E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
mbozz93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Townsville, Australia
Posts: 10
My Ride: BMW 318i E46
2001 BMW 318i E46 Problems HELP!

Hey Everyone

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a BMW 318i which I am now having major problems with

One day I fueled up the car to full went for about a 20min drive and stopped over to buy something. I went to start my car and the whole car began to shake vigorously. I opened the hood to see the engine rocking from side to side :/ I quickly brought it to a nearby mechanic and he realized it was misfiring, he also mentioned something about the vacuum hissing :s
The car was then towed to my mechanic, who inspected it.
He looked at it for several hours and said he cannot fix it

Does anyone know what could be wrong or have had a similar experience?
I have a feeling this problem is going to cost me a heaps or I'm am going to have to replace the engine
mbozz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
xi325xi02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 533
My Ride: 325xi
Shaking from side to side? Have you check engine mounts?
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad328i View Post
you want ladys damm, get a punchin hard ass sound system
I HATE CVT'S
xi325xi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
mbozz93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Townsville, Australia
Posts: 10
My Ride: BMW 318i E46
I think it was more because the engine was struggling so much it shook from side to side
mbozz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:08 AM   #4
jcjdavis1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paisley Scotland
Posts: 159
My Ride: 323ise 1999 saloon
Hi. When was the car last serviced what engine is in the car M43 or N42.
Worth looking on UK sites as the 318i engine is more common.
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/ . Jim
__________________
The older I get the wrong bit gets stiff!!
jcjdavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
Drizzles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 964
My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Most likely an M43 ... had a similar problem when my CCV went ...if you've got a vacuum leak then start there, vacuum lines etc have a BIG part to play in our cars.
__________________
Drizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
mbozz93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Townsville, Australia
Posts: 10
My Ride: BMW 318i E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzles View Post
Most likely an M43 ... had a similar problem when my CCV went ...if you've got a vacuum leak then start there, vacuum lines etc have a BIG part to play in our cars.
I think you are right about my engine model, I'm pretty sure it is a M43
I'm sending my car to another mechanic who is more experienced with BMW's :s
Was the CCV expensive to replace?

BTW, Sweet additions to your bimmer!
mbozz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #7
mbozz93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Townsville, Australia
Posts: 10
My Ride: BMW 318i E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjdavis1 View Post
Hi. When was the car last serviced what engine is in the car M43 or N42.
Worth looking on UK sites as the 318i engine is more common.
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/ . Jim
Hey, Well it's last service was it's mechanical inspection before I bought it and only a thermostat had to be replaced at that time. I'll have a look on the uk sites for similar threads
Thanks
mbozz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
zbi701
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 250
My Ride: E46 318i
Get it scanned. See what code it reveal. Go from there.
zbi701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #9
Drizzles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 964
My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbozz93 View Post
I think you are right about my engine model, I'm pretty sure it is a M43
I'm sending my car to another mechanic who is more experienced with BMW's :s
Was the CCV expensive to replace?

BTW, Sweet additions to your bimmer!
You know what, I just realized ... you live in Townsville ... 100kms south of me ...

I'm meeting a mate from Townsville thats a member here tomorrow afternoon, he runs a 323 but ... I work every day but next week Wednesday is my RDO and I'm coming down to Tville to get my Rack Rebuilt and a full alignment done, then I'm going over to Hi Flo Exhausts to see how much it's gonna cost me to get some custom headers made to suit my exhaust ... I could bring my code reader and we can meet up and pull some codes if you want ...

And ty

Just took a look at your photos, she looks nice, definitely an M43 cuz it's a pre-facelift, same as mine.

You look like your a rich ***** On the new development on the hill at Mission Beach right?? Nice place

But yeah, mine did the same thing about 5 weeks after getting it, turned out to be my CCV Valve ...
__________________

Last edited by Drizzles; 04-13-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Drizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
Drizzles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 964
My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzles View Post
You know what, I just realized ... you live in Townsville ... 100kms south of me ...

I'm meeting a mate from Townsville thats a member here tomorrow afternoon, he runs a 323 but ... I work every day but next week Wednesday is my RDO and I'm coming down to Tville to get my Rack Rebuilt and a full alignment done, then I'm going over to Hi Flo Exhausts to see how much it's gonna cost me to get some custom headers made to suit my exhaust ... I could bring my code reader and we can meet up and pull some codes if you want ...

