not recommend using synthetic oil while using autorx. Is this safe with our cars?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
danewilson77

My Ride: 2004 zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Reading through their site a little... One thing that jumped out at me is that they do not recommend using synthetic oil while using autorx. Is this safe with our cars?
You have to use an estoril free oil.......is it safe for our cars? I will only say it is not the BMW approved oil.

Do I think it will cause damage if you do use it for a short period of time? No. How long does Auto-Rx take to work? A long time. Quite a cunundrum isn't it?

My recommendation would be this...

1. Make your trips a lil longer to ensure your car reaches normal operating temp.
2. Replace your ccv.
3. Change your oil with the BMW approved Synthetic oil.....but decrease the frequency of filter changes. Meaning....if you go 7500 miles in between changes.....maybe change out your filter every 1500 miles.....just for this periodicity.
4. Evaluate oil condition by all available means...including sending off an oil sample to Blackstone labs (Do this at your next oil change-after doing the elevated filter changing). They will tell you if you are good to go or not.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
antonmn

Last year I ran with 2/3 of a can of SeaFoam (basically a solvent) in the the crankcase for about 2500 miles. It really loaded up the oil filter with flaky crap, and caused the filter pleats to distort, as though they were under a lot of backpressure.

Long story short, it loosened a lot of garbage and sent it to the filter, which is what we want. But I'd probably only run it for maybe a thousand miles at a time. Maybe do that a few cycles with a cheaper dino oil.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
danewilson77

My Ride: 2004 zhp
Quote:
Last year I ran with 2/3 of a can of SeaFoam (basically a solvent) in the the crankcase for about 2500 miles. It really loaded up the oil filter with flaky crap, and caused the filter pleats to distort, as though they were under a lot of backpressure.

Long story short, it loosened a lot of garbage and sent it to the filter, which is what we want. But I'd probably only run it for maybe a thousand miles at a time. Maybe do that a few cycles with a cheaper dino oil.
The issue here is you want a sloooooooooooow breakdown of the sludge. I fear this method (above) my clog a small oil passage port to a vital area of the engine. That would be my only concern with Kerosene or Seafoam.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
You have to use an estoril free oil.......is it safe for our cars? I will only say it is not the BMW approved oil.

Do I think it will cause damage if you do use it for a short period of time? No. How long does Auto-Rx take to work? A long time. Quite a cunundrum isn't it?

My recommendation would be this...

1. Make your trips a lil longer to ensure your car reaches normal operating temp.
2. Replace your ccv.
3. Change your oil with the BMW approved Synthetic oil.....but decrease the frequency of filter changes. Meaning....if you go 7500 miles in between changes.....maybe change out your filter every 1500 miles.....just for this periodicity.
4. Evaluate oil condition by all available means...including sending off an oil sample to Blackstone labs (Do this at your next oil change-after doing the elevated filter changing). They will tell you if you are good to go or not.
I'm not asking because I have any issues right now, I'm just asking because I'm curious. If it is a viable solution, it might help out quite a few people.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
OrientBlau

Ive heard Sea Foam is all placebo.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Quote:

thats very bad, Instructions clearly say drive 100 miles than change oil

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #16
antonmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
Ive heard Sea Foam is all placebo.
You might be thinking of the induction cleaning, which is what most use it for. It's a solvent, and the problem is that it works too well. I posted an oil analysis about a year ago that showed how it lowered my oil's flashpoint and viscosity.

Can't say what it does in the fuel, and the induction cleaning might be nothing but a smoke show. But it certainly loosens stuff up when it's in the oil.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
OrientBlau

Quote:
You might be thinking of the induction cleaning, which is what most use it for. It's a solvent, and the problem is that it works too well. I posted an oil analysis about a year ago that showed how it lowered my oil's flashpoint and viscosity.

Can't say what it does in the fuel, and the induction cleaning might be nothing but a smoke show. But it certainly loosens stuff up when it's in the oil.
Yeah, Im just thinking of the induction and smoke screen.

I'd still question though, the effect that these particles one poster mentioned in his filter. Sounds like risky stuff to find large particles in your filter and enough to distort the filter pleats. Personally, I'd be wary of running anything in my oil.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
antonmn

Well, I don't think the crap in the filter was life or death... here's a pic:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I just wouldn't leave it in for 2500 miles like I did.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Thumbs Up

Auto-Rx is the only thing I add. 2 1/2 bottles in my sump right now with a Group III 5W40 oil..
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #20
VECTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Auto-Rx is the only thing I add. 2 1/2 bottles in my sump right now with a Group III 5W40 oil..
Not sure what Group III is, maybe an Aussie designation/measurement?

What about the earlier comment about not running it with synthetic oil?
Closed Thread