E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
casper91

My Ride: BMW 320d se e46
Question Cabin air filter replacement for e46 320d

Hi guys, im new to this forum so hope i posted it in the correct place. I was wondering do any of you have a step by step guide (inc pics) on how to replace the air filter that is filtering the air coming to the interior. I looked around google but the only thing that comes up is air filter and the turbo breather filter, which is already done

On another note, anyone has a K&N air filter upgrade fitted? advantages and disadvantages of fitting one? thanks

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Replacing the cabin air filter is as easy as loosening the 3 plastic screws, removing the cover, replacing the filter, and reinstalling the cover. This video may help:

http://www.bmwvideoclips.com/watch-b...r-replacement/

And here's a combined DIY with video: http://www.bmpdesign.com/technical/e...er_install.php

On the engine air filter, I don't like oiled filters, as some have over-oiled the filter and mucked up their MAF.

Last edited by Sansho; 04-20-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Sansho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
casper91

My Ride: BMW 320d se e46
thanks man, my fault, u see i was looking in there and there was no filter, so i thought its not the place for it so now i have to buy a filter as there is nothing there.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
superfreak

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Should take you 5 minutes
superfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
El Polo

My Ride: 99 black 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfreak View Post
Should take you 5 minutes
Including beer break...

Sorry if this post doesn't make sense. I am writing on a cell phone.
El Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper91 View Post
Hi guys, im new to this forum so hope i posted it in the correct place. I was wondering do any of you have a step by step guide (inc pics) on how to replace the air filter that is filtering the air coming to the interior. I looked around google but the only thing that comes up is air filter and the turbo breather filter, which is already done

On another note, anyone has a K&N air filter upgrade fitted? advantages and disadvantages of fitting one? thanks
They could be found on Amazon/Ebay and many sponsors here on the forums. It take literally 1-2 min. max

I suggest going with the carbon air filter. There are some cotton ones out there but they don't filter out as much and require cleaning more often. At least that's how it was in my last 2 cars.

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote