E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 337 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #41
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
You probably have to set it up with a Google account to make the market work. Go to settings -> accounts and add your gmail account, or create one if you don't currently have one.
I tried that but I think that the market app is trying to get access through a cell network instead of the wifi....since there is not cellular hardware attached this results in an obvious error. I tried pandora as well (downloaded through a third party site). It installed but also had a network error. Could be a setting or maybe you android hackers have some work to do.

Im going to talk to dynavin tonight to see if it is something I am doing wrong or if it is in need of some software to redirect things through the wifi connection.

EDIT: time/date bug was causing a bunch of issues. Firmware updated, problem solved.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-07-2011 at 12:31 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #42
okeydokey

My Ride: 2000 328ci TopazBlau
I obviously dont have a android dynavin, but I have an android phone. You can disable mobile network data, by going to settings> wireless> mobile network > disable mobile data.
There is also a mobile connection configuration section, I don't know if it exists in the Dynavin
Press *#*#4636#*#* to bring up Testing screen,
Go to Phone Information ,
Press menu button on the phone,
Select More,
Tap on Disable data connection.
With the wireless data disabled hopefully it will force it to use Wifi.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #43
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Hey Jeff, can you give us storage stats on the Android part? (Settings -> Applications -> Storage Use) It will show used/free at the bottom, under "Internal storage" (I think 2.2 is similar - I'm running cyanogenmod 7 nightly 51 on my Desire CDMA (2.3/Gingerbread))

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #44
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
I obviously dont have a android dynavin, but I have an android phone. You can disable mobile network data, by going to settings> wireless> mobile network > disable mobile data.
There is also a mobile connection configuration section, I don't know if it exists in the Dynavin
Press *#*#4636#*#* to bring up Testing screen,
Go to Phone Information ,
Press menu button on the phone,
Select More,
Tap on Disable data connection.
With the wireless data disabled hopefully it will force it to use Wifi.
nah....tried that, its already dissabled. Most of the unit uses the wifi no problem, its just certain apps that dont seem to see the network. Time will tell....

The dynaivn has no phone part so it doesnt have the other thing you note.

Quote:
Hey Jeff, can you give us storage stats on the Android part? (Settings -> Applications -> Storage Use) It will show used/free at the bottom, under "Internal storage" (I think 2.2 is similar - I'm running cyanogenmod 7 nightly 51 on my Desire CDMA (2.3/Gingerbread))
the menus are different......but I did find "internal storage" elsewhere.....does 137MB sound right? Keep in mind this isnt the latest greatest hardware here, its probably a generation or two old....if it were the brand new stuff I think it would cost WAY too much.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-28-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #45
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
the menus are different......but I did find "internal storage" elsewhere.....does 137MB sound right? Keep in mind this isnt the latest greatest hardware here, its probably a generation or two old....if it were the brand new stuff I think it would cost WAY too much.
Sounds about average. How much free? Any info from Dynavin on root-ability?

As for the phone part, you could try installing a third party dialer app to potentially try that. I use Dialer One on cyanogenmod. I'll post a link to the apk that you can throw on an SD card soon.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Last edited by jneumann; 04-28-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #46
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Sounds about average. How much free? Any info from Dynavin on root-ability?

As for the phone part, you could try installing a third party dialer app to potentially try that. I use Dialer One on cyanogenmod. I'll post a link to the apk that you can throw on an SD card soon.

looks like 137MB free. No idea about root-ability. Ive been an iOS guy for years (sacrilege in this thread ) so while I can tell you all the ins and outs of jailbreaking, cydia, and all that stuff, Android and rooting is new to me. While the concepts are the same, its is obviously completely different in practice. Im going to leave that stuff up to you guys.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #47
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
looks like 137MB free. No idea about root-ability.
Decent amount free compared to what my phone had free, stock.

Here is DialerOne - that will give you a dialer app to try the trick posted earlier.
http://dialerone.googlecode.com/files/DialerOne_1.3.apk

I emailed Dynavin for more info about the Android side of things. Here's to hoping they respond back, and with something helpful.

