E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
BMW_SSG

My Ride: '02 325i|'11 GT500
Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_SSG
I know I am going to get flamed but...

So I was at the Mainz-Kastel, Germany BMW and test drove a 2011 M3 sedan.

I was only moderately impressed with it, it had many options and felt great but my 2011 GT500 has better acceleration and raw power feeling to it.

Not taking anything away from the M3, it is am awesome vehicle I think I expected more possibly.

But driving was very lovely indeed, got up to 260kph. Sorry I didn't video tape it and post it to YouTube, doh!

Here is my GT500

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
MasterTJ

My Ride: 2002 e46 BMW M3 6sp
Well I dislike the new M3's, they're uglier and kinda fat looking, plus heavier. Not a fan of them compared the to e46 (pre facelift, not facelift) style.

I love the look of the GT500, and I can totally believe it feeling more raw.

But at the end of the day, it's still a Ford, it's still got some cheap ass american made parts in there (I say some because there are some well made parts as well). Also the interior is way uglier in the Ford. I'd take the new M3 over the GT500 but that's just my opinion.

Usually I'd say the Ford will breakdown more often, but after owning a BMW for a few months now, I'm starting to think the maintenance costs are similar to the American brands sadly.

All in all they're both lovely cars. Try the coupe version of the M3. The GT500 is a coupe, so why not compare the same body styles?
MasterTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
BMW_SSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTJ View Post
Well I dislike the new M3's, they're uglier and kinda fat looking, plus heavier. Not a fan of them compared the to e46 (pre facelift, not facelift) style.

I love the look of the GT500, and I can totally believe it feeling more raw.

But at the end of the day, it's still a Ford, it's still got some cheap ass american made parts in there (I say some because there are some well made parts as well). Also the interior is way uglier in the Ford. I'd take the new M3 over the GT500 but that's just my opinion.

Usually I'd say the Ford will breakdown more often, but after owning a BMW for a few months now, I'm starting to think the maintenance costs are similar to the American brands sadly.

All in all they're both lovely cars. Try the coupe version of the M3. The GT500 is a coupe, so why not compare the same body styles?
They didn't have a coup there at the time. You make some good points. But I would (did) take the GT500.

I would never take anything away from the M3, just glad I bought the GT500.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
koachrez

My Ride: 2003 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_SSG View Post
So I was at the Mainz-Kastel, Germany BMW and test drove a 2011 M3 sedan.

I was only moderately impressed with it, it had many options and felt great but my 2011 GT500 has better acceleration and raw power feeling to it.

Not taking anything away from the M3, it is am awesome vehicle I think I expected more possibly.

But driving was very lovely indeed, got up to 260kph. Sorry I didn't video tape it and post it to YouTube, doh!

Here is my GT500

you should go post in a gt500 forum about how happy you are not an bmw forum and how can you compare a luxury sports car to a full on race car. what are we suppose to say... nobody care's if you like your car more than an m3... to bad its ugly as hell you should have got a new ss camaro or srt8 charger way better looking... by the way you know what ford stands for right?
koachrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Drunk_Bird

My Ride: 06 M3 ZCP
^ A little harsh, but I agree.
Drunk_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
jackyboym3

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
M3 ftw!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
cabe01

My Ride: 05 M3 SMG
Not gonna flame you, I like the GT500 look actually. I just don't like that it's a Ford..

Also, one of the things I like about being in my M3 is that I can drive around town all day and not see another one. I can drive to Mcdonalds and see 3 Mustangs along the way, though.
cabe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabe01 View Post
Not gonna flame you, I like the GT500 look actually. I just don't like that it's a Ford..

Also, one of the things I like about being in my M3 is that I can drive around town all day and not see another one. I can drive to Mcdonalds and see 3 Mustangs along the way, though.
You wouldn't be able to say the same in So Cal

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Wadia

My Ride: 05 M3 VERT/SMG
Flaming the poor guy would be a bad show and just add more carbon to the atmosphere! Ford was built as the common mans car and anybody can work on one, so, we must respect his wish to be a common man! Enjoy your ride and rubber side down. Cheers Dennis
Old 02-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
Ingenere

My Ride: M3, 348 SS, SL55
Send a message via Yahoo to Ingenere
I have driven a GT500 and it was typical Detroit iron: Big motor, cheap, poorly made interior, and it even had a live rear axle. Wow! I have driven a Saleen variant where they actually put IRS in and it was better, but still a yawn.

My assessment was it would make a decent rental, but I couldn't imagine who on earth would actually sign on the dotted line for it.

Ciao.........Dino
M3... Tuned to 370 hp & delimited
SL55 AMG... Tuned to 550 hp & delimited
TR (sold)
Ferrari Challenge Stradale
F40 (sold)
March/Cosworth Indycar
Ducati 916
Mini Cooper S...Tuned to 185 hp

www.veloceperformance.com

Last edited by Ingenere; 02-19-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Ingenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
BMW_SSG

burn Baby burn...

Has any one besides Ingenere actually driven both a new M3 and a new GT500 ?

As I said, I am not taking anything away from the M3, I think it is a spectacular vehicle, awesome handling. Its just that the acceleration did do anything for me.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
BimmItUp

My Ride: 01' 330i
It's not all about acceleration, is it? If you're just gonna do flat out 1/4 mile runs then I believe you have the right car.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #13
BMW_SSG

True... IMHO I don't think the new Mustangs interior is cheap either.

But the interior does not compare to the M3s, I will admit that. The dealer said they hired some female designer to redo the BMW's inside with new flow and what not, any truth to that?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_SSG View Post
True... IMHO I don't think the new Mustangs interior is cheap either.

But the interior does not compare to the M3s, I will admit that. The dealer said they hired some female designer to redo the BMW's inside with new flow and what not, any truth to that?
Whoever redesigned the E9x interior should be slapped across the face. Almost everything great about the E46 interior was taken out. Granted the materials are a bit more solid, but the driver-centric design is gone, moving many of the controls from the center to the door was ridiculous, and something about the long, desolate flat lines of the dash bother me... it's just too plane looking for me.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
seca46style

My Ride: R.I.P lsb m3
seca46style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #16
seca46style

My Ride: R.I.P lsb m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
Whoever redesigned the E9x interior should be slapped across the face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06e46m3 View Post
so i added her on fb and she accepts because i am popular

seca46style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #17
BMW_SSG

I really don't care for the cup holders either!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #18
AAblown

My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
if i had the money id buy a new gt500, and keep my M3's. Its badass looking car, sounds mean, and has hella power( supercharged V8) for a decent price. BUT you really cant compare a SVT supercharged GT500 to a standard E9x M3. I too drove the new E9x M3, and wasnt too impressed over the E46, though the interior is much nicer. Im sure if i slapped a SC or turbo on my E46 M3 it would ruin a GT500 drivers day. And i hope the GT500 seems a lil bit faster it has more than 100hp than a new e9x and more torque. An even comparison would be the a GT500 and a AA SC E9x M3 minus the price tag of course. An E9x isnt really a sports car though, but for the price that GT500 is one nice car
Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #19
adame46man

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
How do you handle turns with that mustang?

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

Bimmerbrakes Headers, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Rogue Power Pulleys,Active Autowerke Software, Clear corners, side and tail lights, APEX ARC-8 wheels
adame46man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #20
BMW_SSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by adame46man View Post
How do you handle turns with that mustang?

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App
With both hands... LOL

It has very good handling, it comes with an active handling package that is standard.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-handling.html