E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 354 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #81
lawboy77

My Ride: BMW 325ci
The Google maps caching sounds promising Jeff, but have you figured out a way of getting an offline nav app onto the unit either through the SD card or through market? I have one of these on order and am a bit concerned because I spend a huge amount of time on the road outside of any cellular coverage, so need a truly offline/GPS only nav app...
lawboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #82
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
I havent figured it out yet but I have literally only had a couple hours to mess with it....been too busy answering everyones questions! Also my android knowledge is kind of limited so im not the best person to figure this out (dont worry, im still trying). There are offline map apps out there so its just a matter of getting one installed. And worse case scenario we have dynavin go direct to sygic and have them set up a dynavin specific app that we can all buy from sygic.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-01-2011 at 12:30 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #83
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Hi Jeff,

It makes sense that you're getting google navigation to work even when your data connection dries up. Google navigation downloads all of the relevant information for your route when you first put the route in. The problem is getting back home....

When you're at your house (and presumably have internet), google nav will download everything you need to get to your destination and will not lose it if you never have an internet connection again. When you get to your destination and stop navigation though, you will need a new internet connection to be able to navigate back home. This is particularly problematic if you end up in the middle of nowhere.

Android is the obvious future, but it is a rather large problem if there are no apps (currently working) that can perform truly offline navigation.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #84
J&T Distributing

yeah, im going to be playing around with google nav for the next few days to see what its limitations are.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #85
TheKingSim0n

My Ride: BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to TheKingSim0n
Shouldn't be to much of an issue for people like myself who have Android phones that are tethered for net access. Should be fun to work with once I get my hands on it
TheKingSim0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #86
mtromszc

My Ride: NY
New Android Dynavin

I just placed my order with Jeff today. Did anyone already receive one of these bad boys? Any first impressions?
Thank You in advance
M
mtromszc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #87
maxse01

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Send a message via AIM to maxse01
hey guys,

i should be getting mine on friday. i did not go for the android unit, just the regular windows one. Jeff is a great guy as i'm sure most of you know, just wanted to throw out a to him.
2003.5 BMW M3- CB/Black Nappa 6 speed manual, Premium, Cold Weather, HK, Bi-Xenon, Moonroof, Width Adjustable seats, Factory Alarm, Khoalty 60LED Angel Eyes, 30% Tint all around, Dinan Stage 3 software, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan CAI, 19" VMR VB3's wrapped with 245/35f and 275/30r PS2's, CSL Brake upgade(waiting to be installed in the spring)
maxse01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #88
J&T Distributing

Got Pandora working.....I had an idea this morning and went looking for a bug that could be keeping it from working, did a workaround and bingo! It works! It turns out the "bug" is something ....unrelated... The network errors that we were discussing earlier had to do with an issue involving the system time. Its something that Dynavin has already been working on, so when it gets sorted out I will email you guys who have bought a unit the update so you wont have to fiddle with work arounds.

EDIT: time/date bug fixed. Firmware updated, problem solved.

And email:

And my homescreen is starting to come together.....apps, widgets, wallpaper....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-07-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:13 AM   #89
Scotty_89

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
So they've put their resources into rebuilding the nav side, which was already user upgradable?

What the hell. Why not fix the Radio first? I would have thought that was the most used side of the Dynavin.

Might be great news that they've made progress, but I'm still disappointed that they aren't targeting things that need improving first.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:25 AM   #90
Scotty_89

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
And wait....

About 1 month ago the word around everything Dynavin was "No plans for a v6, the v5 is as good as it gets."
So... I go ahead and buy a v5. Now it comes out that v6/android/new hardware has been in the works for almost 12 months... ??

Now I and many others are stuck with v5's, and they're going to be worthless. Why should we go upgrading to the next model every time Dynavin releases what is basically a fix for their already released product... big disappointment.

Last edited by Scotty_89; 05-02-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Scotty_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:27 AM   #91
N4NOOK

My Ride: 323ci
Scotty, the way it looks to me is that Dynavin customers are mainly interested in conectivity and not so much AM/FM transmissions.

I know for one, i do not listen to the radio these days, hell i don't even listen to CD's in the car anymore unless i'm burping the system or what not.
N4NOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #92
Jagular

My Ride: '04 645Ci
Frankly, I'd be more interested in a single interface just using Android and removing the dual use setup.
Jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #93
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

My Ride: All German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_89 View Post
And wait....

About 1 month ago the word around everything Dynavin was "No plans for a v6, the v5 is as good as it gets."
So... I go ahead and buy a v5. Now it comes out that v6/android/new hardware has been in the works for almost 12 months... ??

Now I and many others are stuck with v5's, and they're going to be worthless. Why should we go upgrading to the next model every time Dynavin releases what is basically a fix for their already released product... big disappointment.
I wouldnt consider older Dynavin units to be worthless. I just saw a used V3 sell for $550.

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #94
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Can't wait for this to be released!

Never liked the interface of the Dynavin but Android makes it much more appealing.
BUT. How is Android going to get a data connection, or will the maps be pre loaded?

Also, how will this unit compare to the stock HU in sound quality.
I've heard that the quality is a bit shy on the dynavin units compared to our stock HU.

Last edited by TrickTizzle; 05-02-2011 at 05:24 PM.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #95
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Can't wait for this to be released!

Never liked the interface of the Dynavin but Android makes it much more appealing.
BUT. How is Android going to get a data connection, or will the maps be pre loaded?

Also, how will this unit compare to the stock HU in sound quality.
I've heard that the quality is a bit shy on the dynavin units compared to our stock HU.
Data connection is over wifi, for most people, tethered to a smartphone. I have heard Dynavin units perform better then the stock HU, as long as you have the line out converters installed, or the firmware update that fixes the sound issue.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #96
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
Data connection is over wifi, for most people, tethered to a smartphone. I have heard Dynavin units perform better then the stock HU, as long as you have the line out converters installed, or the firmware update that fixes the sound issue.
The data connection solution is really dumb.

What if I'm in an area where I have no 4G or Data?
2G is useless, and takes forever to load.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #97
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
The data connection solution is really dumb.

What if I'm in an area where I have no 4G or Data?
2G is useless, and takes forever to load.
Not much Dynavin can do about it. They will be offering a 3G card, but using your cell phone will likely be much cheaper than buying a data plan for the Dynavin 3G card from AT&T/T-Mobile.

Last time I checked:
5gb data from AT&T - $60/mo
5gb data with US Cellular tethering on my phone - $25/mo
5gb data with free tethering through cyanogenmod on my phone - $0/mo

Google Maps does cache maps though, as Jeff mentioned earlier in the thread.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Last edited by jneumann; 05-02-2011 at 05:48 PM.
jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #98
J&T Distributing

and also as I mentioned offline maps are available for android, once the early adopters get the "go to" app figured out and running on the dynavin we will be all set.....

Old 05-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #99
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
and also as I mentioned offline maps are available for android, once the early adopters get the "go to" app figured out and running on the dynavin we will be all set.....
Would you happen to have any names off the top of your head?

I would like to research into them.

I'm still on the fence between Dynavin or OEM Nav retrofit...
Old 05-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #100
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtromszc View Post
I just placed my order with Jeff today. Did anyone already receive one of these bad boys? Any first impressions?
Thank You in advance
M
damn, i would have ordered with jeff but he said his were all accounted for.. ordered from another vendor that has them available

IR/IR 6 speed
opey is offline   Reply With Quote