E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
jofa

My Ride: 2002 bmw 325xi
having a few problems, need advice..

hey guys, i just bought an 02 xi 5speed last week. unfortunately it has 130k but it was in my price range and i really wanted it. anyways it was good for the first couple days but every once in a while i notices a little vibation at idle and when driving it feels kinda skippy and shakey and when i get on it, it seems to get worse. it doesnt do it all the time which is strange. i had a friend scan it and a code came up that said it was misfiring on cylnders 2,3,4. sometimes you can hear the rough idle and this morning when starting it before work it even backfire when sitting idle. sometime it drives great but sometimes it feels broke. a buddy with a lexus said his did the same and it was because of high milage and stock coil packs. what do you guys think i should do and what steps should i take? i drive the car 80 miles a day so i have to do it soon but dont have the money to spend at bmw, id rather do it myself.. thanks for any help you guys have
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3m13p13l75Z25Q65X0b1p8b9d60066bed1f51.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	392829   Click image for larger version

Name:	0206112239b.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	392831   Click image for larger version

Name:	0205111554a.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	392832  

Last edited by jofa; 02-10-2011 at 05:59 PM.
jofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
lotar_6

My Ride: '01 xi, '94 Rado
That issue on VW/Audi cars is usually coil packs. I'm not familiar enough with the e46's to be certain, but I've read that the cam position sensors are a rather common failure.

Have you done any maintenance to it yet? Plugs are always the first step.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
blinkerfluid

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Just bought an identical car to yours, 02 325xi with 130K. The previous owner took mediocre care of it, but never did any proper service at 100K miles. Like you, I really wanted a BMW and it was in my price range.

I did all the 100K service myself, and it helped a lot. Start with plugs, if they are original they will be really nasty, and new ones will definitely help. When you take them out, you will have to remove the coil packs, check for blistering on the sleeves (check out http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=bubble+coil ).

Also +1 for cam position sensors

I would also recommend doing a search for 100K maintenance items. Chances are your Diff, tranny, and transfercase fluid need to be changed. Other fluids are probably due as well.
blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
jofa

thanks bro, yeah im glad i got the car but man its been a headache.. i had 2 flats already ontop of all the other issues that came up in the last week or so. i knew it needed stuff but i thought i had some time to build back up some money first... lol o btw, im diggin your user name haha
Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
jcarpfishman

My Ride: '01 330xi
Ok, well the quick easy way to diagnose if the misfire is on cylinders 2, 3, and 4, is to switch those coil packs to cylinders 1, 5, and 6. Make a diagram before hand so you can keep track of which ones were where, and where they went. If the misfires are now on cylinders 1, 5, and 6, something is janked up with the coil packs.

My guess, is that either the O2 sensors are going, you have an air leak somewhere, and or the VANOS seals have never been redone with aftermarket seals. An OBD reader will tell you if the O2 sensors are working properly once warmed up... drive around and watch the voltages and they should change as a function of how much gas you're giving it (if I remember correctly... Google search it to be sure). For the air leak, with the car idling and the hood up, spray carb cleaner on all of the joints along the air duct and if the idle perks up for a second, bingo... air leak. And VANOS seals... if they've never been done, they've been shot for years. If you know they're been replaced with Beisan seals, then I wouldn't worry about them.

If the cam position sensors are going /shot, I believe you get an error code related to them, so I'd check the other stuff first. As always, start with the easy stuff, then work your way to the more labor intensive and more expensive stuff. As blinkerfluid said, when you get in there, check the plugs too to see if they're ok. If they're not nasty and gunked up / worn away, those are probably not causing the issue.

FWIW, I had the same issue about 2 weeks after I got mine... fuel economy tanked, rough / bouncing idle, misfires in several cylinders. The two biggest contributors were VANOS seals and the air leak around the DISA valve for me. Lesser contributors, but still done while I was in there: cleaned the DISA valve and verified functionality, cleaned Idle Control Valve (which was gross looking), cleaned the throttle body, and cleaned the MAF (with MAF sensor cleaner!!), new plugs (even though old ones looked ok), and new air filter. Haven't had an idle issues or misfires since then!

Good luck with the fix!
jcarpfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
jcarpfishman

My Ride: '01 330xi
Oh, to second what blinkerfluid said, once you get the car running normally, then make sure to do the driveline fluids! Both differentials, the transmission, AND the transfer case... in order of increasing importance. (Your transfer case fluid will more than likely be jet black.) I used Redline fluids, but there's much debate out there as to what kind, etc. If only for the amount of fluid necessary: < http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-67...l-package.aspx >, I couldn't find this info elsewhere at the time. Only difference, rear differential for me was more like 1.25 - 1.5 quarts.
jcarpfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
jofa

thanks guys! ive only been on this site for about a week now and in that time have recieve alot of good advice. good people drive badass cars haha