E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #61
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Way to go, keep up the good work!

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #62
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #63
dynamictype

My Ride: E 350
Send a message via Skype™ to dynamictype
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejheverest View Post
We don't have any kids. I do see some large expenses for us in the next 3 years since she wants to eventually get married and pop a kid out.

I am finding it very difficult to think of even having one kid since it is a huge expense and I'd rather own an E30, E46 and E90 M3.....

Lucky for me I enjoy handling all the major finances and investing decisions we have. We each have 2 401k's, small pensions and I actively trade with my ThinkorSwim account.

I'll be in a completely different career most likely by the time I'm 31 so that will also affect how much we are able to invest and pay down mortgage debt after that point. I have had enough with working for- R I G (ticker)
Man we lucked out because we have tons of family in the area so we avoided daycare which is a bunch and then once he got off formula it was basically just play time, lol. BTW, just my .002 dont spend your money on all the toys and clothes, they grow quick and lose interest even quicker.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #64
BimmerFerret

Thumbs Up

Paid off a student loan today!

Left to go:

Car: $0.00
School Loan 1: $0.00
School Loan 2: ~$1,135.
Medical Debt: $3,320

Total: $4,455

Highest Interest Rate - Student Loan 2 @ 3.87% ( I just got a paper statement on this... finally! )
Lowest Interest Rate - Medical Debt @ 0.00%

Highest Payment - Medical Debt @ $167/month
Lowest Payment - School Loan @ $50/month

Quote:
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.

Last edited by BimmerFerret; 02-01-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #65
dynamictype

Sold the Range Rover, 3 cars sold in 6 months. Down to one and will have it paid off next year!!! Student loan will be gone in 9 months so I see what Mr Dave was talking about in regards to Financial Freedom and paying for things with CASH!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #66
BimmerFerret

Well done!

Quote:
Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #67
BimmerFerret

Everyday I look around the internet and I see cars like this:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

and

I mean, I seriously could get a loan and easily afford the payments. I'm doing my best to stay strong though. Must keep the eye on the prize (no payments)!

Quote:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #68
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CiJohn View Post
Everyday I look around the internet and I see cars like this:

and

I mean, I seriously could get a loan and easily afford the payments. I'm doing my best to stay strong though. Must keep the eye on the prize (no payments)!
Both of those are too expensive, I got my '04 for 16k
Shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #69
BimmerFerret

Hmm... Well it'll be awhile before I make any sort of moves whatsoever. I just get antsy somedays.

Quote:
Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #70
BimmerFerret

Well, mortgage is gonna hit tomorrow, if my budget lines up, I'm paying off the other student loan.

Quote:
Old 02-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #71
punchesdfw

My Ride: 330ci 318ic 2002 633
Good job! Tomorrow my Bride and I celebrate 25-years of marriage and we're debt free! Unfortunately, for the first 10-years of our marriage we made very good money and spent every penny of it.

Just remember, the only things better than "That new car smell" is the smell of CASH and a paid for house!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #72
BimmerFerret

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchesdfw View Post
Good job! Tomorrow my Bride and I celebrate 25-years of marriage and we're debt free! Unfortunately, for the first 10-years of our marriage we made very good money and spent every penny of it.

Just remember, the only things better than "That new car smell" is the smell of CASH and a paid for house!
Thanks and a huge

Quote:
Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #73
kcult

My Ride: 99 323i, 99 328i
After reading TMM, we were inspired to start the process. We had admitted to ourselves that we were in a vicious cycle. We would buy something on credit and/or run up our card, get fed up, spend our time sweating about paying off the debts only to get them paid and run the debt up again. After reading TMM, we buckled down and applied the steps.

We started sometime in '07 with a car payment, CC debt and a furniture store debt. I had a 401k started in '93, so I didn't feel the real need to put money away in a savings account and spent it freely. Oh, another problem the wife and I had was the inability to tell the other "no" when it came to purchases. That's why we ended up buying a time share and her BMW when we did.

We saved the $1k E-fund, then started working on the debt snowball. By the time we got to the car, we were able to put $1200 per month on it instead of the regular $373. We paid it off about a year early. Then we started working on saving the 6 months' living expenses. That seems to be a harder step, believe it or not. You would think if you were dropping $1200 per month on a car payment, you would be able to put that same amount in the bank each month no problem.

The savings account seems to suffer the same cycle the debt did. We get the account built up a bit, then it gets hit. We build it up a bit, hit. The last hit was my daughter's car. We got her a '99 323i for $4k. Just a few short years ago we would have borrowed the money to get the car, then work like mad to pay it off. It felt good to be able to just buy the car.

We are still saving what we can while still attempting to live and enjoy a little of what we earn (I say "we" although I'm the one working while my wife goes to nursing school). I also refied my house in '03 with a 4.875% rate for 15 years. For the last two years, we have put an extra $50 per month towards the premium and this year, we've decided to pay an extra $100 (on a payment of less than $600).

tl;dr.
kcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #74
BimmerFerret

Cool man, sounds like you all have made great progress! The 15/yr mortgage was a really big decision I'm glad we made as well.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #75
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Well, an update on my situation is in order. I've been slowly increasing my 401(k) contributions as I realized I was putting more and more into savings and my brokerage accounts and have been at 10% for a while now (plus 4.5% company match). Found out I'm getting a small raise so I just bumped it up another 1% to 11% pre-tax contributions. I've also been and am going to be working quite a bit of overtime for a while (20 hours per week for 5 weeks and then 12 weeks of 10 hours overtime +$46/day expenses during the work-week) so I'm putting that extra take home pay away for the next car. If all goes well, I should be buying my next car in a few months. I do plan on taking out a loan for part of it but will pay that off in 3-6 months (depending on overtime during the second half of the year). The only reason I'm getting a loan is to have it on my credit report since it's been years since I was paying on a loan now and the interest I'll pay over a few months will be minimal.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #76
BimmerFerret

Hmm. Well if you can do a loan payoff in 3-6 months that is pretty impressive. I think that sounds reasonable.

Good job on the investing though. Once again, I'm still haven't started aggressively investing yet. However, my wife's new job is really starting to become very lucrative. Especially with bonus potential. Thanks to her new position, I think it is very possible to be debt free but the house by the end of April.

I think I have about $4k of debt left. $3k on the med stuff and $1k on my student loan. Anyways, lets hope it works out. I know if I was more hardcore and didn't do anything at all (such as buying my iPad 2, going out to eat, etc.), I'd be debt free already. Oh well, such is life.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #77
dynamictype

Great thread and I still have my basic Roth plus TSP. I put the extra 2% Obama gave us back from FICA and my 1% raise into my TSP. For my Roth I was with more aggressive and opened another fund for added diversification. As far as bills, one car payment and the rental property is still rented with the extra from the refi going toward the principle!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #78
BimmerFerret

Damn it.

I swore off car payments, but a great deal for an M3 just showed up near me. I may have to go to hell for this one. Oh well.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #79
dynamictype

As long as your priorities are straight, haggle, and go for it. Savings first then maybe a ride, but I am pretty much out of the car note business. At least for a minute.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #80
BimmerFerret

Well it didn't work out anyways, so no biggie for now. I decided I think I'm done with the idea of an M car.

Quote: