E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
newtuner

My Ride: '04 330CI, M package
Vanos repair.

I got all the parts I need to do the double Vanos repair as well as the rattle fix. I am using the Besian procedures as how to fix the unit. The first step is to remove my mechanical fan and shroud. In trying to do this I think I flexed or damaged a coolant fitting. Some coolant leaked out, I ran the car and didn't see a leak or any coolant spraying out. I will continue to monitor the "leak". My question is can I do the repair without removing the fan? I can see catching the oil from inside the Vanos a little harder, but everything else should be ok.
newtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
mustang67

My Ride: 2000 328I
I did them on my 2000 328i I would remove the fan. There is not a lot of room up there and the fan still being there will make you very unhappy. Don't ask how I got the fan off I worked on it and I was about to give up and I turned around and my Dads had got it off. I think it's a age and leason thing Dad are good for them. I would see if can rent a wrench from Autozone or such to take it off.

Mustang
mustang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
If your car is an automatic, you could have very well pierced one of the veins of your radiator while trying to remove the mechanical fan. If so, you'll need to replace the radiator (or have it repaired/welded by a local radiator shop) they'll charge you like $20. First find out where the leak came from. Did it spray out in a fine mist/stream?

And no, it will be next to impossible to do this with the fan installed. If you can't remove the fan, you have no business proceeding any further. You will harm your car.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
newtuner

My Ride: '04 330CI, M package
Thanks for the feed back guys. I don't think the leak came from the radiator as it sits on the other side of the fan. I know where the leak came from, the hose coupling that runs over the fan pulley. It's a 1.5" hose OT something like that. There hasn't been anymore coolant on the floor, nor was there any spraying when I ran the car to operating temp. Just seems like you can flex that connection so much that coolant will spray out. I have the 32mm combo wrench and I tried to make the bar tool (as explained in another thread on here). That just resulted with a 1" cut on my forehead. Where can I pick up the fan tool, is this something I can buy through the dealer?
newtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yup, you have to remove the fan to do the job. I hate to say it but you might need to get a new radiator :/ Cost is around $140 shipped give or take from autohausaz.com
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote