E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
CokMinusTheS54

My Ride: '01 TiAg 325Ci 5mt
Proper alignment procedure. OEM wheels needed?

I searched on two forums and couldn't come up with an answer to my question. What is the proper procedure for doing an alignment on our cars? Specifically wheels. A local shop told me that I have to have my OEM 17s on my car in order to have the alignment done properly. Is this true? Must I remount my OEM wheels or can I get an alignment with my 19s on?

Also just to double check and list it out for others, the proper procedure is (correct or add if I'm wrong):

Full tank of gas
67 kg in front seats, seats in center positions
67 kg in center of rear seat
25 kg in center of trunk

anything else?

Last edited by CokMinusTheS54; 03-20-2011 at 11:51 PM.
CokMinusTheS54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
I had to sit and give this some thought. OEM specs give the exact camber/caster needed for the wheel to sit parallel to the road with suspension/weight. It's possible that changing the wheel size and weight would make it difficult to give a proper fitment... I'm not sure what size tires you are using but generally the tire diameter decreases with an increase of wheel size so there is zero net change in overall size. Weight is a different story.

On the other hand, even if they don't have a spec sheet to go by they normally have leveling equipment fitted to each wheel to determine how it sits with all weight/suspension applied - so if it's still sitting too far one way, they should simply be able to adjust it in the opposite direction to even it out.

Long story short, I would bring it to a more upscale shop - preferably a dealership - with more sophisticated equipment. They should just be able to punch in the specs and align from there...
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.

Last edited by viceversa; 03-20-2011 at 12:46 PM.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
CokMinusTheS54

My Ride: '01 TiAg 325Ci 5mt
Hmm I sort of follow what you are saying, however the guy mentioned it was due to tolerances being much less forgiving with the larger wheels. That they would have to be "more precise." That the stock 17s would be easier to get within spec. I kind of got the drift from him that it was harder with the larger wheels because they had to be more accurate and precise in doing the alignment (more metal = less play?).

He quoted me $140-180 to do the alignment so I'll take it elsewhere anyways.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
silverbmwfirst

My Ride: 2002 AA HKS 325ci
I have 19's on my 325ci. I took mine with the 19's to a firestone shop and had it aligned. The highest spec they could pull up on the computer was for 18's. They got it in spec for them and I have had no problems with irregular wear. I had 2 options on payment... A one time alignment for around 70 or pay 140 for lifetime. I opted to go with the lifetime. I decided on this so if I ever upgrade my suspension they can adjust it and I don't have to pay. I take my car there at least 3 times a year. I figure that I paid for it why not use it. I realize that it nay be overkill but the tech recommended at least to do it twice a year. I also get a printout of before and after specs so I can compare what they did. I also keep all the specs to compare to how off they get. At firestone you can go to any one of their shops and they pull your info up from your phone number. I just didn't like the idea of paying once and being stuck with what they did. What if the tech was lazy and just did a half as~ed job, I would not be able to get it redone, this way they have to do it right or I could just come back and make them do it again... Just my 2 cents :-)
silverbmwfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
I think if their alignment rack measures the angles of your wheels, then wheel size shouldn't matter. But if they measure the distance between the front or back edges of the wheels to determine toe-in/toe-out, then wheel size does matter. So ask if they're entering toe specs in degrees or in inches.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
wtf, most places go by angles wheel size shouldnt matter. trust me theyre probably giving you sh1t, i got quoted 180 for an alignment because i had 19s and they're "more difficult to align on the machine," take it somewhere else
Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
I got quoted 220 for an alignment because my wheels are satin black and it's a soft finish, so they have to use special tools.

I said "Your mother has a soft finish, and I used a special tool on her also."
Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
B6T

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokMinusTheS54 View Post
Also just to double check and list it out for others, the proper procedure is (correct or add if I'm wrong):

Full tank of gas
67 kg in front seats, seats in center positions
67 kg in center of rear seat
25 kg in center of trunk

anything else?
I would just bring it in for alignment in the state the car is driven in 97% of the time... with 205lbs in the drivers seat.

What's the point of aligning your car to a state it's rarely in?
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote