E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2004, 10:34 AM   #1
Shortshift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Michigan (Detroit Metro Area)
Posts: 204
My Ride: 04' 330ci 6-speed
Forced Induction... and the new era

It's about time e46 Fanatics made a FI forumn...


For those looking to go FI in the near future you have to be aware of the new Twin-Screw compressor in development.

This is more closer to a "roots" style supercharger than it is a centerfugal supercharger. It is about as costly as a turbo but the reliability is sound. Thats why Mercedes and Ford and Buick all use Roots style in productions cars. This kit in 1 better ..!!

John Conforti (the master) is the one who designed the software for these new kits... here is the link:

http://www.eurosporthighperformance....ercharger.html
__________________
*****************
-Shortshift
Shortshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Clem
Alpha Male
 
Clem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 310
My Ride: Twin Turbo'd Beast
I've been following the development in the bimmerforums FI board. Unfortuately it looks like E46 applications are a long way off. :sad:
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
tim330i
Owner/Admin
 
tim330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,289
My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
a bunch of different tuners have been trying this idea and have dropped it....makes me wonder why.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 09:04 PM   #4
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Awesome, NJ
Posts: 4,572
My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally posted by tim330i
a bunch of different tuners have been trying this idea and have dropped it....makes me wonder why.

Tim
Packaging!

A positive displacement blower is the most difficult to package under the hood of a tightly packed E46 because it is larger than a centrifugal supercharger. The pushrod crowd has traditionally mounted a positive displacement blower on top of the lower intake in the lifter valley between the cylinder heads at the expense of intercooling. In recent history, Ford managed to put an intercooled Roots blower in the lifter valley of the 3.8 V6 Thunderbird SC by routing the outlet out the back of the case and around the motor to the front of the car. Cooled air then entered the intake manifold just in front of the blower. This method used up a ton of space in the T-Bird but the car had space to spare with that long hood.

FWIW, I have an Eaton M60 blower from alow milage T-Bird that I was going to retrofit to my old E28. Removing the AC created gobs of space under the block on the passenger side. I sold the car before I was motivated to start making brackets. One of these days I'll pick up a nice E12 and boost the snot out of it.

Ed
__________________
Mod the driver. Participate in your local BMWCCA autocross or driving school. Have you joined BMWCCA yet?

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
xS3x
mi casa @ technik
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Taipei
Posts: 6,299
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to xS3x
Quote:
Originally posted by Clem
I've been following the development in the bimmerforums FI board. Unfortuately it looks like E46 applications are a long way off. :sad:
yup..
__________________
xS3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:45 PM   #6
trybaljedi
XXXX
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Floor.i.d.a
Posts: 719
My Ride: XXXX.
Send a message via AIM to trybaljedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl
Packaging!

A positive displacement blower is the most difficult to package under the hood of a tightly packed E46 because it is larger than a centrifugal supercharger. The pushrod crowd has traditionally mounted a positive displacement blower on top of the lower intake in the lifter valley between the cylinder heads at the expense of intercooling. In recent history, Ford managed to put an intercooled Roots blower in the lifter valley of the 3.8 V6 Thunderbird SC by routing the outlet out the back of the case and around the motor to the front of the car. Cooled air then entered the intake manifold just in front of the blower. This method used up a ton of space in the T-Bird but the car had space to spare with that long hood.

FWIW, I have an Eaton M60 blower from alow milage T-Bird that I was going to retrofit to my old E28. Removing the AC created gobs of space under the block on the passenger side. I sold the car before I was motivated to start making brackets. One of these days I'll pick up a nice E12 and boost the snot out of it.

Ed

Exactly right. The fab process is ridiculous. Notice the Stillen blower on the 350z. They had to use a powerbuldge just to get it to fit...
trybaljedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:15 PM   #7
stimpee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: FL
Posts: 181
My Ride: No Bimmer right now
Send a message via AIM to stimpee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
a bunch of different tuners have been trying this idea and have dropped it....makes me wonder why.

Tim
They dropped it because it is hard as hell to do. I have been working on mine for 2.5 years, and have only been running for about 7 months.

If I actually had to PAY myself for the time it took to do this, I would have given up LONG ago.

Show me some good tuning/software options for the E46, and you may see a kit available sooner than you think!!
__________________
____________
Steve
Twin Screws Rule
stimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
Shortshift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Michigan (Detroit Metro Area)
Posts: 204
My Ride: 04' 330ci 6-speed
Hello Stimpee

Quick question, the Twin-Screw design is a clutchless design correct ..?
__________________
*****************
-Shortshift
Shortshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:31 PM   #9
stimpee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: FL
Posts: 181
My Ride: No Bimmer right now
Send a message via AIM to stimpee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortshift
Hello Stimpee

Quick question, the Twin-Screw design is a clutchless design correct ..?
Correct. There are some prototypes by the compressor manufacturers that are using clutches, but typically they do not use them yet.

The system uses a bypass valve to reduce parasitic drag of the compressor in off-boost driving.

If anyone is curious as to how it feels, send me an email and stop by. I am in northeastern MD, near the DE border.

My car just feels like it has a significantly larger engine in it!

Steve
__________________
____________
Steve
Twin Screws Rule
stimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use