E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #221
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
So you drive like 30-50K miles a year? Or are just trying to be good to your car and change it every 3K miles?

If the latter, you're really being bad to your car...should change sometime after 7-8K miles and before 15K miles...though most, including me, would probably say around 10K is the most you want to run with it in...but the oil should be fine until the computer says to change at 15K.

Many who go to 15K, though, change filter half way through (though I don't think they need to).

Doug
Doug, as usual, thx for your words of wisdom. After reading BITOG.com there's no way I'd use 15w50!

IMHO what BITOG is saying is that 0w-20 is the optimum oil. However, I'll stick with what meets the BMW standard (GC 0w-30 in the winter and maybe M1 0w-40 in the summer if the GC isn't available).

/Dan
Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #222
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
GC and M1 0W40 are nearly the same viscosity at operating temperature.
M1 0W40 is a pretty thin 40W.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #223
Elwin

My Ride: 330i ZHP
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2069300&page=1
Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #224
wa6lie

My Ride: '04 M3 Carbon Black
Hello All,

I hate seeing bad information floating around about motor and gear oils. Carl has good information, but has not touched on "Oil Shear". This was one, if not the problem, with late E36 M3's and into early E46 S54 engines. The problem was bearing failure and there was a recall by BMW to replace bearings.
That is why the 10W-60 oil is used. BMW figures that by the time you are ready for an oil change, the oil has already sheared down to maybe 40 weight vs 60. Conventional group III oils shear very easy, especially in a high reving tight clearance engines like the S54.

I have done a lot of independent research on lubrication and came up with AMSOIL being the best group IV oil on the market (since 1972).

Do your own snooping around and see what you come up with, but I highly recommend that you read what Bob the Oil Guy has to say.
Another good place to search is The Engine Oil Bible. All is excellent reading and NOT sponsored by Castrol, Mobil1, AMSOIL etc.

The question is do you want what is BEST for your investment? If you have a cheap Chevy or something, use the bargain oil. I have been running AMSOIL products for years now, and "I" know from personal experience that AMSOIL is a superior group IV product. Group V oils are not considered oils, but rather additives to the oil, or aftermarket additives or conditioners.

I am using AMSOIL 10w-40 (AMO) in my E12 Bimmer which is ideal for high mileage flat tappet cams. Has the Zinc needed. I used to burn (not drip) about 1qt of oil every 1K miles. I installed an AMSOIL (BK21) oil bypass system. What this does is take samples of your oil and filters it down to about 1-5 microns and returns oil to the sump, thus "cleaning" the oil from contaminants such as carbon, fuel, water etc.. We all should know that dirty or contaminated oil can lead to premature wear. And here is the kicker.. Dirty oil is consumed faster than clean oil. I have had my by-pass installed for over 1K miles, and the oil level is still full. Now I don't add that 1qt every 1K miles! (boy, was I surprised, and happy!)

On my '04 M3, I am NOT using Castrol 10w-60 TWS oil, but AMSOIL's 15w-50 (RD50) racing oil.
Look at test results for "shear" and viscosity among popular oils and you will see what I mean. Some say that the VANOS does not like 50w oil, but that is all they have to say to back up anything. Everyone says the Castro TWS 10w-60 is the best, but the only group IV oil that can be used on the M cars. TRUE IF you are under factory warranty, I would stick with it. I am no longer under warranty, so I choose to use a better oil.
If Budweiser was the official beer of NASCAR, does that make BUD a better beer? BMW uses the "European" Castrol 10w-60 because it is a group IV oil, made in Germany, which is different from the American counterpart, (Group III). BMW had to find an oil that would not shear and cause bearing failures, thus no more 0w-30, 5w-30 etc. oils could be used especially under warranty.
Once you understand how oils work, then you will see what Carl and myself are talking about!

I was so impressed with all the AMSOIL products, I became a dealer. I call them "designer" oils because they formulate their oils for specific applications. Using PAO synthetic stock, the chemical bond of the oil is stronger and less prone to shear vs any conventional or group III oil.
AMSOIL is also the only oil manufacture that can claim as a 100% synthetic, because it is. All the others are FULL synthetics and not 100% because they have a mineral oil base stock to make their oils. (ie. crude oil)

So, if you are looking for a quality product (made in USA not imported crude oil base stock) do some more research for yourself. I have already done it and expressed my views here.

Scott
Salinas, Ca.
'04 M3
'81 E12
wa6lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #225
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Internet bob does not impress. Besides, when it comes to oil engineering and reseach capability, my money is on BMW. Internet bob and his little circus are irrelevant.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 03-03-2011 at 05:31 PM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #226
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
I was so impressed with all the AMSOIL products, I became a dealer.
You lost me. Anyone plugging Amsoil, Royal Purple, some miracle lubricant, or any other oil not OEM, had best have a credible argument backed by independent, hard data and the blessings of the manufacturer. Being a dealer of the stuff makes your credibility, and heartfelt recommendation, quite suspect as far as I'm concerned. But... good luck to you! Especially posting oil-related advice here, you might as well try to discuss religion, politics, or child-rearing theories...
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #227
wa6lie

Boogety boogety Goingnuts here.
Sounds like the start of a NASCAR race.

To each his own.
I agree that BMW knows what is best for their engines.
Getting an oil BMW certified takes a lot of $$$, which the big oil manufactures have. Seen the price of gas recently? I also know from personal experience that the product I prefer, saves money on fuel and will last LONGER than the OEM stuff BMW recommends. Under independent lab testing, I choose to use the oil that is best. There are a lot of racing teams that use basically all the big oil company products for endorsements. This is a "political" issue, as in government kick backs. Once you get over all that, you are left in confusion wondering what to use.

In my case, the decision is easy to go with AMSOIL, as it meets or exceeds the manufactures specifications.
BTW, the RD50 15w-50 is a "thick" oil, closer to 60w.

Have a nice day!

Scott
Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #228
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa6lie View Post
I also know from personal experience that the product I prefer, saves money on fuel and will last LONGER than the OEM stuff BMW recommends.
My BMW recommended oil lasts 30k miles or 2.5 years whichever comes first. Are you willing to categorically state your Amsoil oil will out last mine ?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #229
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
My BMW recommended oil lasts 30k miles or 2.5 years whichever comes first. Are you willing to categorically state your Amsoil oil will out last mine ?
BMW also recommends that I defecate on your face every 15,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #230
wa6lie

Quote:
You have to be an idiot if you believe that!
Basic rule is 7500 miles or 1 year on oil.

Quote:
BMW also recommends that I defecate on your face every 15,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.

Defecation means you have dirty oil or need to see a doctor if you can't control your crap!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #231
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post

You're such a wealth of knowledge, Miles! Is this really a bmw recommendation, or just something of which it approves?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #232
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa6lie View Post
You have to be an idiot if you believe that!
Basic rule is 7500 miles or 1 year on oil.
That tells me all I need to know. The sh*t Amsoil, for which you are a dealer, can only do 7.5k or 1 year. It does not even match basic BMW oil recommendation.

I do use my oil for 30k or 2.5 years, which ever comes first. Now state for the record what you think will happen to my engine. I will verify your claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
You should defecate in your van. It's big enough for you to build in the facilities.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 03-04-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #233
elitewolverine

My Ride: 02' M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
not wanting to revive a old thread, but i had too

yes it probably will...synthetics last a ton longer than traditional oils. I remember when synthetics first came out they would label the bottles, 15k oil changes on them...

Fact of the matter is, the reason why bmw can allow 30k intervals is partially in how the motor works and better filtration not just the oil...

and since you have a 30k interval it leads me to believe you have a newer bmw say a e90?

by your standard, i can walk into bmw, buy their 5w-30, go get a motorcraft $2.99 filter, throw it in my oh i dont know f150 and go 30k miles...ummm i would think not. Even if its the exact same oil you use in your bmw.

Amsoil actually has things in their oil that the are the same things that 'european' oils have...that is high levels of phosphorous 1000ppm+. Amsoil doesnt have their stuff rated, at least in racing applications, because they dont want to pay the $300,000-500,000 fee associated with registering their oil formulas to api etc, nor do they want to pay that same fee for everytime they change the formula. Which in the racing industry can happen 2-3times a year.

Bascially amsoil, doesnt have the millions to throw around like shell or castrol or exxon.

You want to know if your oil is good enough or if amsoil is good enough. Lab tests show that they are just as good or better than the stuff you shove into your bmw...
elitewolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #234
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
GoingNuts needs to be added to a global ignore list.

Seriously, just don't pay attention to him.

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #235
marcsilva

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Castrol Edge 0W-40 vs. Mobil 1 0W-40

Cary1,

In 2013, Castrol introduced "Castrol Edge 0W-40." They probably did this to compete with "Mobil 1 0W-40." Both seem to have nearly identical sets of certifications including BMW LL-01.

They are both available in 5 qt jugs at Walmart, Castrol for $25.17 and Mobil for $22.66 ($2.50 cheaper):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Edge-Synte...Quart/35931146

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W...Quart/23636902

The Castrol has the "Made in Germany" indication on the back. Not many people on the web have talked about about it though as it is new. Castrol has always seemed to be recommended by BMW, probably because it is also made in Germany. Machinery made in Germany is typically the best.

I have been using Mobil 1 0W-40 for years now, should I switch to this new Castrol Edge 0W-40?

My vehicle: 2002 BMW 325i with 115K miles(North America). Also to note is that I never accelerate / decelerate hard. I don't rev above 2,100 RPM unless in top gear on the highway, and then it is never above 2,600 RPM tops (75 MPH tops)._nr_
marcsilva is offline   Reply With Quote