E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
BMW Drift Thread

I was hoping to get a thread going for those of us interested in drifting. Where we can discuss drift set ups, techniques , events, etc.

With that said, I'm looking to do my first drift event next month, and if all goes well, I think an LSD upgrade will be in the near future.

But for now any tips for a first timer?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Uhhh . . .LSD first, DK.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=300
Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
acpstunts

Just thought I'd getting something started on here
Old 03-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
I've done 3 events so far. Being an HPDE kind of guy it wasn't a huge transition, but it was definitely different. I don't know what type of layout your event will have, but it's going to be hard not to fail with an open diff unless it's very low speed stuff. I'm using a welded 3.46 and it's been working very well so far.

What suspension setup are you running? Lower and stiffer is better, especially for that open diff. Since you can't power over or clutch kick it to initiate the slide, you're going to have to carry a lot of speed on entry and you'll have to flick it to get the rear end out with momentum. If you have absolutely no drift experience I'd suggest you start slow and get used to how the car feels sideways for extended periods of time.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
^You welded your diff? Driving that thing on the daily must be a bitch!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Activ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
^You welded your diff? Driving that thing on the daily must be a bitch!
Yeah dude, it kind of sucks in parking lots. Everyone stares at me while the car hops around corners lol It's so worth it though. I can't afford to do a lot of the DE's I want to, but a full day of drifting is only $40.

I didn't weld mine, I traded a used PS pump to a local for his welded 3.46.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
Activ3 I love your car man.

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Activ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalM View Post
Activ3 I love your car man.
I like yours a lot too, reminds me of my car before I beat the **** out of it lol

Old 03-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
SalM

Hahah Thanks man. Even with the beating she looks great. What did you do with your headlights in your sig? You just painted the bowls and the shrouds?

SalMPhotography
Old 03-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Activ3

Yeah two years ago on the way home from 4ngiefest in Atlanta we stopped at the Summit Racing store and I got some "gold anodized look" spray made by VHT. Everyone always just sprayed the bowls, but I went for the shrouds as well to try and get that e30 look lol

Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
SalM

Lol Looks reall good man!

SalMPhotography
Old 03-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
acpstunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
I've done 3 events so far. Being an HPDE kind of guy it wasn't a huge transition, but it was definitely different. I don't know what type of layout your event will have, but it's going to be hard not to fail with an open diff unless it's very low speed stuff. I'm using a welded 3.46 and it's been working very well so far.

What suspension setup are you running? Lower and stiffer is better, especially for that open diff. Since you can't power over or clutch kick it to initiate the slide, you're going to have to carry a lot of speed on entry and you'll have to flick it to get the rear end out with momentum. If you have absolutely no drift experience I'd suggest you start slow and get used to how the car feels sideways for extended periods of time.
So over the past weeks Ive been doing my research. I spoke too Ray at Kaaz LSD's and will be ordering a 1.5way kaaz along with a 3.46 diff.

As far as my suspension setup goes now Im running BC coils/camber plates (8kg/10kg), all new front control arms w/ melye bushing, Velocity rear adjustable control arms. Im ordering hotchks Sways this week as well

Now do you currently have your subframe reinforced? Im a little worried about that and considering getting the turner reinforcement kit.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
Activ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by acpstunts View Post
So over the past weeks Ive been doing my research. I spoke too Ray at Kaaz LSD's and will be ordering a 1.5way kaaz along with a 3.46 diff.

As far as my suspension setup goes now Im running BC coils/camber plates (8kg/10kg), all new front control arms w/ melye bushing, Velocity rear adjustable control arms. Im ordering hotchks Sways this week as well

Now do you currently have your subframe reinforced? Im a little worried about that and considering getting the turner reinforcement kit.
Yeah you definitely need to get that TMS kit. I'd be surprised if you made it through an event without tearing the subframe out. Good call on the LSD!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
acpstunts

Do you have the subframe reinforcement kit? How much did it run you for the install?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #16
Activ3

Quote:
Do you have the subframe reinforcement kit? How much did it run you for the install?
I do have a custom reinforcement kit that was done by AA a long time ago. It's not the same as the modern TMS kits so it was a bit more expensive. The shop I work with now does the TMS kit with install and powerflex subframe/rtab bushings for $1200.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
nocab72

My Ride: '03 E46 M3
Quote:

Consider getting the subframe kit welded in at the same time the diff goes in, it will save you a lot of labor.

Kyle
Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #18
acpstunts

Yea thats the plan!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #19
jstrobs21

My Ride: 330i
Mmmmm.... I like this thread! Fellow drifter here.. Just swapped diffs recently. Put a welded 3.38 in so I wouldn't have to mess with the input shaft.. (6-bolt 330i, ugh) So far so good. driven plenty of welded diffs before so it really doesn't bother me. Like Activ3 said, it's really only noticible in parking lots. I'm from TN, anyone other drifters on here in or around TN? If so I'll send over my drift organization's schedule!! We're a real fun laid-back group. I'm pretty new to this forum and BMW's in general, so I'm looking forward to some nice info-sharing.
jstrobs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
acpstunts

Nice! Welcome