Last edited by jneumann; 04-28-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #48
jim_0068

My Ride: Audi A3
Hello Guys

I'm been a lurker here for a while as i am a (gasp!) Audi A3 owner and recently purchased a Dynavin for my car and am anxiously looking forward to an android version (eventually). However i wouldn't mind helping with this for the android testers.

I have a question and also i have some information:

1) Android is software, not hardware...so i don't know why there isn't a way to get android on the Win CE units. Now if the hardware itself isn't compatible with Android that's a different story but even then i don't know how it wouldn't be. Can you elaborate on this?

2) Getting android to connect to an ad-hoc network is virtually impossible without rooting your phone and in this case, the dynavin unit. For Jeff, rooting is like jailbreaking your iphone. You need to root the phone and install some files that allow the ad-hoc connection. Natively Android SEES the ad-hoc wifi network but it also natively (dumb decision here) won't show it in your network list OR allow you to connect. However with a rooted device and applying a patch it will work. Until this happens you WILL have to install a standalone GPS app.

^^ To expand on 2 above, android on this device without being able to connect to your phone via ad-hoc is gonna suck.

HOWEVER

Jeff did you see if the device gives you root access? I'm doubting it though.

-------

Looking forward to helping with this.
jim_0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #49
jim_0068

Quote:
Decent amount free compared to what my phone had free, stock.

Here is DialerOne - that will give you a dialer app to try the trick posted earlier.
http://dialerone.googlecode.com/files/DialerOne_1.3.apk

I emailed Dynavin for more info about the Android side of things. Here's to hoping they respond back, and with something helpful.
Good call on trying dialierone; however if the mobile data is disabled in the firmware it won't matter BUT we may be able to make VOIP calls using a tethered connection and a VOIP client.

But as i mentioned previously, unless we can root the device and get it fixed to see an ad-hoc network it is going to suck.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #50
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_0068 View Post
Hello Guys

I'm been a lurker here for a while as i am a (gasp!) Audi A3 owner and recently purchased a Dynavin for my car and am anxiously looking forward to an android version (eventually). However i wouldn't mind helping with this for the android testers.

I have a question and also i have some information:

1) Android is software, not hardware...so i don't know why there isn't a way to get android on the Win CE units. Now if the hardware itself isn't compatible with Android that's a different story but even then i don't know how it wouldn't be. Can you elaborate on this?

Jeff did you see if the device gives you root access? I'm doubting it though
I emailed Dynavin to inquire about root access/source code/etc. No reply yet.
I don't know much about the WinCE hardware, but I figured someone would have tried it by now if it was easy.

Also, no adhoc support really isn't that big of an issue. IOS 4 has infrastructure mode tether support I believe, and any rooted Android phone has infrastructure mode tether support.

Jeff - If it does have root access (probably doesn't), it will likely have a Superuser app in the apps menu.

Last edited by jneumann; 04-28-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #51
jim_0068

I wonder if the supplied hardware is different to SUPPORT android, meaning more RAM and internal memory; that would be more logical.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #52
jneumann

Quote:
I wonder if the supplied hardware is different to SUPPORT android, meaning more RAM and internal memory; that would be more logical.
Probably. Beefier processor too I would assume. I asked Dynavin about that as well.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #53
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
I believe that Jeff has mentioned 3 times already that both the software and hadware for the GPS side have changed with the Android version.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #54
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
I believe that Jeff has mentioned 3 times already that both the software and hadware for the GPS side have changed with the Android version.
Yeah, we're aware of that, but since Android has been ported to damn near every new piece of hardware lately, we were just speculating why they moved to different hardware, thereby making it probably damn near impossible for current WinCE Dynavin owners from updating the WinCE side to Android.

