E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #221
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
i've been driving this thing all over the place. the tune is spot on, vanos control works wonders on the powerband.

there's still a few minutes of lean misfires after a very cold start, but i'm just too lazy to tune that out.

i've been meaning to get some videos..., just never have enough hands to hold the camera and drive.
Oh that's a beautiful thing that you can drive it anywhere you please. Would you trust this car on a long road trip say to Miami or even Maryland for the Bimmerfest that's coming up this year?
Yeah Video's of the car would be nice.
Now that You've figured out how everything needs to run how simple or how long do you think it would take to do it all over again?

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #222
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
That is so aweosme.

Moar pics and vids
Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #223
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3

nice projects!

My gawd this turns me ON!

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #224
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
just drove the car like 60 miles on the highway. the new turbo is a LOT laggier, but when it gets going it does so quite nicely.

the upside of all the lag is that tuning is now a tad simpler as there's no instant boost anymore, and fuel economy should be slightly better.

i think i could trust this car... there's a couple of thousand of miles on the setup so far with trans control (with no discernible performance degradation).

to do it all over again ? this would be very very simple. the engine controls are very straight forward and tuning is mostly just driving it with live ve tune on.

i have an OBX exhaust sitting at home dual 2" pipes, waiting to go on in the next week or so.
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3 j&s ultrasafeguard - SOLD
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #225
gurov

the new exhaust helps a bit with the lag, and the car sounds much better now, not to mention the exhaust is a ton easier to work with as it comes in sections, lighter, etc.

this was an obx e46 3 series sedan exhaust. it doesn't quite fit the XI as the very front resonator hits the transfer case mounting. but otherwise the exhaust would fit up.

what i had to do was rework the bends as well as make a merge into a single 2.5".
Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #226
Capt1014

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Almost a full year working this project.......Holy Crap! I would have blown the car up by now.

Overkill is an often underrated state of achivement!
Capt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:08 AM   #227
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Bump for ya gurov

Would you care to share your IAT resistance table ?
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #228
AlpinewhiteXi

My Ride: 01 325Xi // 86 325e
You are a Mad Genius Gurov! I've been hooked to this thread for the last couple of days reading through your entire build, it's like crack. Thanks for such a detailed build! Great work.
AlpinewhiteXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #229
NYC'z Mr.e46

My Ride: is to low
Excellent work my dude, glad to see there's fanatics that are determine to get things done! This is a project that everyone here would I've said it won't work! Great job. What do you think of running a setup like this on pro efi
Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #230
Diabolu$

My Ride: 330 ci supercharged
sorry, but could i ask u about Auto trans. Looking for any information about working with turbo.
Too many pages here ...

Thanx a LOT!
Diabolu$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #231
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt1014 View Post
Almost a full year working this project.......Holy Crap! I would have blown the car up by now.
nah, i have safeguards to prevent me from getting too overzealous with timing. i have to keep the boost down-ish to prevent trans damage... although i might start upping it so it does blow up so i can do a swap.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #232
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC'z Mr.e46 View Post
Excellent work my dude, glad to see there's fanatics that are determine to get things done! This is a project that everyone here would I've said it won't work! Great job. What do you think of running a setup like this on pro efi
proefi would probably work. i went with megasquirt because my other cars run on megasquirt and i'm very familiar with it and how to set it up.

the auto trans is a love-hate thing for me.

i love that i don't have to shift it most of the time, and i can just be lazy and handle traffic fine. torque converter also DOES make it rather quick off the line without ****ing around with the clutch. plus 4th gear is pretty cool, no moving inside the trans in that gear (for the most part, 1:1 ratio). shifting under boost is also a rather interesting feeling.

the hate is that it makes the car slower and software i'm using on the transmission controller is rather primitive, and not really meant for a refined-feeling vehicle. there's bugs in it, but i've learned to work around them, or just switch it to manual and up/down shift on my own.

furthermore, i have no idea whether the trans is taking more or less abuse, it doesn't feel any different than when i started modifying it, still same speed shifts, etc.

for reference, the trans is a GM 5l40e, 3 shift solenoids, torque converter clutch and main pressure solenoid. 3rd shift solenoid controls whether the one way clutch is on or off in gears 1-4. there's input and output shaft speed sensors, i have the tooth counts around somewhere for determining rotational speed, slip, etc.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #233
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
You are insane (in a good way). The amount of work you did in a year is unbelievable.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #234
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Bump for ya gurov

