E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #41
AW330

My Ride: 03 AW 330I AA Stg 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
wow, that looks really good. When I mounted the brackets to the original screws and mounting points, my bumper sat out about an inch from the body. I will need to shave the screws off from the body and remount the brack closer in to the body. Then push the bumper shocks in. I heard an inch is good. I know you measured about an 1.25" short. Let me know how that works out.
Yeah I shaved the screws off too here's pics of my finished side bracket.

You can see here the flap that I had to shave down aswell

Remounted with self tapping screws

Backside shot of mounted bracket

And here's what I did with the bolts. I went to home depot and bought 2 zinc plated 3/8 x 4 inch bolts and 2 3/8 washers. Much easier To handle than the t50 bolts with a less chance of stripping.

As for the bumper shocks, can I hammer them in? Or will that set off my airbags? How could I go about doing It without welding them ?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #42
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
So you didn't shave the brackets down? You just pushed them in as far up to the side body as possible and remounted them?

Good alternative to the bumper bolts.

Also, in re: to the bumper shocks... I've heard two things without having to reweld.

1.) Take the shock off and look down the back side of the tube. There is a plastic cover inside the tube. You could drill a hole in that to relieve the pressure, push the shock in, then put a screw in the hole and cover it up to prevent leaking.

2.) E30 bumper mod. Slowly back into a wall (using a 2x4 between the wall and the shock). It will slowly compress like a 5 mph collision, but should not set off the airbags.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #43
AW330

Quote:
So you didn't shave the brackets down? You just pushed them in as far up to the side body as possible and remounted them?

Good alternative to the bumper bolts.

Also, in re: to the bumper shocks... I've heard two things without having to reweld.

1.) Take the shock off and look down the back side of the tube. There is a plastic cover inside the tube. You could drill a hole in that to relieve the pressure, push the shock in, then put a screw in the hole and cover it up to prevent leaking.

2.) E30 bumper mod. Slowly back into a wall (using a 2x4 between the wall and the shock). It will slowly compress like a 5 mph collision, but should not set off the airbags.
Hmm I might do #1

But yeah I did shave down the bracket. You only need to shave the corner tho where the farthest hole is.

Heres what I did to the drivers side flap.

Reasoning for this has nothing to do with the bracket but for the bumper. Since the bumper is pulled in, the sliders on the bumper hit this flap and don't allow the bumper so sit right at the fender. By cutting this out it allows the bumper to travel as u can see here.

Here's what u have to cut on the brackets

Old 02-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #44
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Great, looks like more cutting for me then. I didn't take off the wheel well lining, I was just concentrated on the brackets and everything else....
Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #45
AW330

Here's the bracket mounted and bumper finally mounted. Def gonna need to shorten those bumper shocks

Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #46
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Nice work.... you are def helping me out , just get those shocks shortened and it will be on point.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #47
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
i didnt realize fitting the rear bumper was so difficult
Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #48
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
i didnt realize fitting the rear bumper was so difficult
Yep, that's why a lot of people don't do it. If you want it to look oem, a lot of modification is required.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #49
AW330

Quote:
Yep, that's why a lot of people don't do it. If you want it to look oem, a lot of modification is required.
yeah bro, ive gotten so frustrated at points (especially with the seized bolt) that i just wanted to give up and kick my car off the jack stands.

Its definitly not for the average DIY'er. You need the right tools, time, patience and experience with retrofitting. Also if your broke, dont be attempting this. I spent a good amount of money on just tools (dremel attachments, drill bits, screws, bolts and new brackets.) just to make it work.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #50
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
lookin good dude! the bracket route is time-consuming but in the end is the proper way to do it. my zip-tie attempt worked great for me. shorten those bumper shocks and it will be fukin perfect!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #51
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I must say, sedans with M3 bumpers look sooooo much better than coupes. Don't get me wrong, I love mine but all m3s are coupes and all m3s have that bumper. Mad props
codyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #52
AW330

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyfunk View Post
I must say, sedans with M3 bumpers look sooooo much better than coupes. Don't get me wrong, I love mine but all m3s are coupes and all m3s have that bumper. Mad props
Thanks guys, I'll post better pics once my diffuser is painted and I route my exhaust
Old 02-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #53
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I didn't realize how much wider the sedans are than the coupes
codyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #54
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
They aren't, the M3's are wider and the fender flares sit out more. Hence, modifying the bumper brackets and pulling them in closer to the body on the sedans. I should have taken a pic yesterday to show you.

Pretty much if you mounted the brackets on the sedan in their original mounting points, the M3 rear sits about an inch out from the body on the sides and 1.25" short at where it meets the wheel well.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #55
AW330

Quote:
I think u are mistaken, the coupes are definitely wider than the sedan
Old 02-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #56
AW330

Quote:
They aren't, the M3's are wider and the fender flares sit out more. Hence, modifying the bumper brackets and pulling them in closer to the body on the sedans. I should have taken a pic yesterday to show you.

Pretty much if you mounted the brackets on the sedan in their original mounting points, the M3 rear sits about an inch out from the body on the sides and 1.25" short at where it meets the wheel well.
Yes can believe I didn't take a pic of that! :facepalm.

I actually think I'm gonna drill my shocks. Seems like a bunch of people do it on the e30s
Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #57
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW330 View Post
Yes can believe I didn't take a pic of that! :facepalm.

I actually think I'm gonna drill my shocks. Seems like a bunch of people do it on the e30s
I will take a pic for sh1ts and giggles the next time I work on it for "the thread" (going out of town this weekend, won't work on it again for a week or two.

I haven't done a lot of reading on it, but are they doing what I talked about earlier? bleeding the shock a little bit, compressing and then sealing back up?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #58
AW330

Quote:
I will take a pic for sh1ts and giggles the next time I work on it for "the thread" (going out of town this weekend, won't work on it again for a week or two.

I haven't done a lot of reading on it, but are they doing what I talked about earlier? bleeding the shock a little bit, compressing and then sealing back up?
Yep that's exactly what they are doing
Old 02-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #59
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

have you decided how you are going to do that? Are you going to drill into the actual shock then try to pound it in (with a hammer, off the car of course) ? Are you going to drill the plastic cap on the back side inside the shock?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #60
AW330

Quote:
have you decided how you are going to do that? Are you going to drill into the actual shock then try to pound it in (with a hammer, off the car of course) ? Are you going to drill the plastic cap on the back side inside the shock?
No havnt decided yet, still gotta do some more research on it. Every diy ive looked at they have drilled into the actual shock itself. So that may be have to do. But the shocks def need to be shortened the Mis alignment on the fenders is driving me nuts