From what I have heard, it is using a board designed to run Android, from TI, and therefore probably beefier and better suited to run Android than the WinCE hardware. Low power suspend ability maybe? (i.e. boot android side, and never turn it off so it's always on and ready to go as soon as you get in the car)

Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #55
J&T Distributing

the hardware is from TI.....it is android specific...totally different than the hardware on the windows units....android can not run on the dynavin windows hardware...WinCE works but (in tech terms) it is OLD and its hardware is OLD....android needs newer faster beefier everything....no speculation necessary.

As far as root access goes, I dont know what im looking for but I have been through every menu and it is all standard stuff. How to root it....thats up to you guys.

As far as the ad hoc wifi thing goes....I upgraded my iphone yesterday and all is well.

OFF TOPIC: Jim 0068.....I had an 07 Audi A3 2.0 turbo DSG Sline......absolutely fantastic car. I sold it a couple years ago though....had a baby, bought a bigger house, bigger car for the wife and baby, and the economy fell off the cliff all at the same time and I had too much money tied up in cars, thats how I ended up with an BMW E46, and how I ended up here, interesting where the forks in the road take you....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-28-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #56
lawboy77

My Ride: BMW 325ci
I apologise if this has been asked/answered numerous times, but as I'm new to this forum, and really don't have time to read hundreds of previous posts, I thought I'd just ask it here...anyways, I've just ordered one of the android units and was wondering if any 3G USB modem on one of the Australian mobile networks can be plugged in or does it have to be a dynavin modem?

Thanks,
lawboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:53 AM   #57
m3evolution

My Ride: M3
Did Dynavin include the USB Wifi Antenna with the Android units or do you have to buy that separately? How much does it cost if you had to buy it?
m3evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #58
N4NOOK

My Ride: 323ci
So. Much. Win.
N4NOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #59
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawboy77 View Post
I apologise if this has been asked/answered numerous times, but as I'm new to this forum, and really don't have time to read hundreds of previous posts, I thought I'd just ask it here...anyways, I've just ordered one of the android units and was wondering if any 3G USB modem on one of the Australian mobile networks can be plugged in or does it have to be a dynavin modem?

Thanks,
Dont know yet.....if it is anything like the windows version you will need the dynavin one as there are special drivers on the unit for that particular modem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3evolution View Post
Did Dynavin include the USB Wifi Antenna with the Android units or do you have to buy that separately? How much does it cost if you had to buy it?
Us dealers buy them separate from dynavin.....but for this first round I bought one wifi for every unit and I am including them. I think I will probably continue this as it simplifies things a lot.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #60
wolrah

My Ride: 2002 325i MT
If you figure out how to get Market working, can you please install Android System Info and take as many shots as you can of the information on the "System" tab? I'd like to know what hardware we're dealing with here so we can get an idea of what the performance will be like.

I'm so pleased to see this too. I have long been eyeing Dynavin units, but Windows CE is just so limiting. Android opens up a ton of possibilities, so I love that my vehicle is the first to have a proper OEM-looking option for in-dash Android (even beating Saab's upcoming OEM unit). Here's hoping that the interest expressed in this thread turns in to enough sales to convince the makers to put this in to production fully.

The only complaint I can see so far as already brought up is the touch screen. Almost all of us who have Android devices are used to multitouch, so using the same software both with and without it would be very hard to get used to. I guarantee that a number of people will try to pinch zoom in Google Maps and get frustrated when it doesn't work.

e: Also please pass on to any relevant contacts that equipping it with an unlocked or unlockable bootloader can never do harm and will likely mean better support for their platform since it'll be much easier for hobbyists to improve the ROM. I bought my Evo because it was the most feature-laden rootable phone on the market at the time. I know I'm not the only one who does this, and anyone who cares what OS their head unit is running likely thinks like I do.
Electronics: Passport 8500 X50, DICE HD, Cobra 29 NW/WX/ST + Larsen NMO27B, Yaesu VX-7R + no-name 2M/70cm NMO

Last edited by wolrah; 04-29-2011 at 10:00 AM.
wolrah is offline   Reply With Quote