E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
AvTech Parts rear shock brace review

i figured i would throw a review up of this last mod that i got.. to be honest, i wasn't sure if i would feel any difference installing a rear shock brace... my current suspension setup is already pretty stiff. the main advantage i saw in this bar is to help prevent damage to the rear shock towers... definitely not a common occurrence but it is something to be wary of when running a stiff suspension.

the bar itself is heavier than you would think. it probably weighs between 5-6 lbs and it feels sturdy...it has a no hinge design so it is rigid and allows for much less flex. some things to note.. the reinforcment plates that are welded to the bar are not symmetrical... one plate is straight while the other is at a 15 degree angle or so... i thought this was odd but apparently this is completely in line with the way the shocks mount to the e46 chassis. the bar went on quickly and easily and there was no fighting or drilling necessary. i did a pretty crappy job cutting the carpet. i initially had the two rectangular pieces missing so that i could adjust my shocks... i did have to do a bit of additional cutting lower down so that the bar wouldn't be obstructed by excess material.

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS

after installing the bar i took a drive around to see what i noticed... the main thing was that the ride was noticeably firmer... not in a bad way by any means.. the car just picked up smaller bumps more than it usually would.. i did take it for a spirited drive up the mountain. i could not reaaally feel a huge deal there but with anything related to suspension... it's a combination of all mods working together that yield results. also something to note; this impromptu drive i did was on my 16's with 205/55/16 continental all season tires. also being a public road, i wasn't at the limits of grip very often. this may very well be a different story once i have my SSRs with starspecs or slicks in a racing situation. i'll be more likely to cause the chassis to flex under those circumstances.

now on to the pictures!

for what it's worth... here is my current suspension set up

KW v2 coilovers with linear TC Kline springs (500#F 650#R, no helper spring)
Vorshlag camber plates
UUC strut barbarian
Powerflex poly FCABs
Meyle HD front control arms
Hotchkis front and rear swaybars
Hotchkis adjustable rear endlinks
Ground Control adjustable front endlinks
TC Kline SA top adjustable rear shocks
Rogue Engineering RSMs
SPC rear lower camber arms
OEM M3 RTABs with Vorshlag limiters
AvTech Parts rear shock brace

Last edited by azzy989; 12-12-2010 at 09:22 PM.
azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Your suspension list is as extensive as Kalim's anal bead collection.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Levi@AvTechParts
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: e46 sedan
You're awesome Azlan, thank you for taking the time to do a write up.

For anyone who may be interested, I have the parts to make five more bars and two are already claimed. After that, I may just move onto making shock tower reinforcement plates and putting some rear shock mount kits together.

Thanks again buddy, I hope you're enjoying the new mod.
Levi@AvTechParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #4
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
I assume this mod does not help with the chassis flexing when going over uneven, right?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Levi@AvTechParts
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: e46 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
I assume this mod does not help with the chassis flexing when going over uneven, right?
There's no way for me to measure the chassis stiffness but if anything, the bar does prevent chassis flex especially because it's a one piece bar. I'd say it's kind of similar to our cars with fold down rear seats vs non folding rear seats. If you see the numbers, the one with the non folding rear seat has a much stiffer chassis because of the sheet metal thats acts as a brace by connecting both sides of the trunk together.
Levi@AvTechParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 AM   #6
kami9a

My Ride: 2000 323i manual
does any one know if these are still available and who would i go about asking to get one?
if any one knows pm me,
thanks,
Kamran
kami9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i
-delete

Slicktop - S54 - 6MT - 3.62 LSD - Active Tuned - JVT Headers - TMS Tracksport Coils - Hotchkis M3 Swaybars (IG - LEVIM9)

Last edited by Levim9; 03-26-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Levim9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
Also let me know if you make some more up
Old 03-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i
-delete

Slicktop - S54 - 6MT - 3.62 LSD - Active Tuned - JVT Headers - TMS Tracksport Coils - Hotchkis M3 Swaybars (IG - LEVIM9)

Last edited by Levim9; 03-26-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Levim9 is offline   Reply With Quote