E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
euG!

My Ride: ZHP SALOON
Send a message via AIM to euG!
HELP! Suspension Diagnosis Needed (CLUNKING) w/ Pics

Here is my install... anyone see anything that looks off (besides it being Racelands)? Im trying to find the source of a clunking noise. It sounds as if something is loose. And yes I am aware of the wheel rubbing the spring, that was when I first installed it WAY TOO low on stock wheels but that has been taken care of and is no longer the issue.
euG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
euG!

I am getting 5mm spacers for the front and will be torquing all the bolts to spec and HOPEFULLY that will fix everything! But your guys' .02 cents is appreciated till then.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Could either be something loose or something hitting something it shouldn't. Re-torque everything but I would tend to suspect loose nuts attaching the sway bar end links, even if they don't seem loose. Your pictures aren't the greatest but it also looks possible that the end of you sway bar may be contacting the control arm. If this is the case, you will need shorter end links.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
euG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Could either be something loose or something hitting something it shouldn't. Re-torque everything but I would tend to suspect loose nuts attaching the sway bar end links, even if they don't seem loose. Your pictures aren't the greatest but it also looks possible that the end of you sway bar may be contacting the control arm. If this is the case, you will need shorter end links.
Those are shorter 7" impaled end links but i see what you're saying. I will see if there could be contact but would it make sense that only one side would contact?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
bullfrogs_M3

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
I have found that, when I dumped my front end, I needed to run adjustable endlinks. If you are going really low, I would suggest finding a set of adjustable endlinks and shortening things up.

As far as one side making noise over another, keep in mind that all corners are not equal on your/any car. They may look identical (eyeball method) but in reality there are subtle differences. Things to check:

Strut nut on strut hat = (not sure on coils. On stock and PSS9 its 47 ft/lbs)
Strut to Tower nuts = 18 ft/lbs
Strut to Endlink Nuts = 44 ft/lbs
Swaybar to Endlink nuts = 44 ft/lbs
Control Arm Knuckle/Seat to Strut bolt = (don't remember, do a quick search to find. I think its around 60-70 ft/lbs)
Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
euG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
I have found that, when I dumped my front end, I needed to run adjustable endlinks. If you are going really low, I would suggest finding a set of adjustable endlinks and shortening things up.

As far as one side making noise over another, keep in mind that all corners are not equal on your/any car. They may look identical (eyeball method) but in reality there are subtle differences. Things to check:

Strut nut on strut hat = (not sure on coils. On stock and PSS9 its 47 ft/lbs)
Strut to Tower nuts = 18 ft/lbs
Strut to Endlink Nuts = 44 ft/lbs
Swaybar to Endlink nuts = 44 ft/lbs
Control Arm Knuckle/Seat to Strut bolt = (don't remember, do a quick search to find. I think its around 60-70 ft/lbs)
Any advise on how to torque the bottom bolt where the swaybar to endlink is? I cant seem to situate my torque wrench back here.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
TobyT

My Ride: 325i
My car made a clunking noise when i first got it. Replaced the rear control arm bushings and no more noise.
TobyT is offline   Reply With Quote