E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #21
anhtu402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MIDWEST
Posts: 60
My Ride: 2002 BMW 325XI
What's TC fluid?

But don't you want to change the oil drain plug washer once in a while or is that just not necessary since you are not removing/installing it with an extractor?
anhtu402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #22
Juvat76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 24
My Ride: 2003 325xi AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhtu402 View Post
What's TC fluid?

But don't you want to change the oil drain plug washer once in a while or is that just not necessary since you are not removing/installing it with an extractor?
Well, TC=Transfer Case. I would like to every now and then, however at some point (pre-e46fanatic membership) an oil change place stripped my drain plug hole and an indy placed found this issue and offered to re-thread and use a larger bolt en lieu of replacing the entire oil pan. This past oil change I put a little liquid gasket on the existing plug and won't mess with it again until I replace the oil pan.
Juvat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #23
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,237
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvat76 View Post
Well, TC=Transfer Case. I would like to every now and then, however at some point (pre-e46fanatic membership) an oil change place stripped my drain plug hole and an indy placed found this issue and offered to re-thread and use a larger bolt en lieu of replacing the entire oil pan. This past oil change I put a little liquid gasket on the existing plug and won't mess with it again until I replace the oil pan.
Sounds like you are a good candidate for an oil extractor.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #24
silentguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 48
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330 Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhtu402 View Post
I'm planning to do all fluid maintenance on my 2002 325 XI.

These are my fluid plans, what are yours?

Transmission Oil : Redline MTL (70W80)
Transfer Xase: Redline MTL (70W80)
Differentials (front/rear): Redline 75W-90
Power Steering: ATF DIII
Engine Oil: Mobil 1 5w-30

Supposedly OEM Tranny/Differential fluid is Pentosin 75w-80 (http://www.autohausaz.com)

What do you think?

I went out to the dealership to see if I could get the OEM fluids, they said I would have to buy them in a bulk, when asked how much, they were unable to answer me. The local dealership is currently pissing me off, as I ordered some parts, pre-paid, then came and pick it up, they were unable to locate them.


I was planning on the following :

Transmission Oil : Redline MTL (70W80)
Transfer Case: Redline MTL (70W80)
Differentials (front/rear): Castrol Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90
Power Steering: ATF DIII
Engine Oil: Mobil 1 5w-30
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #25
silentguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 48
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330 Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
All the screws only need about 3/4 turn to tighten. Power tool might be bulky under there. The plastic rivets up front are the hardest part.

A small lithium ion battery screwdriver is very light non bulky, and great for lazy people like me.

Also not so much torque that you are going to strip any threads.
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #26
silentguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 48
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330 Xi
Originally Posted by anhtu402 View Post

Transmission Oil : Redline D4 ATF
Transfer Xase: Redline D4 ATF
Differentials (front/rear): Redline 75W-90
Power Steering: Redline D4 ATF
Engine Oil: German Castrol 0w-30, BMW, or Mobil 1 5w-40


Could I use Dexron III for the Transfer Case and Manual Transmission too, instead of Dexron IV ?
That's what I used for the Power Steering.

I have a case of the the Dexron III, but if that wont work, I will buy something else.

Last edited by silentguy; 02-23-2011 at 04:10 PM.
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #27
silentguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 48
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330 Xi
Ok, maybe this is a separate thread,
but you have me curious on the oil extractors.

What brand is recommended, and how much are they ?
What is their capacity ?

Manual pumping or electric ?

I've never heard of them before.

Not sure for 2 oil changes a year, if it's worth it for me.

Thanks.
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #28
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,288
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
Ok, maybe this is a separate thread,
but you have me curious on the oil extractors.

What brand is recommended, and how much are they ?
What is their capacity ?

Manual pumping or electric ?

I've never heard of them before.

Not sure for 2 oil changes a year, if it's worth it for me.