And ty
Oh wait, before you get ANYONE to do any work to it ... did you buy it from a dealer or yard of any kind or was it a private sale???
__________________
Drizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #11
mbozz93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Townsville, Australia
Posts: 10
My Ride: BMW 318i E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzles View Post
Oh wait, before you get ANYONE to do any work to it ... did you buy it from a dealer or yard of any kind or was it a private sale???
Hey
WOW, thanks for your offer, but I've already got a mechanic looking at it atm
Do you service your car yourself
I am a newb when it comes to mechanic's

Haha, I wish i was a rich #$&!
Im am only young and in uni, so i am pretty poor

Do you know how much the CCV cost ya?
Oh and I got my car from a private seller.
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
mbozz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #12
Drizzles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 964
My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbozz93 View Post
Hey
WOW, thanks for your offer, but I've already got a mechanic looking at it atm
Do you service your car yourself
I am a newb when it comes to mechanic's

Haha, I wish i was a rich #$&!
Im am only young and in uni, so i am pretty poor

Do you know how much the CCV cost ya?
Oh and I got my car from a private seller.
Damn ... with a Dealer you get a Mandatory Statutory warranty ... not with private but ...

I have recently started servicing my car by myself, I'm doing one this weekend.

Most faults and repairs however I do myself. Mechanics isn't so hard, if you follow a DIY, it's just like tying your shoes. (You can tie your shoes right??? )

I actually don't know how much the CCV cost me cuz I bought mine from Pickerings and it played up so I got it repaired under the Statutory Warranty. If you don't want to wait long, David from Parts at BMW in Townsville could get you one within a day or two, otherwise you can get it HEAPS cheaper (usually half the price if not less), still Genuine BMW from Mike @ http://www.thebmwpartstore.com/ you can actually find him on here, hes an EXCELLENT bloke with top service and a can do, always willing to help attitude. Price is the best I've seen too ... his E-mail is thebmwpartstore@gmail.com ATT it to Mike.

Just let me know if you need a hand with it, as I said I'll be in Townsville on the 20th, then again on the 4th of next month ... getting my Rack rebuilt and a full Alignment done on the 20th and Injectors cleaned on the 4th of next month ...
__________________
Drizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #13
jcjdavis1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paisley Scotland
Posts: 159
My Ride: 323ise 1999 saloon
Hi. Changing the CCV and CCV hose is a simple job and not too expensive, look in link under engine/crankcase-ventilation No.1&3
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...2&mospid=47631
While you are at it have a read of this- http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...pipe+connector .Jim
__________________
The older I get the wrong bit gets stiff!!
jcjdavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #14
SMAX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Trinidad
Posts: 28
My Ride: 2001 318i
318i fellowship

Drizzles is a perfect example of the utility of this forum ....that was some solid advice given ...and indicative of the willingness of all forum members to help fellow enthusiasts
__________________
Driving on the left and loving it
SMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #15
Drizzles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 964
My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
Drizzles is a perfect example of the utility of this forum ....that was some solid advice given ...and indicative of the willingness of all forum members to help fellow enthusiasts
Eh, I'm always willing to help
__________________
Drizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #16
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
The first rule for students is don't throw random parts at the car. Second rule for students is act on knowlege and not on fantasy.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #17
Drizzles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 964
My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
The first rule for students is don't throw random parts at the car. Second rule for students is act on knowlege and not on fantasy.
Except when it comes to Preventative maintenance, hey GN

And, well, as a general rule, I TRY not to throw random parts at my car as it scratches the paint
__________________
Drizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
NathanJ
OEM ///Member
 
NathanJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Townsville, Australia
Posts: 151
My Ride: 1998 BMW 323i E46
I'm the bloke from Townsville with the 323i! Lol. I bet I've seen you at Uni!

In seriousness, if you can avoid it, ie. Don't need a part ASAP, don't buy parts from BMW Townsville. When I first got my bim they charged me close to a grand for 5 ignition coils ( 1 had just been replaced) and wanted $130 for a $50 ish valve cover gasket. But they can get parts usually the next day so it's kind of a trade off.

I don't know much about the M43, but give me a yell if you need a hand I can probably help out
NathanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #19
mbozz93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Townsville, Australia
Posts: 10
My Ride: BMW 318i E46
Hey
Thanks Everyone

I still don't have my car back
The mechanic only started looking at it today
Apparently there is a vacuum leak which they are trying to fix.
I'll let yous know how it goes

Nice to see some ppl from Townsville on here
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
mbozz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #20
Drizzles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 964
My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbozz93 View Post
Hey
Thanks Everyone

I still don't have my car back
The mechanic only started looking at it today
Apparently there is a vacuum leak which they are trying to fix.
I'll let yous know how it goes

Nice to see some ppl from Townsville on here
GL with the repair then, hope he knows what hes doing lol ... who'd you take it to?

As I said before, I'll be down on Wednesday if you need a hand, PM me if you want my mobile.
__________________
Drizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
318i, fuel, misfiring

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use