E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
IL IN MI MN OH WI

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #121
starkfu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 69
My Ride: '05 M3 SMG
parking isn't bad when you work at the school of business and can park underground

I am also a student here at UWM.
starkfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #122
jneumann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,065
My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
So what weekend works best for everyone? I prefer Sundays, but I can probably make a Saturday work if needed.

Was anyone here in Janesville this morning? I took this picture after walking out of Cost Cutters around noon.

__________________
E46 323i Sport/5 speed/TiAg | 242k miles
E85 Z4 3.0i Sport/6 speed/Toledo Blue | 96k miles
E39 530i M-Sport/5 speed/Topaz Blue | 231k miles

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #123
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,570
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
So what weekend works best for everyone? I prefer Sundays, but I can probably make a Saturday work if needed.
I will be down in the Milwaukee area over memorial day weekend, so any day over that weekend works for me (except Saturday).
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #124
jneumann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,065
My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I will be down in the Milwaukee area over memorial day weekend, so any day over that weekend works for me (except Saturday).
Does the 29th work for everyone else?
__________________
E46 323i Sport/5 speed/TiAg | 242k miles
E85 Z4 3.0i Sport/6 speed/Toledo Blue | 96k miles
E39 530i M-Sport/5 speed/Topaz Blue | 231k miles

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #125
bonb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 59
My Ride: 98-328i, 04-M3
Im in chicago but always go back to mn, can drop by if time and place is right!!!
bonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #126
TrickTizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis/Milwaukee
Posts: 3,112
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Nice! What year are you in and what are you studying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkfu View Post
parking isn't bad when you work at the school of business and can park underground

I am also a student here at UWM.


Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #127
Adam330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pewaukee, WI
Posts: 335
My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
Does the 29th work for everyone else?
Unfortunately I will be up north until Monday Morning.....

The 30th around noon? Just throwin it our there
__________________
2003 Silver Grey Mettalic M3 - 6 Speed 19" Gunmetal VMR VB3 - LED's Everywhere
Adam330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #128
jneumann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,065
My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam330i View Post
The 30th around noon? Just throwin it our there
I should be able to make that work.
__________________
E46 323i Sport/5 speed/TiAg | 242k miles
E85 Z4 3.0i Sport/6 speed/Toledo Blue | 96k miles
E39 530i M-Sport/5 speed/Topaz Blue | 231k miles

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #129
TrickTizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis/Milwaukee
Posts: 3,112
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
...Dynavin installed.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #130
Mouf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 231
My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Now we just need to get Cyanmod working on a version for Dynavin.
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #131
jneumann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,065
My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouf View Post
Now we just need to get Cyanmod working on a version for Dynavin.
You should donate one!

I would donate mine, but it's already in my car.
__________________
E46 323i Sport/5 speed/TiAg | 242k miles
E85 Z4 3.0i Sport/6 speed/Toledo Blue | 96k miles
E39 530i M-Sport/5 speed/Topaz Blue | 231k miles

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #132
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,570
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam330i View Post
Unfortunately I will be up north until Monday Morning.....

The 30th around noon? Just throwin it our there
I would be a maybe for that, I might be able to stretch my trip out. Can one of you PM me your expected route? Just so I can see how it would work for me to get back to MN.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #133
bonb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 59
My Ride: 98-328i, 04-M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I would be a maybe for that, I might be able to stretch my trip out. Can one of you PM me your expected route? Just so I can see how it would work for me to get back to MN.
having some update would be helpful for everyone from outstates and who has tight time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
bonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #134
Beau-Beau
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 63
My Ride: '99 328i
Hey sup guys, just joined the forum to do a little researching before i buy an e46.


I currently have an Acura RSX-S and i was just wondering how you guys get around in the winter if you DD your BMW.
Beau-Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #135
jneumann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,065
My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau-Beau View Post
Hey sup guys, just joined the forum to do a little researching before i buy an e46.


I currently have an Acura RSX-S and i was just wondering how you guys get around in the winter if you DD your BMW.
Winter tires. In my personal opinion, should be damn near required for any car you DD in the winter. My e46 just blows my previous FWD cars out of the water (or snow, in this case) with winter tires. The only thing I would change if I could would be ride height in the winter. Well worth the ~$400 for a set of Winterforces or Blizzaks.

