E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 1,146
My Ride: 2005 ZHP BMW
Send a message via AIM to BimmerBrakes
Very nice work and mod greg! :d
BimmerBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #22
clint999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 99
My Ride: SLK 230
Wow, I didn't realize it could break that bad. I'm hoping if this ever does happen the nut just shears or falls off and I can still save the engine. I'll be shifting at 6200 for the time being.
__________________
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity - Albert Einstein
Broadcasting Degrees
clint999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #23
OrientBlau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,454
My Ride: 2003 330i
New issue I just discovered. Good info in the thread.

I dont track the car, but Im pretty spirited in the street.

It seems hanging out around 6K for too long can cause this problem. I find myself often transient in this RPM range, but never for too long.

For someone who drives the car fairly hard in the street, (car is stock no SC or anything), at what mileage might I expect possible oil pump failure - how long do these oil pumps last and is it wise to replace as preventive maintenance at some mileage milestone?
__________________
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
New issue I just discovered. Good info in the thread.

I dont track the car, but Im pretty spirited in the street.

It seems hanging out around 6K for too long can cause this problem. I find myself often transient in this RPM range, but never for too long.

For someone who drives the car fairly hard in the street, (car is stock no SC or anything), at what mileage might I expect possible oil pump failure - how long do these oil pumps last and is it wise to replace as preventive maintenance at some mileage milestone?
on the previous page, mrshelley provides the clearest, most realistic answer around, IMO.
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #25
OrientBlau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,454
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
on the previous page, mrshelley provides the clearest, most realistic answer around, IMO.
No doubt. Its a very informative post.

But is the oil pump in general something that is rated for 200K+ miles or wouldit be wise to swap it out much earlier as preventive. The last thing I want is a starved engine.
__________________
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #26
TxZHP04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,728
My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
No doubt. Its a very informative post.

But is the oil pump in general something that is rated for 200K+ miles or wouldit be wise to swap it out much earlier as preventive. The last thing I want is a starved engine.
The oil pump issue described in this thread has absolutely nothing to do with mileage. You could have taken a car right off the assembly line and run it around an oval track at a steady 6500 rpm for a little while and backed the oil pump nut off. The issue is crank vibrations and keeping the engine speed up long enough for the harmonics to work their magic. A sprint to red line here and there is extremely unlikely to vibrate the nut off the pump shaft and as long as you can keep the nut in place and thus the sprocket on the shaft, the oil pump should easily last the life of the car. In short, a street driven car is unlikely to ever experience an oil pump problem.

As McSpeed has pointed out, mrshelley offers sage advice on this subject.
__________________
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #27
OrientBlau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,454
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
The oil pump issue described in this thread has absolutely nothing to do with mileage. You could have taken a car right off the assembly line and run it around an oval track at a steady 6500 rpm for a little while and backed the oil pump nut off. The issue is crank vibrations and keeping the engine speed up long enough for the harmonics to work their magic. A sprint to red line here and there is extremely unlikely to vibrate the nut off the pump shaft and as long as you can keep the nut in place and thus the sprocket on the shaft, the oil pump should easily last the life of the car. In short, a street driven car is unlikely to ever experience an oil pump problem.

As McSpeed has pointed out, mrshelley offers sage advice on this subject.
As I stated earlier, I understand that the issue being discussed involves hanging out at 6K for too long and too often.

I am more concerned with the life of the oil pump under normal operating conditions. However, as I said, I drive the car fairly hard on the street and see 6K often. Believe it or not, my car has less than 60K on it and I have had to change both pads and rotors FOUR times do to the aggressive way I drive. Rotors had severe lips too. This all factors in with my possibly abusing the oil pump. I have also had the red oil lamp come on and flicker on many occasions after driving it hard. Im wondering if maybe I have some issues with the oil pump. I am wondering if these pumps can last 200K+ of this type of driving. Otherwise, I wouldnt mind replacing it at some point.

