E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
VERT Antenna

All, I've posted this before, but now that we have our own sub-forum someone might have a suggestion. My antenna has never gotten great reception, so I bought a "euro antenna". It's better, but not perfect. Strangely enough, the reception gets better when I touch the antenna, but it's as tight as it can go. Nothing seems loose on the connection inside the trunk. Any other suggestions for getting better reception using the same head unit? (Sorry the pic is sideways).
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	399502

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Gheybe

My Ride: Fiat Abart, F80 M3
Okay, from the top of my head and using my common sense, I can only think of one thing.

Assuming the antenna is in proper order and so is the head unit, it's gotta be the wiring somewhere in between. I think?
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
mach.schnell

My Ride: 08/2000 330Cic x2
BMW uses an aluminum thread to screw in the antenna, instead of steel. You will probably find some white-ish powder residue when you remove the antenna. I've been looking into various anti-corrosion agents for aluminum, and when I find one my wife likes (She's a metallurgist) I will let you know. And I will also let you know if that helps the AM squeal when braking.
mach.schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Gheybe

My Ride: Fiat Abart, F80 M3
^Awesome.
Can't wait to find out. I'm sure my reception could be better. I just figured it was the place I was at.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
mach.schnell

In the meanwhile I found this:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6343&highlight=
But as we all know the antenna system for verts are different than the others, and I didn't read the thread too closely. I just had it on file for later.

There are a few ideas here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109202
but also a lot of "noise" (i.e. unhelpful blathering) that has to be waded through.
One of the better posts in this thread is:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=19

One poster said, "Isn't it odd that a threaded cable which is screwed in like that could lose connection over time just from typical road bumps? " I'm not sure that's what happened. I doubt the connection came loose. My guess is that fiddling around loosened up some of the corrosion on the aluminum BMW uses, but I just will not have time to do my own fiddling until Monday.

I found that a lot of "dead batteries" on the road (where people couldn't start their car and "needed a jump") had nothing to do with the battery, but the terminal corrosion. I always carried around a very thin long finishing nail and would lightly hammer this into the joint between the battery terminal and the cable. And poof - the car would start. Like magic. Quick. Easy. And didn't waste too much of my time getting them back on the road.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
johnrando

These are all good posts but I'm still thinking those don't apply to VERTS because of our antenna location?

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
Old 04-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
mach.schnell

I realize that but... there is still some kind of connection from the antenna into the amp, and some of the head units still may use a coax cable.

(See following: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=396131 although I have not checked this out yet - still raining.)

But there is corrosion in the threads where the vert antenna screws off.

I will be tracing the wires back from the antenna and let y'all know what I find.

Last edited by mach.schnell; 04-09-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
johnrando

Any luck yet?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
mach.schnell

Well.... it was 83 degrees F out yesterday, so there were a lot of t!tties out. Then it started raining just as I got back from an afternoon of twisties. Still raining, and will still rain tomorrow. So.... I did take some video of the AM radio freaking out, so I have to figure out how to post it. Patience. I move slowly when not driving. ;^)

Last edited by mach.schnell; 04-12-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
johnrando

LOL, no worries. Just looking forward to a possible resolution.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
mach.schnell

Had one nice day of weather Sun. So I had to clean out the drain holes in the top storage compartment. One friggin little maple tree seed (the helicopter kind) plugged that right up... inch of water in the spare tire well, and drips of water on the electronics.

Haven't forgotten y'all yet. But it's supposed to .... wait for it ... yes, rain the next two days.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
johnrando

Still holding out hope that you'll find a solution for us. :-)

Old 05-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
mach.schnell

Haven't forgotten. Just had both parents go into different hospitals (over an hour and a half), and my materials engineer went to a convention in GA. Then I got sidetracked with a low coolant level, and trying to find out if the back rear panels are leather or vinyl covered.. and so it goes. Also only to find out the ball joint in the front driver's is shot and "very dangerous" according to my mechanic - enough play to snap off during a turn (supposedly). Not trying to derail the thread, just having other things get in the way.