E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
shahbaz99

My Ride: Clean 330ci
My 330ci is being very weird

When my car sits for awhile and i get in and drive its ok. But after 5 min, the fog light and door open part of the cluster turns off. my signals work but it doesnt show up on the cluster when im signaling. the doors just lock themselves. the deck says "disabled". and then when i stop and get out, my remote wont lock or unlock the doors. eventually it locks but when it finally works, the lights dont flash anymore. does anybody have any idea what this could be?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Bordia

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Sounds like it could be a network problem or more. I would take it to a dealership for diagnosis.
Bordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
shahbaz99

Well its gotten even worse. The signals dont work at all anymore. The headlights are just on all the time once key is put in. The headlight switch does nothing and all the dash lights inside are completely off. Call has lost %70 of functionality in 2 days! Wtf is going on with this stupid car?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
did you try unplugging your battery for like 30 minutes to see if that helped? supposedly that "resets" the computer
Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
did you try unplugging your battery for like 30 minutes to see if that helped? supposedly that "resets" the computer
+1

My old audi did similar stupid #*#*. Whenever I floored the car, the guages would all drop to zero, trip meter would reset, and clock would reset(super annoying). And, on rare occasions, all dash lights would stay on(and I do mean all, every single light bulb in the vehicle), and the guages would all slooowly start to creep up until they all pegged themselves. For this latter problem, the ONLY way to get the car back "right" again, was to unplug the battery for 30 minutes. I hated this problem....lol

edit: other than that, it sounds like a body ecu(if these cars are so equipped). I know on sienna's and sequoias when they start doing this stupid crap its almost always the body ecu(controls lights, locks, windows etc). There should be a way for a dealer or indy to pull codes out of the system.

Last edited by Bavaryan; 03-13-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Bavaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Black_BMW

My Ride: e46 2002 facelift
Yes your best bet and first aid is to unplug your battery and see if it helps. If it doesn't then there must be a short somewhere in your system..
Black_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
garmcqui

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i Saloon
Possibly a fault with the LCM? But I suppose ghat wouldn't explain the not locking etc.

Code reading is probably the only answer...
garmcqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
Sankekur

My Ride: 2004 330i
I am also thinking a possible problem with the LCM, but having the codes read would probably yield more info.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
My random guess is check fuses and check battery. I didn't read that you tested the battery...the first place you start, imho, for anything electric.

Disconnecting is a good start and measure voltage off and on and report back...it may be you just need a long drive to charge up a very low battery, which might be real low for a long time and because of that, the alternator is getting tired also...start with electrical basics and work up and out from there.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
ramtin325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_BMW View Post
Yes your best bet and first aid is to unplug your battery and see if it helps. If it doesn't then there must be a short somewhere in your system..
Best answer of all
Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #11
shahbaz99

Thanks for the replies. Ive already tried unplugging the battery. Didnt work. The weather today was nice and the car was fine the whole day. It seems to get worse if its wet or cold. I got my car tinted a few weeks ago and the guy said that he had to remove weather stripping. Could they have not been put back correctly and cause a short somewhere? I will also check all my fuses. My battery also still says bmw on it, it might be the original battery for 10 years now.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
shahbaz99

Btw. Interior lights and headlights work correctly again. Its just the original problems that keep coming and going.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #13
Bordia

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Same answer as before take it to a dealer to be diagnosed. Any thing from
That is just throughing money and time at guesses.
Bordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:41 AM   #14
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
Get a battery cheapass....LOL
Old 03-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #15
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
battery production date (week / year) will be on the negative terminal.

Check your battery voltage. Could also be your alt or vreg.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #16
shahbaz99

today the car was fine all day. it just wont lock or unlock with the remote. i will check every single fuse, check my relay box for moisture, check the production date of my battery, and finally take it to rmp for diagnostics. European cars are soo wicked yet at the same time they SUCK! Worst part is that im gonna keep buying them, they're just too damn nice.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:09 AM   #17
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
E46 and newer beemers all have these electronic problems.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:59 AM   #18
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTorqueMade View Post
Get a battery cheapass....LOL
need new battery

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
shahbaz99

I just wanted to clarify what the issue was. A few weeks after my last post, i realized that when I put in the new battery in my key, it was the wrong kind and not rechargeable either. I guess the car was having issues reading the key and it thought it was being stolen with a fake key. thats why it was acting weird. I put in the correct battery in my key (Panasonic VL2020) and have never had this issue since. I guess the car was doing its job and I was the issue LOL.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #20
FastCHAZ

My Ride: 02 325ci
mean while im still having this problem after an alternator change. i purchased a batter just last september everythings reading perfectly just my clusters trippin out it works toatally fine. i can hwever see my blinkers. but y foglights work but not the green light. or the headlights. my mileage works but the trip resets itself everytime i start it. i cannot see the clock, or mpg or any of that stuff. my gas, mph, rpm, temp works normally. sept the stay where they are when i turn off the car. wheni start it the siez 1t then go up 2 seconds later what could it be?