Yes, I already acknowleged what mrshelley pointed it. Thanks for mentioning it again, though!
__________________
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #28
TxZHP04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,728
My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
Yes, I already acknowleged what mrshelley pointed it.
That's as definitive an answer as you're ever going to get, there are no absolutes here. The general consensus seems to be that street driven cars, or even cars that see occasional light track duty, should not expect to have problems. However, you're going to have to make your own assessment of the level of risk you feel your driving style creates as well as determine what your tolerance for this level of risk might be.
__________________
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #29
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
I am more concerned with the life of the oil pump under normal operating conditions...I have also had the red oil lamp come on and flicker on many occasions after driving it hard.
No matter how aggressively you drive, under street conditions with stock[ish] power, I'd say the oil pump is going to last and last, as it is literally bathed in oil. Like TxZHP04 is saying, pump malfunction is a matter of prolonged revving above 6k.

If the oil level light is flashing, it could is probably from oil sloshing to one side of the pan due to cornering forces. Not good really since it can mean the pump might suck air and fail to maintain oil pressure. That's why they make oil pan baffles. On the track people usually address this with either a baffle and/or overfilling the oil by a quart.
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #30
OrientBlau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,454
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
If the oil level light is flashing, it could is probably from oil sloshing to one side of the pan due to cornering forces. Not good really since it can mean the pump might suck air and fail to maintain oil pressure. That's why they make oil pan baffles. On the track people usually address this with either a baffle and/or overfilling the oil by a quart.
The red oil lamp flickers once Im in idle (slow traffic, red light) and low RPM without load, after pushing it hard. If I bring the idle up, move gear into N or P it disappears. One I shift back into D it begins to flicker again. The dealer coulkdnt find any problems and they just repalced the oil sender to placate me. Still happened after the replacement. Ive owned the carsicne new and it only began around 35K and I currently have 60K. I also keep the oil to the top notch as well.

Losing the engine will be a nightmare. Thats why Ive thogut maybe I need to replace the pump preemptively. Was wondering if others had premature oil pump failure who didnt track the car.
__________________
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #31
tim330i
Owner/Admin
 
tim330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,201
My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
My 330 nut backed off and ruined the engine at 47,500 miles. I had done two, maybe three AutoXs and no track days with the car. Stock flywheel/clutch. Only power mods were a Dinan intake and exhaust.

Not common, but it can happen without track time. I liked to take the car to redline but don't remember hanging out there.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #32
OrientBlau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,454
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
My 330 nut backed off and ruined the engine at 47,500 miles. I had done two, maybe three AutoXs and no track days with the car. Stock flywheel/clutch. Only power mods were a Dinan intake and exhaust.

Not common, but it can happen without track time. I liked to take the car to redline but don't remember hanging out there.

Tim

This is the type of story Im worried about.

I push this car really really hard at times and would not mind having the oil pump replaced preemptively.


Is it possible to determine whether the nut is close to being compromised?


Has anyone else had to have their oil pump replaced?

Is losing the oil pump GAME OVER, or if I shut down in time will I able to salvage it.

Yikes.
__________________
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #33
TxZHP04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,728
My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
This is the type of story Im worried about.

I push this car really really hard at times and would not mind having the oil pump replaced preemptively.


Is it possible to determine whether the nut is close to being compromised?


Has anyone else had to have their oil pump replaced?

Is losing the oil pump GAME OVER, or if I shut down in time will I able to salvage it.

Yikes.
You notice Tim said he had done 2-3 auto-x sessions. Auto-x'ing tends to keep the revs up for extended intervals unlike revving to red line and then upshifting.

The only way to tell if the nut is backing off is to drop the oil pan. And even if the nut is snug today, that doesn't mean that 20 seconds near red line tomorrow won't cause it to fall off the sprocket. If you cut the engine as soon as your oil pressure light comes on, you're probably fine. The problem comes when you don't notice the light, or in your case, don't know whether to trust the light.

If it would buy you peace of mind and you have the spare cash, just upgrade the pump and add an oil pan baffle. Unless you plan on upgrading to the pump described in this thread though, there is aboslutely no point in replacing the pump as the pump itself doesn't fail (the sprocket simply comes off).
__________________
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #34
OrientBlau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,454
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
You notice Tim said he had done 2-3 auto-x sessions. Auto-x'ing tends to keep the revs up for extended intervals unlike revving to red line and then upshifting.

The only way to tell if the nut is backing off is to drop the oil pan. And even if the nut is snug today, that doesn't mean that 20 seconds near red line tomorrow won't cause it to fall off the sprocket. If you cut the engine as soon as your oil pressure light comes on, you're probably fine. The problem comes when you don't notice the light, or in your case, don't know whether to trust the light.

If it would buy you peace of mind and you have the spare cash, just upgrade the pump and add an oil pan baffle. Unless you plan on upgrading to the pump described in this thread though, there is aboslutely no point in replacing the pump as the pump itself doesn't fail (the sprocket simply comes off).
Im gonna leave it in Gods hands!
__________________
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #35
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,475
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I got to visit Metric Mechanic 3 years ago. I asked them about this oil pump nut issue. They were not aware of the bad harmonics issue but mentioned that the nut will come right off if you spin the engine backwards. MM said this every BMW engine is like this.

But I would 100% go with MrShelley's assessment...how can you not trust a guy who can tell you how long your engine will run without oil
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #36
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
My 330 nut backed off and ruined the engine at 47,500 miles. I had done two, maybe three AutoXs and no track days with the car. Stock flywheel/clutch. Only power mods were a Dinan intake and exhaust.

Not common, but it can happen without track time. I liked to take the car to redline but don't remember hanging out there.
Hadn't seen this thread before: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=179608

So far I've only heard of this happening on '01's [stock, street cars anyway]. Tim's was another '01
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 04-22-2011 at 03:40 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #37
xdmikey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 541
My Ride: e46 cabrio
OrientBlau, i have the same issue except i get the yellow light but not necessarily after spirited driving.
i always check my oil in my ride as well as my truck since it(truck)has a bad rear main seal.
my oil light problem arose after an indy tech put royal purple in. dealer replaced oil sensor under cpo but the problem is back but not as bad as it was. i get the yellow only after i shut it down; before i was getting it while driving. only yellow, never red.
__________________
DINAN CAI, 3.46 DIFF, CDV DELETE,DINAN S2 & EXHAUST,HARDTOP,f/14 wheels
xdmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #38
Steven747
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,386
My Ride: 05 330ci
ok i read every post descriptively in this thread and all very good inforamtion.. i do very spirited driving and realize that at any given time the nut can wiggle itself loose and only down hill from there. my question is if the stock nut can come off at any time does the vac solution create a median between stock and the upgraded oil pump nut solution in this thread? would it give you better peace of mind than haveing the stock nut in?
please dont tell me mrshellys answer was the most diffinitive answer you can find because i can realize that..


lets say you did no spirited driving would the vac solution be a upgrade and make the nut more durable or last longer?
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #39
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
i do very spirited driving and realize that at any given time the nut can wiggle itself loose...
IMO: That's a big exaggeration^; stick with mrshelley's guideline. Tim's was an isolated incident (or maybe 01's are somehow extra vulnerable). I redlined my ZHP often and even after a few thousand miles turboed the nut was tight as hell. I was at around 80K when I replaced the pump. AggieE46's OPN wasn't going anywhere either when he checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
does the vac solution create a median between stock and the upgraded oil pump nut solution in this thread? would it give you better peace of mind than haveing the stock nut in?
I wouldn't consider the VAC pump at all given that, despite the hype on the VAC site,:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I have also heard from numerous other people that have installed this kit, on M54s, M52s, and S52s, and have had oil pump failures. It may allow the oil pump to last a little bit longer than the OEM piece, but eventually it fails.
I'd say if you're putting in the not inconsiderable effort to get to the pump, you might as well do it right.
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #40
mrshelley
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 916
My Ride: 2004 330i
As if you guys are worried enough, wait until someone breaks a valve spring retainer.
__________________
mrshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use