Background - Drove ~15k miles this winter alone. I would not have taken any other vehicle for the job.
__________________
E46 323i Sport/5 speed/TiAg | 242k miles
E85 Z4 3.0i Sport/6 speed/Toledo Blue | 96k miles
E39 530i M-Sport/5 speed/Topaz Blue | 231k miles

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #136
Beau-Beau
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 63
My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
Winter tires. In my personal opinion, should be damn near required for any car you DD in the winter. My e46 just blows my previous FWD cars out of the water (or snow, in this case) with winter tires. The only thing I would change if I could would be ride height in the winter. Well worth the ~$400 for a set of Winterforces or Blizzaks.

Background - Drove ~15k miles this winter alone. I would not have taken any other vehicle for the job.
Good to hear some positive feedback on this. I was wondering about RWD with winter tires vs FWD with all season. I hear both ways on this subject.
Beau-Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #137
jneumann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,065
My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau-Beau View Post
Good to hear some positive feedback on this. I was wondering about RWD with winter tires vs FWD with all season. I hear both ways on this subject.
I've had 2 FWD cars with all seasons, even got brand new all seasons on the one car mid-winter (3 weeks before buying my e46, doh!) and my e46 with winter tires on their second season w/ about 1/2 tread left still beats out both of them, easily. Near 50-50 weight distribution really helps too, since once I get it sliding (which is much harder than you think on winter tires) it is very predictable and easy to recover... or push it just a little harder.

Welcome to the forum btw! Whereabouts are you?
__________________
E46 323i Sport/5 speed/TiAg | 242k miles
E85 Z4 3.0i Sport/6 speed/Toledo Blue | 96k miles
E39 530i M-Sport/5 speed/Topaz Blue | 231k miles

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ


Last edited by jneumann; 05-11-2011 at 11:36 PM.
jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #138
Beau-Beau
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 63
My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
I've had 2 FWD cars with all seasons, even got brand new all seasons on the one car mid-winter (3 weeks before buying my e46, doh!) and my e46 with winter tires on their second season w/ about 1/2 tread left still beats out both of them, easily. Near 50-50 weight distribution really helps too, since once I get it sliding (which is much harder than you think on winter tires) it is very predictable and easy to recover... or push it just a little harder.

Welcome to the forum btw! Whereabouts are you?
Haha cool, thanks for the input! I'm from Mineral Point, about 50 miles southwest of Madison. I know the odds of me finding a manual XI aren't in my favor ha.
Beau-Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #139
jneumann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,065
My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau-Beau View Post
Haha cool, thanks for the input! I'm from Mineral Point, about 50 miles southwest of Madison. I know the odds of me finding a manual XI aren't in my favor ha.
Jealous. You have a lot of fun roads near you. My friend and I try to go out there driving at least once a month or so. (He's from Madison, and I am near Janesville)

As for a manual xi, yeah, good luck. What's your budget? I found one manual xi around my price range of ~$10k while looking for my car, and that was sold before I got a chance to see it. Finding a good manual e46 is bad enough with how many automatics there are out there...

Ended up getting a 5spd 323i ZSP/ZCW/HK/leather with extra rims/tires and a maintenance history going back 130k miles for $6k (first hand records to 60k, dealer records to 3k) Previous owner had fixed so many things I didn't have to even touch much for the first year of ownership.

I am assuming you are probably looking for a manual 330xi w/ZSP and maybe ZCW?
__________________
E46 323i Sport/5 speed/TiAg | 242k miles
E85 Z4 3.0i Sport/6 speed/Toledo Blue | 96k miles
E39 530i M-Sport/5 speed/Topaz Blue | 231k miles

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ


Last edited by jneumann; 05-11-2011 at 11:59 PM.
jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #140
Beau-Beau
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 63
My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
Jealous. You have a lot of fun roads near you. My friend and I try to go out there driving at least once a month or so. (He's from Madison, and I am near Janesville)

As for a manual xi, yeah, good luck. What's your budget? I found one manual xi around my price range of ~$10k while looking for my car, and that was sold before I got a chance to see it. Finding a good manual e46 is bad enough with how many automatics there are out there...

Ended up getting a 5spd 323i ZSP/ZCW/leather with extra rims/tires and a maintenance history going back 130k miles for $6k (first hand records to 60k, dealer records to 3k) Previous owner had fixed so many things I didn't have to even touch much for the first year of ownership.
The turns may be fun, but the roads themselves are terrible lol. Especially when daily driving this


My budget is about $8.5k, hoping to find a clean 328i or 330i with ~100k miles. Also, have you seen a nice silver RSX-S around Janesville? I know a guy in Janesville with one, sooo nice.
Beau-Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use