E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
HELP: Driver door audio dead

I have no audio coming out of my driver's door. I left it one afternoon for a couple hours at the body shop to align my door driver's door and I get the car back w no audio out of it and I can't figure out why. All they did was loosen the hinges and work with it like that. To my knowledge they didn't touch anything beyond that. I only mention this because everything was fine since I got the car back months ago and even that same morning on the way to the shop I had no problems with audio, never any hint that something was wrong.

Here's what I've done as far as trouble shooting goes:

-Swapped door cards to see if speakers worked. Plugged driver's door card into passenger side and it worked fine. Plugged Passenger door card into driver's side = no sound.

-Plugged a functioning amp from another vert into mine with the same result. Still nothing out of my door.

-Unplugged rubber sleeve in door jam and checked that connection into the door, everything was normal there - no corrosion or loose connection.

My next guess would be radio unit itself? The local indy shop will plug my car into their diagnostics next week at some point but its been on the back of my mind as to what it could be.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
NorthJersey 3er

co-founder of
euro techniks

Old 03-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Bump...just coz I posted about my audio issues today too...same door.

I'm still without a clue. You mentioned swapping a door card...what is that?

Also, why was the door unaligned in the first place...prior accident?

If there's a connection right inside that boot to the door, then maybe when they did whatever, that loosened up? I'll have to look in mine and see what's there, though I seem to have lost my left rear speaker too...so I'm considering a failure in a channel...

Hope you figure yours out...if I run into anything that might help, I'll let you know.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Same here.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
NorthJersey 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Bump...just coz I posted about my audio issues today too...same door.

I'm still without a clue. You mentioned swapping a door card...what is that?

Also, why was the door unaligned in the first place...prior accident?

If there's a connection right inside that boot to the door, then maybe when they did whatever, that loosened up? I'll have to look in mine and see what's there, though I seem to have lost my left rear speaker too...so I'm considering a failure in a channel...

Hope you figure yours out...if I run into anything that might help, I'll let you know.
The actual interior door panel is what I mean by door card. I took those off the door and plugged the passenger side speakers into the driver door to see if the speakers were the problem which they were not. Yeah I had my car resprayed and they had the doors removed to spray the jams. I don't know if they severed a wire when adjusting or something bc it is too coincidental that the day I get my driver door touched is the day I lose sound in it.
Channel failure is what I thought as well but after switching amps it still didn't solve it.

The plug in the door under the rubber sleeve could be your issue, but it may not be likely. Its 1 8mm bolt to take it off. When you unbolt it, pull up on the rubber and it will reveal the connector in there.

If you come up with anything at all put it in here. When I get back from the shop at some point next week I'll post up what I find out in the diagnostics..

co-founder of
euro techniks

Old 03-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
dmax

Tks. I'm going to check amp connection next. For you...maybe paint got in plug?

I'm on phone so if I wrote something stupid, it was probably the phone!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
NorthJersey 3er

I believe I solved the issue. When I first pulled the door cards off I disconnected the battery. I guess it wasn't long enough to reset anything because this morning I left it disconnected for an extended period of time before work and sure enough it reset and my speakers work now

co-founder of
euro techniks

Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey 3er View Post
I believe I solved the issue. When I first pulled the door cards off I disconnected the battery. I guess it wasn't long enough to reset anything because this morning I left it disconnected for an extended period of time before work and sure enough it reset and my speakers work now
Damn bat disconnect...how nice! Ain't going to work for me, though...this has persisted through a few bat disconnects! But, I'll have it on my list, just in case!

Glad you can hear again!

A recent set

Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
NorthJersey 3er

Yea I thought I tried that the first time but I dont think I left it disconnected long enough. Have you tried leaving it disconnected for a long period of time? That might do the trick

co-founder of
euro techniks

Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
NorthJersey 3er

Im back again, the issue appears to be intermittent and comes and goes. I feel like it could be a loose connection or split wire. The local indy shop ran some diagnostics on it and nothing came back alarming. They told me the balance is actually backwards I dunno how that could happen. Im gonna have to try swapping out head units and see if that makes a difference.

co-founder of
euro techniks

Old 05-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
NorthJersey 3er

UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED >>>>

So I had basically lost audio in my driver door permanently. Every once and awhile it would come on and during a long drive the bumps would cut out the sound. Then I noticed the passenger side started doing this as well, but not as badly. I took my car to a guy up here in NNJ to take a look at it. He's been w BMW and MB for 16 years and knows the navi and radio units quite well. We Swapped out actual navigation head unit entirely, but with no luck still did not have audio in the door. We then tried the radio/cd tuner located in the trunk (drivers' side) and that finally worked. Its been a few days without the slightest hint of a problem. This appears to be the source of the problem so if anyone has the issue of losing sound only in particular areas/speakers check your tuner!

co-founder of
euro techniks

Old 05-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
dmax

Matt,

You mean you replaced the amplifier? I'm wired for cd, but don't have one, but if this is what you mean, it's certainly something I think is high on my list of probable issues, though have some more diagnostic work I can do.

Anyway, I'm glad you got your problem solved!

Doug

A recent set

Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
NorthJersey 3er

Doug I swapped the amp w another M3 vert from the same year when this problem first arose and it still did nothing. In the trunk theres a radio/cd tuner (Looks similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alpin...-/290503877782 ). If you replace this part it will most likely solve your issue as well.

co-founder of
euro techniks

Old 05-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey 3er View Post
Doug I swapped the amp w another M3 vert from the same year when this problem first arose and it still did nothing. In the trunk theres a radio/cd tuner (Looks similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alpin...-/290503877782 ). If you replace this part it will most likely solve your issue as well.
Hmmm? Don't think I have one of those; just the amp and the pre-wiring for cd changer. I think I'm still looking at my amp...I'll get into it eventually. Something always turns out to need doing before!

A recent set

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
NorthJersey 3er

Have you tried changing out your radio unit? He said that sometime condensation builds up and drips from the vents above the radio and can leak into the radio knocking out sound too.

co-founder of
euro techniks

Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #16
g6

My Ride: BMW
voila very nice man. that would drive me crazy too.