E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
neiltyme

My Ride: 330xi
Dice Vs. Dynavin

Hey Everyone,
This marks my first post. Ive been around these forums since getting my car back in Dec. and you guys are amazing. This is a great place to hang around.

On to my first question ever: Do the folks on here recommend going with the DICE (CD changer substitute)or the Dynavin (full head-unit replacement).

My priority is mainly Bluetooth functionality (audio and call streaming), high quality sound (compatible with the Harman Kardon option), and the ability to integrate IPOD system. Though the latter isn't as important considering I have an oldass 60G 5th gen wheely. The navi look would obviously be a plus but is it worth extra $400-500 ?

My main concern is call clarity and seamlessness with audio music. I don't know if the DICE comes with a mic and have heard mixed reviews about call clarity for both parties.

BMW Performance Exhaust

Last edited by neiltyme; 04-07-2011 at 12:39 AM.
neiltyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
The DICE will mainly be there to play music from your phone or ipod. To make it seemless, you'll need to add in a parrot/connects setup (do a search on those, you'll find lots of threads).

This will give you what you want for half the price of a dynavin. However if you want nav along with several other toys, the dynavin would be the way to go. It really depends on what you want.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Toxx

My Ride: 2000 323i
Spend the extra and go with the nav, you won't regret it and it looks tons better
Toxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Based on what you are after, the DICE MediaBridge will do all that you need. If you are after a touchscreen with navigation and DVD playback, then go with the Dynavin unit. However, if you are solely after iPod and bluetooth integration, you can save a bit with the MediaBridge.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
So far the comments are spot on and I agree with them all. My consideration for going with a Dice vs. Dynavin were cost (Dice cheaper, plus I already had Nav), and the fact that I didn't want to put something (a nice shiny Dynavin) in my VERT that would call out to potential thieves to steal - not so much an issue in a non-VERT. The DICE;Parrot/Connects2 works fine. John

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Toxx

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
So far the comments are spot on and I agree with them all. My consideration for going with a Dice vs. Dynavin were cost (Dice cheaper, plus I already had Nav), and the fact that I didn't want to put something (a nice shiny Dynavin) in my VERT that would call out to potential thieves to steal - not so much an issue in a non-VERT. The DICE;Parrot/Connects2 works fine. John
Good point, but if OP doesn't have nav, and has a hardtop, chances are if he's consumed by the mod bug, at one point or another he will go though the nav consideration phase. Just sayin
Toxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
neiltyme

My Ride: 330xi
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I used to have a lexus with all the mods in the book! Its hard to resist on the e46, but must make an effort to be more conservative this time.
The parrot and media bridge are cheaper options, but seem to be requiring some extra work. I guess I'll wait until it gets warmer before attempting, unless I cave in and just get a DVN .

BMW Performance Exhaust
neiltyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Dynavin was one of the best things I did on my BMW. If they made one for my current car....I would buy it again. Just my suggestion. Best bang for the buck ENTIRE package if you do not have OEM navigation. And it looks like it belongs there.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #9
bishop1977

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP S/C
Dice products are glitchy and customer service is weak.
bishop1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
and the fact that I didn't want to put something (a nice shiny Dynavin) in my VERT that would call out to potential thieves to steal - not so much an issue in a non-VERT.
On the flip-side, Dynavin looks very flush and very OEM fitment - IMHO any would-be thief who does take a second look at it would probably think it was OEM and have no use for it.

...Or so I hope.
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop1977 View Post
Dice products are glitchy and customer service is weak.
This. I have DICE and support is non-existent.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
ProjektMayhem

My Ride: BMW 325
I've been considering a Dynavin myself, but I've also been looking at the MediaBridge to replace my craptastic Dice Silverline. Do both of those devices support using the Bluetooth to stream the music (I don't have any iProducts), or is the BT only there for phone purposes? I used to have a BT headset that would allow me to use it for phone, but not media; very frustrating. My Droid X holds quite a large chunk of my media collection (32gb micro sd ftw!), and I've never felt the need to own three devices for three separate functions when one can replace them all. No iProducts for me.
ProjektMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
The dynavin will any audio via bluetooth....I use it both for content like podcasts/music, as well as apps like siriusXM and pandora.

Dont know about the mediabridge....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dice, dynavin