E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #21
duhprez

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Cabrio
Hitchpin mod

As the OP of the hitchpin mod, thought I'd give you a hand.

I also searched for a possible solution for a long time. I noted some ridiculous suggestions with using very cumbersome brackets, etc. I even tried going to a BMW dealer asking for some ideas. They told me it wasn't supposed to fall down and if it did, I should replace my windscreen. Talk about not having a clue!

So I came up with something that is really fast, simple, very inexpensive (cost of the hitchpins), very subtle and doesn't damage the windscreen at all. But it will make the difference between keeping your windscreen up on a high cross wind and having it fall down.

Open up your windscreen but fold in the end screen section. The idea is so that you have clear access to drill a small pin size hole in the rotating joint part of the windscreen. Drill a hole at a point that is as close to the horizontal flat screen section (once mounted on the car) so that the hitch pin will catch to make a tight secure fit. Use a small drill bit.

Once the hole is drilled, mount the windscreen on your Bimmer and insert the hitchpins to prevent the screen from falling down. That's it - you're done! If you're really anal about the look, you can take one more step and spray paint the pins flat black or find some black anodized hitch pins (I haven't found any yet).

To help illustrate, I've posted some pictures below.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by duhprez; 05-09-2010 at 02:02 PM.
duhprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #22
rick chi-town

My Ride: '02 330Cic & '08 X5
here's another thing to consider for those of you e46fanatics who are 6'6" and above... as I have the seat all the way back, with the seatback leaned back for a comfortable driving position for me. The windscreen mounting holes are too far forward and I have to scoot the seat up, and straighten up the pitch in order for it to fit. The result is my seat almost too far forward for me to enjoy long road trips. I have not found a solution other than no screen and alot of wind. Bummer really too, as that was one of my deciding factors on the E46 vert, because it does have a fairly normal back seat and I knew I could put my seat vback w/no one behind me. I looked at Porsche Boxters prior and would probably have bought one of those other than a firewall that did't allow for any rear seat incline. oh well, one of thje drawbacks of being tall, I suppose.
rick chi-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #23
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
6'6" is a lot to put anywhere!!

Possibly time for a Bentley Turbo R Vert?

Maybe it is time to mod the seatback and not the windscreen! LOL

duhprez,

Thanks for the additional hitch/hair pin mod. I was quick to to this as the it does not take long before the windscreen drops while you are driving and can startle you a bit. As I said in a previous post, its not if, but when it drops!
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #24
capnmark4

My Ride: 2006 M3 Cabriolet
Thanks duhprez that helps a lot! I'll be picking up some R-clips this week
capnmark4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #25
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Exclamation

I thought I would throw in this piece of info so no one makes the same mistake I did.

When doing a search for windscreens on another forum, I came across several threads taking about how good the Audi A4 windscreen was, and that it was a perfect fit for "our cars".
What I failed to pay attention to was the search feature took me to those threads in the E36 section, not the E46 section.
So I came across a perfect condition A4 windscreen and bought it. Needless to say when I got it home it did not fit. You can tell it is a high quality windscreen as others had claimed, but even with the extension pins fully extended, it does not fit.
It seems as if our back seats might be a little wider/larger than the E36's.

Regardless, do not make the same mistake I did.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #26
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I feel your pain here, I had seen a lot of info about the Audi windscreen in the BMW, however, I just did not trust this info based upon what I had read in a number of forums.

So I opted for the OEM BMW folding windscreen, which I am very happy with.

I have had to pull it out a few times to store it in the trunk, I keep the windscreen case in the trunk as it has somewhat hard sides so I can feel safe something will not poke or tear the screen fabric.

Would be nice to know if there really are any other good options for the E46, just to give drivers a choice if they want one.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #27
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
^ Well according to pictures and BMW owner feedback the Audi windscreen is the way to go if you have an E36. You can tell it is a quality made item, and it would have suited my needs because I am a big guy (it allows the seat to go further back). I also liked the idea of being able to pop it out without having to open the roof cover. I will just go ahead and sell this one.

I guess I will just wait until I can find a OEM for a decent price. I just missed one on ebay a few weeks ago that went for $200 + shipping.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #28
glamdring71

My Ride: 2004 325ci Vert
My new (used) vert came with the windscreen, and I LOVE it. However, with two kids, I find myself taking it in and out a lot.

A few questions:

1) Has there ever been any official answer if this is designed to stay in the car when opening and closing the top? I do it all the time. The only problem is that the little feet get caught under hard cover, and when it's time to take the screen out, I have to tug it to get them loose. This is beginning to damage the little feet. Am I doing something wrong?

