E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #21
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
just called bilstein for a warranty on one rear shock today.. found the classic sludgy grease on the rod and down the shock body last night. awesome.. lasted 8months.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #22
jaycard73

My Ride: '02 325xi
Let me get this straight, are you guys saying the cause of failure of these shocks are due to using H&R springs? Has anyone had their rear bilstein sports fail using oem or eibach? If there was some kind of manufacturing defect you would think Bilstein would issue a recall or the web would be flooded with more talk about it.

Having a lifetime warranty is great, but what good is it if you're constantly shelling out money to send them back, re-install, etc.

Anyone hear stories of Koni sports failing after relatively short use?
jaycard73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #23
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
^Well I just realized my right rear bilstein is leaking. I have the HDs with stock springs.

Heard some clanking last night, thought I broke another rear spring.

Do we know if the E36 M3 rears are the same length as xi bilsteins?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #24
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
I was unable to compare the two, but it is what Bilstein came up with for my Xi, to replace the Bilstein Sport model, no clue how it compares to the HD.
My feeling after some driving is that the ride is way smoother, the e46 ones cannot handle the job.
I was told to put the M3 shocks on as is, no need to reuse old bumpstops...
If i could get M3 front shocks I would in a second. The rear end feels 500% better than even a brand new E46 one.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #25
pjaneiro

My Ride: 2004 330IX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
^Well I just realized my right rear bilstein is leaking. I have the HDs with stock springs.

Heard some clanking last night, thought I broke another rear spring.

Do we know if the E36 M3 rears are the same length as xi bilsteins?
Same here !!! Stock XI sports springs with HD struts, now leaking... !!!!$!@@
pjaneiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #26
pjaneiro

My Ride: 2004 330IX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW View Post
I was unable to compare the two, but it is what Bilstein came up with for my Xi, to replace the Bilstein Sport model, no clue how it compares to the HD.
My feeling after some driving is that the ride is way smoother, the e46 ones cannot handle the job.
I was told to put the M3 shocks on as is, no need to reuse old bumpstops...
If i could get M3 front shocks I would in a second. The rear end feels 500% better than even a brand new E46 one.
Hum...let me guess our roads destroyed your shocks too ? Same boat as you, Got HD struts as i am/was a bilstein fan, i said to myself, they never deceived me, now after a bit less than 6 months, both are leaking...come on...

Where did you get yours ? I want with Essex, just learned of their retrun policy... Another great turn down...
pjaneiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #27
Kubica

OK Ok. I had an in-depth conversation with Keith at Bilstein East today.

They are sending me out some "experimental" 46mm shocks. It doesn't sound like there will be two versions (HD and Sport) for these experimental xi shocks.

I asked him many other questions, even some that I knew the answer to already- he knows his stuff. I found it interesting that he said I could use either the HDs or Sport's with either stock springs or eibach springs. ***The difference between the two is the Sports are 20mm shorter than the HDs. This is so if you use really low, shorts springs, they don't fall right out of the perch if a rear wheel becomes unloaded.

Also, I don't believe they are the exact same shock as an e36 M3 shock. I will post measurements and part numbers when they get here.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #28
SharkmanBMW

The part # I was sent is indeed for the E36 M3.
I am very curious if you get the same shock as they sent me.
KeeP us informed!

@PJaneiro, the roads aren't the only reason, these shocks are just problematic!
Why did Essex deny yOu warranty???
Call direct to Bilstein, "pot hole damage" is not covered, but, it is no secret this model is prone to failure, therefore I would insist on n/c warranty replacement.
Canadians - watch out if they ship UPS, you will get charged Brokerage - $ 40 for one shock, $95 for a box of 2.....
They credited me each time, it seems they would rather throw money out the window than teach their shipper how to properly do his job!
This whole issue cost me about 4 times what I Paid for my shocks in the first place.
If the 46mm shocks do not last, I will lose it.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #29
JDUTHIE

So if the e36 M3 rears work fine, what about the fronts? any input
JDUTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #30
hammerheart

My Ride: 02 330XI
XI fronts are different with RWD models. I don't think there is any interchangeable shock from other models available.
hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #31
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUTHIE View Post
So if the e36 M3 rears work fine, what about the fronts? any input
The front bilsteins are rock solid. I inquired about that as well- almost a zero failure rate for the xi fronts.