Thanks.
1.) Mityvac, about $70-$80
2.) Capacity varies, but you can get one that will easily hold the volume of oil in your car. You can also get one which both extracts and dispenses. Works well if you want to pump the oil or other fluids into another container. Can also get a brake bleeder attachment but I'm not sure how well that works.
3.) Manual Pump
4.) Cool, now you have.
5.) It's very worth it when it's -30F outside and you need to change your oil.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #29
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,288
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
I was planning on the following :

Transmission Oil : Redline MTL (70W80)
Transfer Case: Redline MTL (70W80)
Differentials (front/rear): Castrol Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90
Power Steering: ATF DIII
Engine Oil: Mobil 1 5w-30
FYI, Mobil 1 5w30 is NOT a recommended oil for your car. You need Mobil 1 0w40.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #30
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,976
My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
Originally Posted by anhtu402 View Post

Transmission Oil : Redline D4 ATF
Transfer Xase: Redline D4 ATF
Differentials (front/rear): Redline 75W-90
Power Steering: Redline D4 ATF
Engine Oil: German Castrol 0w-30, BMW, or Mobil 1 5w-40


Could I use Dexron III for the Transfer Case and Manual Transmission too, instead of Dexron IV ?
That's what I used for the Power Steering.

I have a case of the the Dexron III, but if that wont work, I will buy something else.
If the spec is gear oil, I wouldn't use an ATF in it's place.
__________________

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #31
silentguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 48
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330 Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
If the spec is gear oil, I wouldn't use an ATF in it's place.

Thanks Good point.

I assume the D4 recommendation was for the Automatic Transmission then.
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #32
silentguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 48
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330 Xi
http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/...he-suck-bucket

How about this to build your own oil extractor using a shop vac and a 5 gallon bucket.

I do have a shop vac lying around not doing much, maybe I will try this.
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #33
silentguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 48
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330 Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
FYI, Mobil 1 5w30 is NOT a recommended oil for your car. You need Mobil 1 0w40.

Yeah I know, my engine is going to blow up if I use 5W30,
and not the Euro Spec oil.



For a cheapie like me, I dont think it will make a diff. as I will be changing my oil every 6,000 miles or so, so wont need the 15,000 mile rating.

It probably makes a little diff to use 0w40, but even for Tribologist's, I am sure they wouldn't be able to tell.
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #34
silentguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 48
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330 Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/...he-suck-bucket

How about this to build your own oil extractor using a shop vac and a 5 gallon bucket.

I do have a shop vac lying around not doing much, maybe I will try this.


Here's a youtube of someone doing the shop vac oil extraction:


silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #35
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,237
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
FYI, Mobil 1 5w30 is NOT a recommended oil for your car. You need Mobil 1 0w40.
I agree. However, a VERY good tech from Turner Motorsports that I know uses Castrol 5w-30 in all his customers' cars that he does on the side. I had it in my car for about 5k miles with no problems. He acknowledges it's not "BMW approved" oil, but emphatically claims it is 110% fine for 5k mile oil change intervals. It's a business, not a hobby for him though.

I had 15w-50 in my engine for a few months last summer to cut down on lifter-tick when it got very hot out. Again, no problems.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #36
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,237
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
Thanks Good point.

I assume the D4 recommendation was for the Automatic Transmission then.
Whoa- I have no idea what oil to put in an AT. I would probably buy BMW oil for an AT.

Here is the blurb from Turner's website for driveline fluids:

Location Fill Quantity (quarts)
5-speed manual transmission (Red Line D4 ATF) 1.1 to 1.3
Transfer Case (RedLine D4 ATF) 0.16
Front Differential (Red Line 75/90) 0.74
Rear Differential (Red Line 75/90) 1.06

Redline D4 ATF is also good for the power steering fluid.

Some people prefer Redline MTL to Redline D4 ATF in their manual tranny because it's a little thicker. It's too thick for my gearbox, so I tried D4 ATF mixed 50/50 with MTL and it's still too thick.

Fluids for the xi should be straightforward. These are tried and true:

Oil: Castrol 0w30, BMW, or Mobile 0w-40 (7-8)
TC, MT, PS: Redline D4 ATF (4-5)
Diffs: Redline 75w-90 (2-3)
Coolant: BMW (1-2gal.)
Brake: ATE SuperBlue or any DOT 4 (1-2L)
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #37
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,976
My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Whoa- I have no idea what oil to put in an AT. I would probably buy BMW oil for an AT.

Here is the blurb from Turner's website for driveline fluids:

Location Fill Quantity (quarts)
5-speed manual transmission (Red Line D4 ATF) 1.1 to 1.3
Transfer Case (RedLine D4 ATF) 0.16
Front Differential (Red Line 75/90) 0.74
Rear Differential (Red Line 75/90) 1.06

Redline D4 ATF is also good for the power steering fluid.

Some people prefer Redline MTL to Redline D4 ATF in their manual tranny because it's a little thicker. It's too thick for my gearbox, so I tried D4 ATF mixed 50/50 with MTL and it's still too thick.

Fluids for the xi should be straightforward. These are tried and true:

Oil: Castrol 0w30, BMW, or Mobile 0w-40 (7-8)
TC, MT, PS: Redline D4 ATF (4-5)
Diffs: Redline 75w-90 (2-3)
Coolant: BMW (1-2gal.)
Brake: ATE SuperBlue or any DOT 4 (1-2L)
From my experience BMW dealer will only sell ATF in bulk, I think 20 liters or so.
There are 2 different types of ATF used in E46 AT's-There will be either a green label or yellow label on the AT pan. You must use the same type originally used.
__________________

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #38
silentguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 48
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330 Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
From my experience BMW dealer will only sell ATF in bulk, I think 20 liters or so.
There are 2 different types of ATF used in E46 AT's-There will be either a green label or yellow label on the AT pan. You must use the same type originally used.


Well sounds like there is not much difference between
ATF D3 and D4. (Dexron III and Dexron IV)

If they are recommending that D4 can be used in the manual transmission,
then there's not much difference between this ATF D4 and a gear oil.

I guess it would be good to have an oil analysis.

I'll probably use what is recommended in the Bentley's BMW manual.
Will go look it up.
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #39
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,976
My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Search around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by venzon View Post
According to the chart I'm reading, you have a GM trans A5S390R. Unfortunately, I cannot attached the document due to size limitations. I copied and pasted the relevant section below for you.

Table a. Automatic transmission applications
Model Year Transmission
323i/Ci 1999 - 2000 A5S360R (up to 03/00)
A5S325Z (from 03/00)
325i (M54) 2001 - 2005 A5S325Z (up to 03/02)
A5S390R (from 03/02)
325i (M56) 2003 - 2005 A5S325Z
325Ci 2001 - 2005 A5S325Z (up to 03/03)
A5S390R (from 03/03)
328i/Ci 1999 - 2000 A5S360R
330i/Ci 2001 - 2005 A5S325Z (up to 03/03)
A5S390R (from 03/03)
325xi 330xi 2001 - 2005 A5S390R

ATF fluid type labels
Orange . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dexron III
Yellow . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Texaco ETL 7045E
(BMW p/n 83 22 0 026 922)
Green . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Texaco ETL 8072B
(BMW p/n 83 22 0 024 359)
Blue . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Esso 71141 LT
(BMW p/n 83 2 29 407 807)
CAUTION
Only re-fill or top off using ATF fluid specified for the transmission.
Mixing or adding incorrect ATF fluids will lead to transmission
damage.
ATF specifications are subject to change and fluids are constantly
being improved and updated. Always check with an authorized
BMW dealer parts department for the latest
transmission operating fluids information.
__________________

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #40
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,237
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
From my experience BMW dealer will only sell ATF in bulk, I think 20 liters or so.
There are 2 different types of ATF used in E46 AT's-There will be either a green label or yellow label on the AT pan. You must use the same type originally used.
What about this:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

And this:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

I think you can buy smaller quantities . . .and you can always bring your own container to the dealer parts counter.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use