E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
MyNewRag

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
Glove box and central locking security

Obviously, I like to park with the top down at times...so here is my dilema

I set my alarm and the doors, trunk, glove box all lock....GOOD
I reach in and try to open the door, it will not open....GOOD
I try the trunk and glove box, can not open....GOOD
I try the trunk release button (footwell), it is disabled...GOOD

I reach in and hit the unlock button (center console), doors stay locked, trunk release is still disabled....but glove box is accessible....BAD

I reach for my door handle and pull, the door unlocks....BAD
Trunk release is still disabled....GOOD
I open the door, and the alarm goes off...GOOD

It seems to me that if the alarm is set, and you have activated central locking, you should not be able to unlock any device by using the unlock button. I can continue to hit the unlock button (prior to opening the door(s)) and nothing happens. No sounds, no relock, no more unlocking of the doors.

So, is this normal? is there some programming that should keep the glove box locked?

I had an E36 and you could not unlock the car without the keyfob or the key in the door (there was not an unlock button inside the car) so you could not get in the glove box, when the car was locked.

I know the glove box is not the most secure spot in the car with the top down, but, with it locked, it helps keep the honest people honest.

I can lock the glove box manually , but then it is locked all the time and I would need the key to get in.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
I can't really help other than to concur; my car has this exact behavior. I'm wondering if it's for safety -- on my E36 you could actually lock someone inside the car, where their only hope for escape would be to slice the convertible top.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
mach.schnell

My Ride: 08/2000 330Cic x2
Interesting. If I lock with the remote and the top down, the glove box locks. If I unlock the remote once (driver's side door) the glove box unlocks. But I hadn't thought to check this with the center main lock button. Both of my 2001's had broken wires inside the glove box latch which I had to re-solder. (And there's something about locking the glove box with the handle half open - which seems to put my car in valet mode. But I've not quite figured this out yet.

I'll get back to you on this.
mach.schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
robmpulse

My Ride: E46 330i Mtech + E30
if you roll up the windows, how do you reach the glove box without opening the door, let alone the door lock button???

Tired of seeing cabrio specific info showing up in your search results when you don't have a cabrio?

Either way, head over here and VOTE! Everyone can benefit. It takes only mins to actually set up, so there really is no good reason not to have one!!!

Click here to submit your vote!
robmpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
ALMSBMW

My Ride: 2001 330CI convertib
Maybe it is to keep you from getting locked in the car if the windows are up
ALMSBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
MyNewRag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
I can't really help other than to concur; my car has this exact behavior. I'm wondering if it's for safety -- on my E36 you could actually lock someone inside the car, where their only hope for escape would be to slice the convertible top.
Yeah, my E36 was the same way, no unlock button inside. Pulling on the door handle did no good.

I can see the button unlocking the door, but I would think that the glove box should stay locked.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
MyNewRag

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmpulse View Post
if you roll up the windows, how do you reach the glove box without opening the door, let alone the door lock button???
This is all with the assumption that the windows and top are down. I like to keep the windows down when the top is down.