E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #201
SuperYeti

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325ci
1 other thing

i should also point out, that while its a royal pain in the ass, you MUST make sure you snug the under brace bolts, then drop the car, THEN tighten with full sag on the car. if you dont do this, is a good chance why some people are experiencing issues at higher speeds. i followed all these steps and its driving like a dream. Hey i was reading in my haynes, that you should only use the brace bolts once. how bad is it if i used em again, should i be changing those ASAP? Cheers
SuperYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #202
norwegianm3

My Ride: E46 M3
Fantastic post, this will help out a lot as I prepare to tear into the 323 next weekend. Thanks to all!
norwegianm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #203
lulubboy

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
I;m about to do this tomorrow at a DIY garage... all I want to do is change my bushings. I got a meyle HD bushing kit.

Do I need to take off the entire arm for this? or can I manage with just the bushings unbolted....?

I was planning to just unbolt the bushing kit and then removed using the 3 prong puller/ c clamp....

would this work???
Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #204
ruckus323

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
@ SuperYeti - generally speaking, if you see a torque procedure that utilizes a torque + angle procedure, then you are tensioning the bolt close to yield strength and should replace them. Once you get close to the yield point of the material you become close to plastic deformation and an offset stress/strain relationship. With the tolerance of the bolt neck diameter and torque procedures that rely on dudes under their cars watching 45 and 90 degree angles... there will be variation.

I don't know the grade of these bolts nor the size (I'm doing mine next weekend) so I cannot tell you if these are indeed torque-to-yield for sure.

Having said my anal OEM peace you are probably okay. If you are concerned... jack your car up, clean off the bolt and paint pen stripe from the center of bolt head down to bracket. Wait a week or after a hard driving session and then check the paint stripe. If it is still in one line then the bolt has not moved and you should be fine. However, if the paint line shows the bolt has moved... then you've lost clamp due to under-torque or loss of clamp. Replace bolts and follow proper torque procedure.
-=-=-= 2000 BMW 323i (E46) Blk/Tan =-=-=-
ruckus323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #205
imdbui

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
great write up! Thank you!

Just finished mine in about 2hrs. Most of the time was figuring out how I was going to lift my car with 1 jack, 1 missing jack pad, and rhinoramps. Used rhino ramps up front to get under the car, then unbolted one side and jacked that side wheel off the ramp just enough to move freely. After replacing one side I moved to the other side and did the same thing. Didn't have to take off the wheels. Used some dish soap/water to lube it a bit, but just used my hands to wiggle the Meyle HD bushing on (which came in carriers and had new bolts). I tried hammering it with a mallet but it wasn't too effective. Now time for a test drive

I feel so accomplished!
imdbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #206
R1200RT

My Ride: 2004 330CIC
Completed my Meyle FCAB replacement today. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have a 3-arm puller, but ended up using a 3" C-clamp. I sprayed a little WD40 around the old rubber bushing and placed a small socket at the end of the arm as a spacer. Tightening the clamp slowly and alternating sides of the bushing, I was able to pull off both of the old CAB's intact.

Cleaned up the arms with some fine steel wool and coated everything with dish detergent. Lined up the new bushing and I was able to install them by pounding them with the palm of my hand.

'04 330CIC, 3 pedals, M Sports\Aerodynamics Packages
'05 BMW R1200RT
'00 BMW R1100S
'04 BMW R1200C Montauk
'95 BMW R100R Classic
R1200RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #207
Shalaylea

My Ride: 2005 3301 zhp
Did my FCAB using this method this past weekend on my 2005 330 ZHP. Couple items of note. The C-Clamp method worked for me. Also, my model had different looking subframe brace with more bolts to remove. I think there were 8 in all. All of the bolts were 5/8 inch (16mm). On my ZHP, you could clearly see where the BMW tech rounded some of subframe bolts by driving them in with an impact. Be careful the bolts are at odd angles which is why I think they were rounded. Soap worked getting on the OEM bushing/carriers I bought.

