E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #41
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The difference is basically just in the name and the forearm accessories. DD uses barrels with extended feed ramps, and their upper receivers are A4/M4 uppers, meaning that they also have extended M4 feed ramps cut in. This is good for reliability. The VX is just a bare-bones rifle that looks like a basic M4, whereas the M4V2 has better furniture like the Magpul MOE stock and the Omega X rail. Just different looks, really. Same great receiver, BCG and internals, same great CHF barrel.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #42
AMCINK

My Ride: 2000 323CI
Ok I'm getting close to my decision and I have a last question which DD M4 will be best for the moneyr (i'm looking for the best features for the money, light weight and as short as possible) M4V2 LW, M4V4 LW 0r M4V5 LWand what is the difference between a carbine lenght and mid lenght rifle

Last edited by AMCINK; 03-16-2011 at 11:37 PM.
AMCINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #43
Reedo302

The V2 has a fixed A2 front sight post gas block with a shorter railed forearm.
The V4 uses a low profile pinned gas block that sits underneath a longer railed forearm. They then use a removable clamp-on front sight post.
If you plan on running any type of magnified optic, go with the V4 and you can remove the front sight post and rear sight post and have a full flattop. OR, go with the flip-up sight version.

The midlength gas system is 2" longer than the carbine system, making it a little more reliable because it slows down the timing of the gas system and reduces bolt speeds. The recoil pulse is more smooth and less of a "pop". I would recommend midlength for many shooters, as it is an excellent option for having a longer rail with smooth recoil.
I have shorter arms and a very large chest, so for me and the way I shoot, and carbine length gas system is a better fit due to how I hold my rifle. My ideal DD is the Mk18, but non-NFA, it's the M4V1 with the extra real estate in front of the FSP for mounting a light.

As far as lightweight (LW) barrels, there are pros and cons. The pro is of course that they're lighter. You only shave off about 5oz of weight, but as it's often said, "ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain".
LW barrels have a couple downsides. The downside of having less weight is that you have more recoil effect on the gun, requiring you to employ more force and technique to drive the gun and control it. Another issue is that you are dealing with a thinner barrel that is less rigid and less resistant to heat. The barrel will heat up faster, and barrel life is much less than a standard barrel. CHF barrels have a better barrel life as it is, but you'll still have a lower service life (though not as low as a cut-rifled barrel). The problem is that if you start getting aggressive with the gun and you heat it up, the barrel's accuracy will start to deviate and your groups are going to open up due to the heat. Your accuracy will continue to suffer as long as the barrel remains hot.

If you just plan on plinking and target shooting, and your normal range trip is only 90-120rds, and you shoot less than 2,000rds per year, the LW barrels are great options. If, however, an average range trip is 250+rds and you consistently heat your gun up hot enough to evaporate water on contact or create a 2nd degree burn immediately, and your annual round count is pretty high, then you need to go with the standard CHF barrel.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #44
AMCINK

My choice - -https://danieldefense.com/rifles/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v5-fixed-sights.html since i did find the one with the MK18 rail please any comment before I order this weekend - who sales the MK18

Last edited by AMCINK; 03-17-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #45
Reedo302

Good call on the midlength gas system. I think you'll like it.
The Mk18 isn't currently being sold as a whole right now. DD suspended commercial sales indefinitely while they catch up with SOCOM orders. They sell the individual rail, barrel and low-pro gas block separately, though. However, you would need to go through the NFA process for the rifle since it's a 10.3" barrel. (My current build is essentially a Mk18 variant, but I went to an 11.5" barrel for practicality reasons.)

Glock Armorer

Old 03-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #46
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCINK View Post
Thanks for the recommendations but I'm not US Military and will have to go through the hassle here in California
Any recommendation what to write or not write on the application?
There is no application if you buy a rifle that is ca compliant. There is an application to register a "dangerous weapon" (short barreled) or "assault weapon" (evil features, select fire) but unless you are LE, Mil, or a registered class 3 dealer, you need not bother, ca will not approve the request.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #47
AMCINK

Reedo
What would be a model comparable to my DD choice on the following manufacture Knights and Noveske; and your input on these new manufacture in comparison with the DD
Thanks in advance

Last edited by AMCINK; 03-18-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #48
AMCINK

Reedo
Do you have any information on the questions above
Thank you
Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #49
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCINK View Post
Reedo
What would be a model comparable to my DD choice on the following manufacture Knights and Noveske; and your input on these new manufacture in comparison with the DD
Thanks in advance
The SR15 is basically just one model, and the only model that KAC offers. They're not a huge civilian/commercial sales company when it comes to full rifles. They make good 5.56mm rifles, but there are a lot of troops that seem to be unhappy with the reliability of the M110 (Army), Mk11Mod0(Navy/Marines) and SR25(USAF) rifles. They really only offer something like 2 or 3 rifles commercially. The standard 16" SR15 is a nice rifle, and the price varies between $1900 and $2200. It's a good rifle, and I do think it's worth the money. Probably the only rifle they offer that is reasonably priced.
http://knightarmco.com/sr15.html

Noveske Rifleworks is a superior company, and one of the Top 3 AR companies out there, IMO. You will pay for the Noveskes. Their biggest selling point is their barrels. They offer their rifles with two different barrels: Chrome-lined cold hammer forged, and their stainless heavy match barrels. The CHF barrels are heavyweight ordnance grade steel made to the specs of M249 machine gun barrels along with the thicker chrome lining, meaning that can take serious abuse and have a significantly longer barrel life.
The 16" Light Recce, Lo-Pro rifle is the closest to the DD V5 you wanted. It's $2135.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...ay.cgi?cat=138

The SS Match barrels are Noveske's signature barrels, and these suckers can produce sub-MOA accuracy with match grade ammunition. They can withstand some serious abuse, too. However, they are thicker and much heavier than conventional barrels, as well as Noveske's CHF barrels. The rifles will range from $1615 for the 16" Rogue Hunter to $2460 for the 16" Recon w/ VIS.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...ay.cgi?cat=123

Noveske rifles are match and hunting rifles, but they are definitely combat capable without question. You are primarily paying a premium for the barrels, but there is some in there for the rails and accessories on them.
Aside from accuracy, they don't give you anything else over the DD rifles.

Going back to your Mk18 question, were you referring to the actual Mk18, or just the rail? Because if you want just the rail, RainierArms.com stocks them and is one of the biggest DD dealers. They are also cheaper than DD.
http://www.rainierarms.com/

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 03-21-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #50
AMCINK

Thanks - like always so detail and so helpful and key for my decision
Ranier is out of stock of the DDM4V5 and I requested them to let me know as soon as possible when it is back in stock
Old 05-01-2011, 05:10 AM   #51
clint999

My Ride: SLK 230
All
I like the AR pistol size (like a small/short rifle) and not the regular pistol size. The general use is for some fun/sport shooting and home security nothing specific. I also found the Franklin Armory (I read more about the Olympics and found bad reviews).

Franklin Armory AAR 15-Pistol specs below

Barrel:

Chambered in 5.56 NATO - safe for use with .223 Remington

Special order: 45ACP, 10mm, 40 S&W, & 9mm

Chrome Lined Chamber and Bore – Provides better extraction and durability

10.5” or 7.5” Barrel Configurations

4140 Chrome Moly Steel Construction

1/9-Inch Twist – Stabilizes the greatest variety of bullet weights

Parkerized

CAR Handguard (10.5” Configuration)

Free Floating Aluminum Handguard (7.5” Configuration)

Front Sight Gas Block with Integral Bayonet Lug and Front Sling Swivel

A2 Flash Hider

Upper Receiver:

A3 Flat Top

Forged 7075-T6 Aluminum

Hard Coat Type III Anodized Black

Full Picattiny Rail – Optics Ready

Forward Assist

Lower Receiver:

Forged 7075-T6 Aluminum

Hard Coat Type III Anodized Black

Specialized Tension Screw - Eliminates Upper/Lower Play

Bullet Button™ Magazine Release

Magazine Blocked off with a Derlin Plug.

Additional Features:

Certified Cable Lock, California Safety Manual, & Mil-Spec upper/lower components

Weight:5.2 Pounds (7.5” Barrel) / 5.8 Pounds (10.5” Barrel)

Length:23.5” (7.5” Barrel) / 26.6” (10.5” Barrel