E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
Question H&R RSS ClubSport Coil-Over Noise Question

So this is the current suspension setup I'm running in my 99' 323i.

H&R RSS ClubSport Coil-Over

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...9&autoModClar=

My car handles like a dream but recently I have been hearing a "metal spring" creaking type noise from the driver side rear when I exit the vehicle (when I stand up and my weight is no longer on the chassis).

So here is my question, do I need to replace my springs and or shocks to my current setup? Parts were installed in @ approx. 92,000 miles. My car currently has 143K on the odometer.

It doesn't make any noise when I drive, it handles great, and there are no issues to note overall except the creaking noise concern when I enter/exit the vehicle.

Is there any required maint. or anything I can or should do? Is this normal over time with wear and tear?

SIDE NOTE: Sub frame recently failed and was repaired in the last 5,000 miles. Noise existed before but seems a little more noticeable now. Visualize inspection of the area did not raise any red flags. However, I noticed while I was looking that my rear shocks are the signature yellow w/ baby blue per Bilsteins signature look. Could I possible have Bilstein shocks on this H&R setup? (I was not the one who installed the coil over setup and don't know how I just caught this now)

CLICK Link to pics in sig w/ story!
islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
not answering unless I get a large size copy of your sig pic without the stars.

thanks

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
This could be as simple as the parking brake making some noise. Presumably you normally set the parking brake before getting out of the car. Try leaving the brake off and see if the noise goes away (be sure to re-engage the parking brake after this experiment).
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
alpine325i

My Ride: Alpine 2001 325i
+1 on a large size sig pic

It should not have bilsteins if that is the kit that is on the car... maybe the rears were replaced after they went out, with billies? Check the fronts and see what they are...

I'm impressed they fixed your subframe with aftermarket suspension installed!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine325i View Post

It should not have bilsteins if that is the kit that is on the car... maybe the rears were replaced after they went out, with billies? Check the fronts and see what they are...

What do you mean it shouldn't have Bilsteins, I have HR coilovers and they clearly say Bilstein stamped on the body while the label says HR.

Also, OP didn't say that he got them to cover the subframe repair, it seems to me that you jumped to conclusions.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
islanq

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
not answering unless I get a large size copy of your sig pic without the stars.

thanks
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=827263

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
This could be as simple as the parking brake making some noise. Presumably you normally set the parking brake before getting out of the car. Try leaving the brake off and see if the noise goes away (be sure to re-engage the parking brake after this experiment).
Actually you might be right, the guy who did my sub frame job said a part of the car fell onto the driver side brake cable and stretched it. He tightened it up the best he could but it doesn't hold like it used to. I should probably get some UUC stainless break lines to upgrade and replace the old ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine325i View Post

I paid out of pocket for the sub frame repair. Roseville BMW denied my claim because of the suspension and "larger than stock wheels." Ironic considering they sell stock 3 series with 17's and M3's with 18's and 19's... I'm running 18's BTW. What a load of crap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by franz View Post
What do you mean it shouldn't have Bilsteins, I have HR coilovers and they clearly say Bilstein stamped on the body while the label says HR.

Also, OP didn't say that he got them to cover the subframe repair, it seems to me that you jumped to conclusions.
Hmmm, was there a point and time when they sold the H&R setup with Bilstein? I know I have the fully adjustable sport setup but the ones (that might be updated in the photo or something) are a different color and mind more closely resemble the Bilstein Sport shocks.

Either way I'm satisfied, I know how well known Bilstein is known for their shocks and quality and can surely vouch on their behalf.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
franz

All I am saying is I don't think HR makes shocks, and your shocks could be any color really if you didn't install them. My setup is only about six months old, and is the Turner Tracksport setup, it says HR on the sticker and Bilstein on the shock. I was totally not surprised by this information, and if your shocks are actually Bilstein Sport then they are WAY too long for your coil-overs so they are custom at least in length if not in valving as well. My rear ones are 50mm in diameter while sport are only 40mm in diameter and they are a LOT shorter. I wouldn't make too much of this color thing, because Bilstein and HR have always been paired together, likely the silver color they are showing now is newer than the vintage of your setup.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
franz

Oh by the way my car came with 18's stock, well as an upgrade on the original sticker.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
islanq

Quote:
All I am saying is I don't think HR makes shocks, and your shocks could be any color really if you didn't install them. My setup is only about six months old, and is the Turner Tracksport setup, it says HR on the sticker and Bilstein on the shock. I was totally not surprised by this information, and if your shocks are actually Bilstein Sport then they are WAY too long for your coil-overs so they are custom at least in length if not in valving as well. My rear ones are 50mm in diameter while sport are only 40mm in diameter and they are a LOT shorter. I wouldn't make too much of this color thing, because Bilstein and HR have always been paired together, likely the silver color they are showing now is newer than the vintage of your setup.
Thanks for the info, I'm super technically inclined as far as the engine goes on the E46 application (as I have DIY'd just about everything on this cars motor at some point). However, the suspension (although considered simply by most) is just something I never took the time to learn or even really look at until recently :X

Quote:
Oh by the way my car came with 18's stock, well as an upgrade on the original sticker.
Exactly, I thought there were some out there that did, earlier E46's mostly came with 16 and 17's. I have seen some later models (02'+) with some what I thought were stock 18's. Thanks for confirming this!

Tags
323i, bilstein, creaking noise, h&r