Here's a thought. What do I do with my old carriers? Keep 'em and press in bushings for next time?
Shalaylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #208
My Wifes 330i

My Ride: White 330i, Outback
Great write up. Gave me all the info I needed to tackle this myself. I used a two jaw puller to remove the carrier and the main part of the bushing and then again to remove the rest. Cleaned the shaft really well with a plastic brillow pad and then lubed the Meyle HD with dishsoap as well as the shaft. This worked slick as snot, as the expression goes. It couldn't have gone any easier. It took about 5 min from remove to install. A big thanks.

On a side note: I went to the dealer to get the 8 new bolts to replace the ones on the reinforcement plate and the parts guy said that it will take about 2 days to come in. I said I thought they would have had them in stock since the FCAB are such a popular item. He said they have never had that bolt. He even check the part # which he said would tell him when the last one was ordered and he stated never. Thinking he didn't understand what I was talking about he ask the tech. that was there and he stated they are 100% reusable.

Last edited by My Wifes 330i; 11-05-2010 at 04:13 PM.
My Wifes 330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #209
Arustik1

hey guys im kinda stuck all this residue from the old bushing is caked onto the control arm. I tried burning it off but it didnt really work. any suggestions?

-D
Old 11-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #210
Arustik1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arustik1 View Post
hey guys im kinda stuck all this residue from the old bushing is caked onto the control arm. I tried burning it off but it didnt really work. any suggestions?

-D
So cleaned that off ... Now I cant bolt the bracket back up to the car.

What am I missing here? Is it not properly seated on the CA?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bushing1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	385099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bushing2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	385100  
Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #211
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
^looks like you need to hammer the bushing/carrier further down on the CA. I could be wrong though b/c i've never done m3 fcabs.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #212
Arustik1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
^looks like you need to hammer the bushing/carrier further down on the CA. I could be wrong though b/c i've never done m3 fcabs.
Thanks for the reply. I tried hammering with all I got and I'm not exactly a small guy either 6'3" - 200 lbs ... I'm starting to doubt the fitment, or maybe a wrong part??
Old 12-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #213
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Are we supposed to grease around the carrier inner and around the hex peg on the control arm itself?
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #214
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
I have access to a 2 ton press. Will this make it easier to remove and replace the FCAB's? And do you need a special tool to remove and replace the RCAB?

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #215
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
Bumping an old thread here but did everyone reuse the bolts?

I remember reading that they need to be replaced but I don't know the part number for them.
MrWesson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #216
NoVaDreier

My Ride: 2001 325i
The TIS says the reinforcement plate bolts (31 10 6 772 199) should be replaced.
NoVaDreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #217
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaDreier View Post
The TIS says the reinforcement plate bolts (31 10 6 772 199) should be replaced.
Of course they are out of stock at pelican parts
MrWesson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #218
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
Really??? Why???

That plate is pretty flimsy, I can't fathom why it would have torque-to-yield bolts.

Of course I am going to take the engineer's word for it, but I am wondering why that plate needs bolts of an integrity that is normally reserved for pieces like a cylinder head.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:10 AM   #219
ffkk

My Ride: 2000 328i
Question

so I read thro the entire thread to figure out if I should import these bushes which according to my importer should last 9 times longer than oem ones. I also spoke to a reputable tuner and he does not fit them because he felt ride comfort is significantly reduced for a daily driver.any thoughts about this from you guys using them? I plan on doing long trips on pretty bad roads for some time to come.I am also considering replacing the struts with oem or other to handle the bad roads better.

Last edited by ffkk; 03-16-2011 at 03:11 AM.
ffkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #220
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffkk View Post
so I read thro the entire thread to figure out if I should import these bushes which according to my importer should last 9 times longer than oem ones. I also spoke to a reputable tuner and he does not fit them because he felt ride comfort is significantly reduced for a daily driver.any thoughts about this from you guys using them? I plan on doing long trips on pretty bad roads for some time to come.I am also considering replacing the struts with oem or other to handle the bad roads better.
That's a bunch of crap. The only harshness that you might slightly feel is throught the steering wheel, but it's only a little. If you get the OEM oil filled bushings then they won't last at all on those harsh roads.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote