E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #141
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Why not just stick with OE? It's not like the studs are expensive, less than $1 ea IIRC.

EDIT: If you're already in the middle of the job and can't wait for a special order part to come in, try taking one of the studs that came out to NAPA and see if they can match it for you.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 02-24-2011 at 10:21 AM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #142
SwapMag1c

My Ride: 2004 Z4 M54B30
stock studs removed are m7x1.0 39mm. ECS and others offer 30mm.

part number is 11127506203 btw.

Last edited by SwapMag1c; 03-07-2011 at 10:54 AM.
SwapMag1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #143
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
you will only notice a little power gain with headers. i strongly recommend getting a custom dyno tune to get full potential out of the headers and any mods you have installed. wakes your car up, it will pull much faster on the highway.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #144
SwapMag1c

My Ride: 2004 Z4 M54B30
got EBAY headers on now and there is the dreaded gap. will bolt up other side for time being and run to shop to remove resonator and muffler. tight tight fit with o2 sensors. the post cat o2's will be put up in a box for time being until i can get the right resistor. broke off 3 of the 4 studs that mount headers to exhaust. you replace them anyways. SAP was removed a while back along with washer fluid reservoir. reaching each nut is the HARDEST part of this i think.

2004 Z4 M54B30

Last edited by SwapMag1c; 03-07-2011 at 12:52 PM.
SwapMag1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #145
bwallace530

My Ride: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamann330ci View Post
E46 Header Installation Guide

Parts needed:

Aftermarket Headers (be sure you have the right one that fits your car)
OEM header gasket (Tischer BMW or local dealership)
Spark Plug Non-Foulers (found at local Auto store): http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...lug+non-fouler
Threadlocker or Loctight (found at local Auto store)
WD-40 (for loosening rusted nuts/bolts)
Masking or Blue painter’s tape (for labeling 02 sensors)

Tools needed:

Allen wrenches
Phillips screw driver
Rachet
10, 11 (short & long drive), 13, 16mm socket
11 and 22 mm open/box wrench
Pliers or Adjustable wrench
OEM Jack and/or Hydraulic Jacks
Jack stands

(modified version of dubplaya’s install guide)

1. Place your front wheels on ramps or jack stands.

----- Jack stands (especially for lowered vehicles): Use your OEM jack (or Hydraulic jack) to jack up either side of your car using the front jack point underneath the side skirt.
----- Now locate the center jack point underneath (There should be a circle indentation located in the front of the car right in the middle).
----- Once you find it use your second jack to lift the front end high enough in order to place the jack stands securely underneath the front jack points (underneath the side skirt)

(courtesy of berserker)

2. Remove the engine covers (four 10mm bolts), cabin filter and housing (four allen wrench bolts)

(courtesy of Minnoe07)

3. Remove the secondary air pump (three 10mm bolts). There’s two on the top and one on the bottom. Remove the connected plug.

(courtesy of Minnoe07)

**** At this point you can remove and label the top two 02 sensors (22mm) you see above with blue/masking tape (ex. L1, L2, R1, R2)

4. Remove the underbody tray cover (six screws with Phillips head). After you remove it, slide the cover towards the rear of the car.

(courtesy of Minnoe07)

5. Remove the metal subframe brace (eight 16mm bolts)

(courtesy of Minnoe07)

6. Support the bottom of the motor with a jack and 2x4

7. Unbolt the connecting ground wire from the car coming from the engine mount (13mm)

(courtesy of Minnoe07)

8. Unbolt the passenger side engine mount (four 13mm bolts)

9. Remove the bolt holding the passenger engine mount (16mm)

10. Remove Passenger Side engine mount.

**** At this point, you can label and remove the remaining two 02 sensors (22mm) you see below on the headers (ex. L1, L2, R1, R2)

11. Remove the OEM headers and gaskets(sixteen 11mm nuts, eight on each header)

----- You will be spending most of your time here at this point.
----- Start first on the header (longest one) closest to the front of the car.

**** At this point, you can take a break to soak the nuts and bolts w/ WD-40 removing the rust.

(courtesy of Minnoe07)

12. Install the new OEM gasket and aftermarket headers.

----- Start with the header closest to the front of the car because it will be easier to maneuver the second header in.
----- Make sure you apply Threadlocker or Loctight on the last couple of millimeters of thread before tightening.
----- Be sure to have a paper towel (or Q-tips) handy to wipe off any excess that forms around the hex nut because the product will harden. Do not get any of this stuff in your hair or eyes.

13. Re-install the 02 sensors and spark plug non-foulers in the correct locations

14. With the passenger engine mount, use a pair of pliers or adjustable wrench to remove the excess heat shield. This will help with header clearance.

15. Reverse steps 10 thru 1

----- If you’re having trouble getting the engine mount back in, start with one end (the side w/ four bolts) coming in towards the front of the car then turning it.
----- If you’re having trouble bolting the engine mount back on, start with two bolts in at first tightening them down one by one. Be sure not to strip any threads.
----- After you re-install the passenger side engine mount and ground wire. Start up the car to check and see if you have any leaks.
----- You will see some smoke rise off the headers at first from the Threadlock/Loctight, which will burn off after a few minutes.

Do you have the missing pics? They are no longer there and I am trying to find a good DIY for headers?

Thanks
bwallace530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #146
drumbum624

My Ride: 325xi
Send a message via AIM to drumbum624
post number 15 homeboy
Old 04-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #147
bwallace530

Thanks going to tackle this when I have a free weekend. Got to make sure I don't rush my self.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #148
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
does the airpump go back in? I know in my friends e36 ebay header install, we had to remove his airpump because it had nowhere to go and his car was throwin check engine lights because of it
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:09 AM   #149
drumbum624

Well just wanted to report that I am 10+hours in to the install and almost kindof have the stock headers out. Rusted xi's SUCK. I PB blasted everything but there was just tooooo much rust. so far I have 2.5/4 of the bolts off on the header to exhaust flanges. That took some serious grinding and cutting. Even my passenger engine mount was horribly rusted and the top bolt took much too much effort to remove. Up top I have header bank 1 disconnected and header bank 2 still has three bolts in it. I still cant pull the header bank 1 from the block! it is somewhat separated but will not pull off. I do not want to resort to cutting these guys apart but I may have to. I am hoping that once the stockies are out it will all be a breeze....too bad BMW doesnt allow that
Old 05-07-2011, 04:18 AM   #150
bwallace530

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum624 View Post
Well just wanted to report that I am 10+hours in to the install and almost kindof have the stock headers out. Rusted xi's SUCK. I PB blasted everything but there was just tooooo much rust. so far I have 2.5/4 of the bolts off on the header to exhaust flanges. That took some serious grinding and cutting. Even my passenger engine mount was horribly rusted and the top bolt took much too much effort to remove. Up top I have header bank 1 disconnected and header bank 2 still has three bolts in it. I still cant pull the header bank 1 from the block! it is somewhat separated but will not pull off. I do not want to resort to cutting these guys apart but I may have to. I am hoping that once the stockies are out it will all be a breeze....too bad BMW doesnt allow that
Scaring me man I'm doing this tomorrow afternoon. Do you have any tips advice. I am also doing my engine mounts.

Thanks and good luck

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 05-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #151
drumbum624

you have nothing to be scared of cause you arent xi. im tellin you i got under my friends 325i and theres LOADS of room down there. I could move in down there. but no only be worried if you are in an xi.
I am going to assume your process is going to actually resemble this DIY which is good lol. Just know going into it that some things are going to be rusted pretty bad and you may have to do some cutting. In terms of the block to header bolts, they are just a PITA to get to. I lifted my engine up a good 4 inches too and still had a fair amount of trouble and like i said those last three bolts remaining. Try to break off those dumb heat shields as soon as you can. I found that if you can get two of the top bolts on each header bank off the shields will then slide out making it easier for you to get to the remaining 4...well easierish. Look it isn't impossible, but it is work.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #152
bwallace530

Thanks for the quick response, usually it takes days for a good response lol! Well i will be doing this some time after 10 tomorrow, I will bring my computer with my just to be safe. And I have been trying to find the torque specs for the headers and engine mounts but cant find it do you happen to know them? because I am also replacing my mounts they are shot.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #153
drumbum624

I actually do not and im not sure if thats a bad thing...I hope someone else can chime in with some answers. I was going to do my engine mounts as well but then i realized that that would require me dropping my half axle and subframe...I aint doin that.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #154
bwallace530

Yea I am glad I dont have the XI. Alot of work just to do simple things I am guessing.

Well good luck and hopefully all goes well. Hope tomorrow I can post that I got my headers installed and join the club.

Good luck
Old 05-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #155
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum624 View Post
I actually do not and im not sure if thats a bad thing...I hope someone else can chime in with some answers. I was going to do my engine mounts as well but then i realized that that would require me dropping my half axle and subframe...I aint doin that.
drop axles and subframe for motor mounts??? lol no
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #156
bwallace530

How did you get the top O2's off. I cant seem to get a wrench on them?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #157
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
answer my question anyone?
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #158
bwallace530

Hey guys come on I really cant get a wrench around it?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #159
bwallace530

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mostarac View Post
answer my question anyone?

I am putting my air pump back on
Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #160
drumbum624

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
drop axles and subframe for motor mounts??? lol no
Yeah just finished getting my new passenger side motor mount in...that was just wrong what i said before