2) Has anyone else ever had the mesh fabric blow loose? On one of my triangular folding panels, hard gusts of wind have pulled the fabric out of the rubber stripping. I had to pull over and push it back together. I'm thinking about adding a drop of superglue next time it happens. Any other experiences/suggestions?

Also...glad to see the new vert forum!!
glamdring71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #29
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdring71 View Post
My new (used) vert came with the windscreen, and I LOVE it. However, with two kids, I find myself taking it in and out a lot.

A few questions:

1) Has there ever been any official answer if this is designed to stay in the car when opening and closing the top? I do it all the time. The only problem is that the little feet get caught under hard cover, and when it's time to take the screen out, I have to tug it to get them loose. This is beginning to damage the little feet. Am I doing something wrong?

2) Has anyone else ever had the mesh fabric blow loose? On one of my triangular folding panels, hard gusts of wind have pulled the fabric out of the rubber stripping. I had to pull over and push it back together. I'm thinking about adding a drop of superglue next time it happens. Any other experiences/suggestions?

1)when I need to take mine out I just drop the top a little until the boot lid comes up then I take the windscreen out.

2)theres a post on here on how to put a pin in the frame to keep it from collapsing...(scroll up a few posts)
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #30
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
Quote:

A few questions:

1.) Keep the tabs under the cover and open the soft top cover to release it when you want to remove it. Dont yank on it or try to pull it out while its shut under there. Ive heard of some people leaving those rubber feet out on top of the soft top cover by the seats so they can just remove it w/o having to open/close the top

2.) Havent heard of that issue but it doesnt sound like anything some super glue cant fix. Keep it clean and dont use too much though!

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #31
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:

If you mean can you leave the screen in place (either up or down) while putting the top up; and you don't mean removing the screen without opening the top's cover, then I would say yes.

I regularly operate the top with the screen in vertical position and there's no interference. Headliner does drape on it a little, but it's not a problem.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #32
pauljcl

My Ride: 2005 330cic
The little 'feet' are designed to go under the hood cover. This secures the windscreen. When you want to install the windscreen or remove it, you should life the cover (e.g. by starting the top open/close) and, when the cover is slightly lifted, remove or install the windscreen.
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:56 AM   #33
steve330

My Ride: '05 330cic
There's a used one for sale for $250 AUS ($238 US) from a fanatic in Australia, don't know about the shipping though.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=838191

On his deathbed:
Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.
- Oscar Wilde
steve330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #34
bbqbob

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci Vert
The replacement part numbers for the windscreen dogleg/snubbers that go under the closing top cover that lock the horizontal portion of the windscreen are : Left 54317037389 $25.80
Right 54317037390 $25.80 . Not cheap but if you gotta have em, you gotta have em.
bbqbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #35
Mulatto325

My Ride: 325ci convertible
I have been reading about the winds screen for while now. I think next time I see one for a decent price I'll pick one up. Sounds like I won't be disappointed.

My tops down, its upset.
>>>Mulatto325<<< Build thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...087&highlight=
Mulatto325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #36
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Definitely recommend them, especially for freeway driving with your gal in the car. To the other post, who has kids, I do too and taking it off and on is a little of a chore, but as the others said, don't rip it, raise your top so the lid comes up. John

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #37
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
I like my windscreen, it seems to work the best with the windows rolled up about 5 inches. The only problem I had was on a really windy day it kept blowing down. I also only paid $120 for a brand new one on eBay!

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #38
glamdring71

My Ride: 2004 325ci Vert
When you guys close the lid on the little rubber feet, how much does it smash them? Mine are pressed almost flat, and one has a hole in it now. I'm wondering if I've bent the little legs and they are mis-positioned. Anyone got a good close pic of where they fit?
glamdring71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #39
Captj27

My Ride: BMW 330Ci, auto conv
Bought mine on eBay last year for $150, plus shipping. We love it as it makes a huge difference when driving even on the interstate. The "little feet" are ment to fit under the cover to the soft top. When in position these feet secure the screen and make it more difficult if someone tries to steal it.

durprez, nice idea on using the carter pins to hold the screen up.

When I bought my 2009 it came with a wind screen which is of a different size then the one that fits the E46. Don't think I would now own another one of these models without an OEM screen.

Joe
Captj27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #40
steve330

My Ride: '05 330cic
I've had my vert for 5 months now. The person I bought it from had never used the windscreen, never even taken it out of the bag, so it was effectively new. I use it all the time, including country driving. It has never blown down, even when passing huge trucks on the other side of the road at a combined speed of 200 kmh.
So I'm wondering if there is a wear factor, the older it gets, the more likely it is to blow down, or am I just lucky?

On his deathbed:
Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.
- Oscar Wilde
steve330 is offline   Reply With Quote