Interestingly, the problem with the rears is mainly an xi issue- the RWD version has a much lower failure rate. He mentioned the engineers are looking at extreme side-load forces causing the failure, not hitting bumps.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #32
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
Kubica, keep us posted on this. If i can get these "experimental" shocks instead of the sport replacements next time i definitely will. Do you think they could be used with H&R sport springs? (15mm spring pad is still in place).

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #33
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Kubica, keep us posted on this. If i can get these "experimental" shocks instead of the sport replacements next time i definitely will. Do you think they could be used with H&R sport springs? (15mm spring pad is still in place).
Yes, they should work with stock, Eibach, or H&R springs.

I'll keep you updated- hopefully they'll be on the car this weekend.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #34
JDUTHIE

So i might aswell just wait until those "EXPERIMENTAL" 46 MM'S arent sooo experimental and just buy all four at once huh?
JDUTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #35
ega2081

My Ride: 2002 330xi
I had the HR sports and Bilstein sports all ready to go on my 330xi. Read this post, drove to BAV AUTO and exchanged the Bilstein sports for the the E36 M-3 shocks and picked up some new mounts as well. It will be all done on Monday, hopefully along with new front axles.

This is all new suspension for me, so I want be able to compare, however I will keep everyone updated on how they are performing in general. Ill post some before and after pics as well.

Called Sharkman right up and chatted about this set up. I feel better about the purchase and I think the extra money for the M3 rears will pay off.

Im thinking this "experimental" shock they are talking about is probably the M3 shock, unless he said otherwise?
ega2081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #36
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Anyone know who has the cheapest prices for these be5-2453-h1 aka 24-024532? I'm about to swap mine...already bought the E46 sports one, but really do not want to end up a victim like what I have seen on here, so I may as well pay now than pay later.

EDIT: BAVAUTO seems to be the cheapest at ~$132.

Last edited by genuity; 04-16-2011 at 10:04 PM.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #37
ega2081

My Ride: 2002 330xi
i was just going to say, BAV AUTO has some great prices on Bilstein products
ega2081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #38
SharkmanBMW

Good luck guys, please remember to snap pics before & after.
It looks to me like the rear of my car is slightly higher than before.

***As per Bilstein instructions - install the M3 shock AS IS, do not remove rubber boot, do not reuse old bump stops...
Bolt on & GO!

I would highly recommend putting the Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts, or any upgraded RSM while you are at it.

Last edited by SharkmanBMW; 04-17-2011 at 12:16 AM.
SharkmanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #39
Kubica

Shocks are installed.

They feel very similar to the HDs before they blew out- only drove about 20 miles so far but my initial impression is positive.

A few notes on the install:

-I believe they are the same piece as the E36 M3 sport shocks
-Top nut is 17mm, instead of 16mm
-The top of the piston accepts a hex bit or allen key, which makes securing the 17mm top nut much easier than the xi HDs
-The 'experimental' shocks are 10mm shorter then the HDs when fully extended (HDs are 12mm shorter than stock shocks).
-I transfered the lower cup, RSM, and top cup from the old assembly- that's it.
-I did not transfer the small washer that sits below the lower cup (I need to confirm this is correct).
-No need to transfer the boot, the M3 shocks come with a blue boot
-Shock body is approximately an inch shorter than the HDs or stock

Photos compare OEM, Bilstein HD for xi, and Bistein Sport for E36 M3 (not sure why they posted upside-down):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-40.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	400569   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-35.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	400570   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-38.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	400571  

Last edited by Kubica; 04-17-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #40
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferngreen 325xi View Post
Well, I can join the club with a blown out rear shock on our xi wagon. The Bilstein's are roughly a year old and when I changed out the snows yesterday, I noticed the passenger side rear shock covered with road grit and oil. I put the Bilstein HD shocks on for that was the only kit available for the xi wagon. I called TMS about the issue and they are sending me out a new replacement shock. I will then send the old one back to them or inspection. If the shock is deemed defective, they will cover the cost. According to the rep I spoke with, BMW's shock geometry causes undo strain on the shock tower area therefore causing the seal in the upper shock portion to leak.

I got this same problem and explanation from the TMS staff. My rears lasted less than a year.

Having them swapped out under warranty, but what a PITA.