Would you care to share your IAT resistance table ?
sure:

http://gurov.us/325xiiatfactor.txt

http://gurov.us/325xicltfactor.txt

these are straight out of OBD2 translations. i.e. i hooked up obd2 reader (one of the few i got off ebay) and a variable resistor to where the sensor would normally go, i captured voltage and what obd2 reported for temperatures.

the files contain 1024 lines because they are for mapping a full 10 bit ADC to temperatures.

so 0-1023 is assumed based on the line number, the value is temp in F * 10 ( to get the decimal in there).

i use no bias resistors in my megasquirt box, so these are just reading voltage from the NTC junction using what the stock DME has for bias resistor for NTC and using those voltages.

where are you looking to use this ?

Last edited by gurov; 09-09-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #235
gurov

oh, another thing, i had to cut a hole in the hood, as the turbo made a dent in it... sticking up too high.

speedhole:

that looked rather ugly, so i covered it up with a strut tower cover from a 90's silver dodge stealth. it's still somewhat ugly, but at least it's not a hole through the hood.

the big braided hose you see there is my attempt to fix my AC system. the manifold rubbed through the stock hose, and since the car ran so well that it never really got into the garage to be looked at by me, i didn't notice the hole in the hose until it was too late. so those are custom AC lines now.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #236
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Updates?

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #237
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
sure:

http://gurov.us/325xiiatfactor.txt

http://gurov.us/325xicltfactor.txt

these are straight out of OBD2 translations. i.e. i hooked up obd2 reader (one of the few i got off ebay) and a variable resistor to where the sensor would normally go, i captured voltage and what obd2 reported for temperatures.

the files contain 1024 lines because they are for mapping a full 10 bit ADC to temperatures.

so 0-1023 is assumed based on the line number, the value is temp in F * 10 ( to get the decimal in there).

i use no bias resistors in my megasquirt box, so these are just reading voltage from the NTC junction using what the stock DME has for bias resistor for NTC and using those voltages.

where are you looking to use this ?
Im looking to use the stock sensors with my link , which doesnt have a correct table for it (only standard Bosch NTC and some others)

The files dont make sense to me though , if i take the value and divide it by 10 i get the F temp , but what about the resistance ?

BTW , time for a M3 bulge hood ? (or maby that wont do ya anything good either)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #238
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Im looking to use the stock sensors with my link , which doesnt have a correct table for it (only standard Bosch NTC and some others)

The files dont make sense to me though , if i take the value and divide it by 10 i get the F temp , but what about the resistance ?

BTW , time for a M3 bulge hood ? (or maby that wont do ya anything good either)
the values in the file are temperatures. 0-1024 is assumed and that's 10 bit adc conversion coming straight off the NTC coupling with stock ecu present (and providing the bias resistor, whatever it is)

the bulge in the hood is fine for now.

i managed to piss the stock ecu off somehow even worse, i lost RPM signal when i was out and about, which shuts off the fuel pump, and unfortunately also shuts off the front fan, no matter how freaking hot the water temp says it is. i am VERY Disappointed in BMW programmers in this regard, it saw temperatures over 240F, and finished cracking my expansion tank, riiiiight around harlem, in manhattan. this basically made the car dump out all its coolant, overheating like a massive *****.

no damage though, i replaced the expansion tank in the parking lot, which was surprisingly easy to do, filled it back up, jumpered the negative terminal of the front fan to negative to get the car home.

i've been too lazy to hook up one of my readers to see what it's actually complaining about, but the standalone still works and can read the RPM perfectly fine.

i'm really wanting to swap to manual trans now, so i need to start looking for one of those and a way to get it into my garage.

car runs like a champ when it's not overheatnig, that's for sure, front fan at full blast keeps the temps at 196, that's also probably without the "performance mode" engaged on the main thermostat.

i'm going to hook the stock fuel pump relay to the standalone box, and hook up another relay for the fan. i will replace the crank angle sensor cause i ordered one.

other than that, i've been driving the car at around 7psi without an issue from the engine, other than the bit mentioned above.

any other questions ?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #239
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
100 + shipping for a 5spd. You will still need pedal, flywheel,clutch etc.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #240
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
100 + shipping for a 5spd. You will still need pedal, flywheel,clutch etc.
could you please find out shipping to 07728 ? i'd totally jump on that, gather up parts and swap the damn thing. i'm sick of dealing with buggy as hell auto trans control software.