E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
DanM

My Ride: 330ci
Control Arms

Was told $1,100 to replace control arms (inclu ball joints) and bushings on 2003 330ci. Does this seem high, was told the parts cost $800... I trust my mechanic, I'm thinking he might have gotten ripped off on the parts...
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
Yes, very high.

Log onto bimmreworld's site. Pickup the parts for ~$300ish, then drive to PA and I'll install them for another $150ish. I'll even change out your rear shock mounts for ya and check your rear trailing arm bushings.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Redryan98

My Ride: 07 Legacy GT 5MT
You can buy them online for half that. make sure to get some control arm bushings while the arms are being replaced. Also make sure to budget an alignment (not sure if your quote included that as well).

My suggestion (if you intend to keep everything mostly stock)
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

I just ordered and everything looks great. Kit somes with new controls, as well as four brand new shocks, Front sway bar, and assorted hardware. You could basically replace the entire suspension, or just use control arms and sell the rest.
Redryan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Redryan98

My Ride: 07 Legacy GT 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Yes, very high.

Log onto bimmreworld's site. Pickup the parts for ~$300ish, then drive to PA and I'll install them for another $150ish. I'll even change out your rear shock mounts for ya and check your rear trailing arm bushings.
Depending where in MA he is, that would be at least 600 miles round trip. Its prob going to cost him at least $100 in gas. His shop was charging $300 and so why not just have them do it?

Last edited by Redryan98; 03-04-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Redryan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
DanM

Can you do just the bushings or do you need to the control arms too.... One of those jobs i don't have the tools for....
Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
DanM

mechanic is personal friend, i think he's getting taken on the parts.... he only was charging $200 labor which also included changing brake rotors
Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
jerseyfresh

My Ride: is schwartzed out
You can pick up a full set of Meyle HD aluminum control arms with bushings, for around $350.
Order a set, and have your indy install them...
^^^Directed @Kpeng^^^
jerseyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
beef1020

My Ride: 00 323i
OEM these can get very expensive. Meyle arms including ball joints will run you $150 apiece, and the two bushings will run another $80, so good aftermarket parts should be in around $400. If he is ok with you bringing parts then pick some up at one of the site sponors:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330.../OEM/ES205226/

On that site the OEM are selling for 260 a piece, not including the other bushings, so I would imagine OEM parts could easily push $600 before a markup...

200 in labor sounds decent, just remember that mechanics often charge low labor rates but high markups on parts, two sides of the same balloon.
beef1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
www.bmaparts.com

'nuf said. EC$Tuning is priced higher on lots of stuff though they do have good pics and good selection

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
DanM

www.eeuroparts.com seems to have good pricing on the parts too, thanks everyone for feedback
Old 03-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
mechanic is personal friend, i think he's getting taken on the parts.... he only was charging $200 labor which also included changing brake rotors
I'm sure he's a good friend, not doubting that. But in my experience shops make profit on labor and some mark-up on parts. Easier to sell to the client that way. "I'm only charging you $200 in labor, you know..".

Other than that the guys are right. My last job of ZHP Control Arms, Lemfoerder Bushings and M3 Engine Mounts to boot only cost ~$600.

Unfortunately you are stuck because you don't have the tools. Either you find another shop (which is easier said than done for various reasons), or you take the time to look into this as a DIY. Even with the investment in tools, it's still cheaper.

Paolo

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
beef1020

My Ride: 00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
www.bmaparts.com

'nuf said. EC$Tuning is priced higher on lots of stuff though they do have good pics and good selection
Just wondering where the control arms are, I found these on the bmaparts website:

http://www.bmaparts.com/ShopByVehicl...%20Set&mode=PA

They are 373 versus the 350 at ecstuning. I am all in favor of buying on price, but I don't see where bma is cheaper.
beef1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bushings, control arms, suspension