E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #1041
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
I've had:

Milwaukee Brewing Co's Flaming Damsel

Milwaukee Brewing Co's Pull Chain Pail Ale

tonight... both are good.

My buddy in Florida just got the package of New Glarus Spotted Cow - can't wait for Orlando Brewing Co's Blonde ale in return!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #1042
JudgeSmails

My Ride: '01 330 Ci
Anyone here collect or cellar/age beers? I have a few stashed to age that I purchased warm, but the beer stores around me mostly sell everything out of the cooler. Is it bad to buy a cold beer that I age at cellar temperature (say 55-65 degreees) for 6 months or a year?

Side note - one of the types of saved beers I have is the Stone Vertical Epic from 2009. The suggestion is to age it until 2012, but I have a half case of the 22 oz bottles so the other day I said 'screw it' and drank one. Holy flavor explosion! Sooooo gooooooooood.....
JudgeSmails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #1043
jaewonder

My Ride: 13 Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
Anyone here collect or cellar/age beers? I have a few stashed to age that I purchased warm, but the beer stores around me mostly sell everything out of the cooler. Is it bad to buy a cold beer that I age at cellar temperature (say 55-65 degreees) for 6 months or a year?

Side note - one of the types of saved beers I have is the Stone Vertical Epic from 2009. The suggestion is to age it until 2012, but I have a half case of the 22 oz bottles so the other day I said 'screw it' and drank one. Holy flavor explosion! Sooooo gooooooooood.....
I'm not sure how the temperature change would affect the beers, but I too am aging a couple Stone Vertical Epics, 2010 though. Can't wait to pop them open in a few years!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #1044
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
Quote:

I have a ton of beers cellaring right now. Some as new as last year, some as old as 1968. Higher-alcohol bottle conditioned beers (ie beers carbonated naturally in the bottle with yeast) are typically the best beers to age.

In theory, being in a cooler can stall the yeast and prevent them from working their magic during aging. This is the argument that some people use against putting beer in a cooler.

In practice, it will age just fine. Yeast are resilient little buggers. Elgood's Flag Porter is brewed with yeast recovered from a ship that sank in 1825.

If the yeast can survive over 150 years inside of a bottle in the bottom of the ocean, then a week or two in the cooler won't hurt them.

Just my $0.02
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #1045
MATT0404

My Ride: e39
Quote:

Definitely no problem buying them cold. Most beers that age well are high ABV, high hop, high malt beers that are very resilient.

I usually buy a few of the Stone Vertical's for that exact reason. A couple to consume and a couple to age.
MATT0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #1046
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Cellaring beer is overrated. Drink and enjoy the beer you buy!
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #1047
JudgeSmails

My Ride: '01 330 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by spage View Post
I have a ton of beers cellaring right now. Some as new as last year, some as old as 1968. Higher-alcohol bottle conditioned beers (ie beers carbonated naturally in the bottle with yeast) are typically the best beers to age.

In theory, being in a cooler can stall the yeast and prevent them from working their magic during aging. This is the argument that some people use against putting beer in a cooler.

In practice, it will age just fine. Yeast are resilient little buggers. Elgood's Flag Porter is brewed with yeast recovered from a ship that sank in 1825.

If the yeast can survive over 150 years inside of a bottle in the bottom of the ocean, then a week or two in the cooler won't hurt them.

Just my $0.02
1968!! Let's open a few

I'm most likely overthinking the whole thing. For the specialty and imperial stouts and such, I think it would be pretty hard to ruin them, and heat is much more destructive than cold.
JudgeSmails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #1048
MATT0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Cellaring beer is overrated. Drink and enjoy the beer you buy!
Buy two of everything = best of both worlds! Seriously, many big beers don't reach even close to their full potential until months or years after bottling. DFH World Wide Stout and Voodoo's Black Magick are brewed and released to reach optimum flavor/drinkability 5 years later! Though the ones in my cellar won't make it that long.

Last edited by MATT0404; 04-12-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #1049
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
Buy two of everything = best of both worlds! Seriously, many big beers don't reach even close to their full potential until months or years after bottling. DFH World Wide Stout and Voodoo's Black Magick are brewed and released to reach optimum flavor/drinkability 5 years later! Though the ones in my cellar won't make it that long.
Exactly... every year I buy two of the Stone IRS. I put one in the cellar and drink the other one head-to-head with the last year's release. The difference just one year makes in that beer is unbelievable.

The older Thomas Hardy's ales were sold with a sticker on them instructing you to not open them for 10 years.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #1050
///MTruck

My Ride: 2013 6MT Audi A4
I am currently aging a bottle of Three Philosophers and I have been looking for more beers to cellar/age. I also agree with the buying of 2 beers: one to age and one to enjoy/get to know the fresh flavors.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #1051
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock
Quote:
+11111111

i have my stone collection and few other random things stored.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #1052
kpxl1023

My Ride: 24's
Beer lovers: so what do y'all think about sierra nv ipa(regular)? I think its too piney..what say you?
kpxl1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #1053
MATT0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpxl1023 View Post
Beer lovers: so what do y'all think about sierra nv ipa(regular)? I think its too piney..what say you?
I think it's great! At 5.6% abv, I think it's one of the most flavorful, lower-abv beers available.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #1054
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
I think it's great! At 5.6% abv, I think it's one of the most flavorful, lower-abv beers available.
Well said.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #1055
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
I've been sampling some Mendocino brews. Most recently, the White Hawk Select IPA. I'm a real IPA snob and was pleasantly surprised by their take on it.

Becoming a fan of this company!

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #1056
///MTruck

I remember having SNPA awhile ago and it being really drinkable. Don't remember the flavor as much but I did like it.

SN Celebration though...
Old 04-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #1057
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Anyone ever try Arrogant Bastard Ale?
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #1058
6-speed

My Ride: E21 > E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Anyone ever try Arrogant Bastard Ale?

Amazing.
6-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #1059
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Had this last night, pretty good, easy to drink. But i like anything pretty much dogfish makes

Red and White
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #1060
///MTruck

Prima Pils for the 82 degree weather tomorrow in Cali!

Curious about the redemption, has anybody tried it?