E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #21
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,935
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Ol is a basestock and additive package. Oil basestock type is split into
Group I, Group II, Group II+, Group III, Group IV, Group V. Use RX with anything up to Group III, not IV and V.
sprintman is offline  
Old 02-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #22
shortyb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Now in beautiful Simpsonville SC
Posts: 1,659
My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
Do I think it will cause damage if you do use it for a short period of time? No. How long does Auto-Rx take to work? A long time. Quite a cunundrum isn't it?
That why it's broken down in phases, ie; clean and rinse. In a larger sump like our cars, you can go as far as 5K on either phase. ANY current crop of group III oil (sprintman makes a good recommendation with a 5W-40) will easily go 5K without, putting it like our favorite forum "expert" would say, blowing up your engine. I will throw in my .02 and say go with any non-syn HD diesel oil. If you're concerned about lots of stuff in there, run another clean/rinse cycle (which is recommended for engines over 100K anyway).
shortyb is offline  
Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #23
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,935
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
I ran my last lot of RX about 12,000kms from memory. 10,000kms/6,000 miles this time. My shop says it's the best running E46 they see period. RX is my little secret!
sprintman is offline  
Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #24
RockLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vero Beach FL.
Posts: 2,239
My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Ive been using M1 0W40 every 7500 miles.
http://img232.imageshack.us/g/dsc02119o.jpg/
__________________

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline  
Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 AM   #25
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,935
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
mine had M1 0W40 every 5,000 miles/8,000kms. RX made it much much better. Rejuvenates seals too (think VANOS)
sprintman is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 02:02 AM   #26
VECTOR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: S Florida
Posts: 236
My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
mine had M1 0W40 every 5,000 miles/8,000kms. RX made it much much better. Rejuvenates seals too (think VANOS)
So you are using RX with the Mobil1 0W40 ?
VECTOR is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #27
faceface
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WASHINTON
Posts: 4
My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonmn View Post
Well, I don't think the crap in the filter was life or death... here's a pic:


https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I just wouldn't leave it in for 2500 miles like I did.
looks cool

.
faceface is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #28
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,935
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Best not to use M1 0W40 with RX as it has ester content. I use Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, a Group III basestock oil with no ester or PAO content.
sprintman is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #29
Drewfus2101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 626
My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
mine had M1 0W40 every 5,000 miles/8,000kms. RX made it much much better. Rejuvenates seals too (think VANOS)
Nothing can rejuvinate rubber/plastic/whatever seals after they have been run down over thousands of miles.
Drewfus2101 is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #30
Drewfus2101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 626
My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonmn View Post
Last year I ran with 2/3 of a can of SeaFoam (basically a solvent) in the the crankcase for about 2500 miles. It really loaded up the oil filter with flaky crap, and caused the filter pleats to distort, as though they were under a lot of backpressure.

Long story short, it loosened a lot of garbage and sent it to the filter, which is what we want. But I'd probably only run it for maybe a thousand miles at a time. Maybe do that a few cycles with a cheaper dino oil.
I use SeaFoam as well. I usually dump in about 1/2 a can and then drive about 50 to 100 miles, then pull right up on the ramps for an oil change. Then change the oil while it is still smoking hot, so that it is still real thin. Also using M1 0W-40.

Just changed my valve cover, not a DROP of sludge.

I agree that 2500 miles is too long.
Drewfus2101 is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #31
hummer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 3,323
My Ride: 2001 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTOR View Post
So you are using RX with the Mobil1 0W40 ?
Did I miss it? What oil are you using? I had the mayo anound my cap with M1. But, after swithching to Castrol Syntec, it's gone!
hummer is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #32
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,935
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Drewfus2101 you are wrong about seals. How about posting your data to prove your theory?
sprintman is offline  
Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #33
jkahng
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 61
My Ride: 02 330ci 5spd zsp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
I ran my last lot of RX about 12,000kms from memory. 10,000kms/6,000 miles this time. My shop says it's the best running E46 they see period. RX is my little secret!
Hello Sprintman, everyone,
Class of 2011 reporting in...
Bought an 02 330ci zsp 116k miles on it abt 2 months ago.
The it was dealer maintained by a mature previous owner. But he only fixed stuff that broke. (power seat motor, windshield, door seals etc..)
No preventative maintenance done to it.

I can deal with other things that need to be done to it, but it took 1 quart after 700miles!!!
(CCV is clean, no leaks in the valve cover or oil pan. I do get a puff of white smoke on cold start but very little)

Not knowing this as the previous owner neglected to mention it... I've done other obvious stuff such as; 2 front tires, alignment, diff and tranny fluids w/ auto rx.

Now i just started the engine oil. I have castrol gtx 10w-40 dino w/ 2 bottles of auto-rx in the sump.

Sprintman,
can you tell us what the "results" of your treatment/flush cycle did for you?

i will update my findings soon (doing a x country trip tomorrow NJ=>CA)

Last edited by jkahng; 06-04-2011 at 04:47 PM.
jkahng is offline  
Old 06-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #34
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,973
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonmn View Post
Last year I ran with 2/3 of a can of SeaFoam (basically a solvent) in the the crankcase for about 2500 miles. It really loaded up the oil filter with flaky crap, and caused the filter pleats to distort, as though they were under a lot of backpressure.

Long story short, it loosened a lot of garbage and sent it to the filter, which is what we want. But I'd probably only run it for maybe a thousand miles at a time. Maybe do that a few cycles with a cheaper dino oil.
tsk tsk tsk. I bet the oil you took out of there was thicker then gear oil. You shouldn't have driven it more then 100-200 miles tops with seafoam, you were just asking for trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
Ive heard Sea Foam is all placebo.
Sorry to say, you've heard wrong. All that smoke produced with seafoam is cleared carbon build-up. It stabilizes idle, cleans the injectors, and it has personally given me improved gas mileage.
__________________
ac_2007 is offline  
Old 06-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #35
WheyArea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 628
My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTOR View Post
It was on the internal engine metal I could reach with my finger, not the cap itself. It came off like a paste more than a lite film of oil. I cannot say it looked like mayo, but lets assume for the moment it is. What do you guys use(if anything) to loosen or break it down right before an oil change?

What is there to worry about as you put it if it is more like mayo, and what is typically done to get rid of it?
This sounds pretty normal for the top of the engine cover. Years of build-up will cause that thick muddy grease. Most synthetics actually contain detergents to keep sludge from building up. You can either:

- change your oil more often
- use something like Auto-RX (don't think it's that drastic, but wouldn't hurt)

I suggest opening the valve cover and check to see if it's the entire engine or just the inside of the cover.
__________________

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1


Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
WheyArea is offline  
Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #36
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,935
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahng View Post
Hello Sprintman, everyone,
Class of 2011 reporting in...
Bought an 02 330ci zsp 116k miles on it abt 2 months ago.
The it was dealer maintained by a mature previous owner. But he only fixed stuff that broke. (power seat motor, windshield, door seals etc..)
No preventative maintenance done to it.

I can deal with other things that need to be done to it, but it took 1 quart after 700miles!!!
(CCV is clean, no leaks in the valve cover or oil pan. I do get a puff of white smoke on cold start but very little)

Not knowing this as the previous owner neglected to mention it... I've done other obvious stuff such as; 2 front tires, alignment, diff and tranny fluids w/ auto rx.

Now i just started the engine oil. I have castrol gtx 10w-40 dino w/ 2 bottles of auto-rx in the sump.

Sprintman,
can you tell us what the "results" of your treatment/flush cycle did for you?

i will update my findings soon (doing a x country trip tomorrow NJ=>CA)
VANOS seals rejuvenated, compression up, smooth as silk, zero oil consumption now. Run it at leat 5,000 miles and if you add oil add some RX too.
sprintman is offline  
Old 06-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #37
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,973
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
VANOS seals rejuvenated, compression up, smooth as silk, zero oil consumption now. Run it at leat 5,000 miles and if you add oil add some RX too.
How long have you been running it with AutoRX? I've heard pretty good things but if I'm remembering right its teflon based, and that tends to be a temporary fix.
__________________
ac_2007 is offline  
Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #38
jkahng
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 61
My Ride: 02 330ci 5spd zsp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
VANOS seals rejuvenated, compression up, smooth as silk, zero oil consumption now. Run it at leat 5,000 miles and if you add oil add some RX too.
Thanks for the info!!
Very nice to hear that auto rx works on the M54.
I had a pretty severe vcg leak on my maxima that auto rx cured... My auto tranny became silky smooth as well.

The only thing is....
I'm using US spec Castrox GTX 10W-40. Where as the euro spec Castrol GTX 10w-40 dino IS good for A3/B3, US spec is not.
I couldn't get my hands on PP 5w-30 which is group III

I'm not sure I want to leave it in so long.

I'll be changing the oil filter at abt 1,200miles into the treatment and changing the oil at abt 3200miles I don't want to harm the engine.
I'll just do another treatment if i'm not satisfied....

Again, Thanks for the info.
jkahng is offline  
Old 06-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #39
jkahng
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 61
My Ride: 02 330ci 5spd zsp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
How long have you been running it with AutoRX? I've heard pretty good things but if I'm remembering right its teflon based, and that tends to be a temporary fix.
Auto RX is a cleaner. It was developed for cleaning printing presses and invented by mistake.
I will slowly dissolve sludge over a 6000mile treatment/rinse cycle.
I don't think there's any teflon in it at all.

There's a religious following on bob's the oil guy forum. I would use it on any car that doesn't require synthetic oils but I had to do some research before I did it on my 330ci.
jkahng is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #40
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,973
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahng View Post
Auto RX is a cleaner. It was developed for cleaning printing presses and invented by mistake.
I will slowly dissolve sludge over a 6000mile treatment/rinse cycle.
I don't think there's any teflon in it at all.

There's a religious following on bob's the oil guy forum. I would use it on any car that doesn't require synthetic oils but I had to do some research before I did it on my 330ci.
You're right, I must have been thinking of another product.

During the treatment, they say you're supposed to run your car with conventional oil, and attribute oil burn to leaky seals stiffened by synthetic oil. I'm not sure if I believe their information about synth-oils, however I have seen the product work successfully. Guy had an older Honda with ~250k miles, and was burning a quart of oil every 800 miles. After the treatment, which took quite a while, it eventually stopped or slowed to the point where the burn was no longer noticeable.

So +1 for AutoRx. Not sure how many people on this forum would be brave enough to use it as our BMWs call for synthetic.
__________________
ac_2007 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use